Paranoid about wearing blaze orange

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Paranoid about wearing blaze orange

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:56 am

Does anyone else get paranoid about wearing blaze orange while they bowhunt during muzzle loader season? I hate how people can see exactly where you are sitting from about a mile away. I sometimes feel like I am going to do more harm than good by attracting people to the areas where I am sitting...

Dewey

Re: Paranoid about wearing blaze orange

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:07 am

Same here. I tend to avoid my best spots to avoid giving them away to prying eyes. Saving them for later when I can ditch the orange. I will be out this weekend sitting some deeper hard to get to spots where I rarely see other hunters.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:09 am

Is it required in the tree?

Sit from dark to dark.

I absolutely hate wearing orange in and around my actual setups. Still- hunting I don't care.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:14 am

PK_ wrote:Is it required in the tree?

Sit from dark to dark.

I absolutely hate wearing orange in and around my actual setups. Still- hunting I don't care.

Yes it has to be on at all times.

For me it's only this weekend so it's not really a big deal I suppose. Next weekend is antlerless only state wide so I will not be hunting. After that no more pumpkin outfit. :dance:

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:17 am

I wear an orange hat and vest and use a headlamp while walking in the dark for safety especially during gun season on public. I will turn my headlamp off or switch it to red light when I get closer to my set up.

I also carry a camo coat with me that I put on over my orange vest once I am up in the tree. I also carry my camo beast beanie that I put on over my orange hat. In reality I only have my orange hat bill visible once I get settled. I rarely see other hunters or wardens anyway.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:23 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Does anyone else get paranoid about wearing blaze orange while they bowhunt during muzzle loader season? I hate how people can see exactly where you are sitting from about a mile away. I sometimes feel like I am going to do more harm than good by attracting people to the areas where I am sitting...

I agree with this 100%. But also think most guys are too self absorbed to worry about where I am. If a bruiser was shot by me I would try to be the only one left in the area before going to truck. Bragging is for family only lol.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:25 am

Dewey wrote:Same here. I tend to avoid my best spots to avoid giving them away to prying eyes. Saving them for later when I can ditch the orange. I will be out this weekend sitting some deeper hard to get to spots where I rarely see other hunters.

Same here! The orange sucks! I can't wait til the 12th!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:02 am

Dont have any good enough "secret" spots to worry about yet...but, I will try to get out this weekend in an area thats only bow just because of less pressure
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:03 am

I smile at this. Just be glad that you only have to wear it for a few weeks. We have to wear it from the first Saturday in November (youth opener) until season goes out Jan 31. Fortunately we had a law passed a couple of years ago where we can take it off if over 12 foot up a tree.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:15 am

thwack16 wrote:I smile at this. Just be glad that you only have to wear it for a few weeks. We have to wear it from the first Saturday in November (youth opener) until season goes out Jan 31. Fortunately we had a law passed a couple of years ago where we can take it off if over 12 foot up a tree.

Wow...That sucks! What state?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:47 am

X2

Where are you hunting?

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:32 pm

Man I guess I don't have it as bad as others...can't imagine wearing orange that long

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:36 pm

The only time we have to wear it bowhunting is during the 2 week general firearm season. Muzzleloader we don't have to wear orange if bowhunting.

NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Never knew that Hawthorne! Not a fan of muzzleloading and was not hitting my state land spots because of this very reason. Thanks for the info!

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:55 am

We're supposed to be in orange at all times during gun seasons. But most hunters - including gun hunters - wear orange in and orange out, but go full camo once in the tree... It's not per reg - but that's how most hunters I've seen around here roll. They wear reversible hats for example that they can just flip to the camo side when in the tree. They carry in their outer layer (as ot not sweat on the hike in) and put it on over orange when in the tree. Not saying I do that - I pretty much follow the regs even though I don't like some of them. Like not being able to carry a sidearm while bow hunting...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”