Inventory tactics on the public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NBK438

Inventory tactics on the public

Unread postby NBK438 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Looking back on this season and seasons past, one issue that keeps popping up is the gathering of an inventory and making sure a buck of the right caliber is in the area. With me hunting more public than private next year, I wanted to hear some tactics you guys use to gather an inventory in the summer or early fall months and how you continue to monitor your cams throughout the rest of the season and see whose using the property. Thanks in advance!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Inventory tactics on the public

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:38 am

I can't afford to run trail cameras (college student) but I know lots of guys use trail cameras and mount them 8-10 feet up a tree and angled downward. Take a climbing stick or two with you to do it. Just make sure cameras are legal in your area and attachment is also legal (no screw in mounts in most public areas). This way you can take inventory and greatly decrease odds of stuff being stolen. Another popular one is to do observation sits during the year if you can handle the summer heat. Some guys do this as well. If you can afford it, some of my friends really like the cell cams that send pics to your phone so you don't have to go check cameras all the time.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:13 am

I use trail cameras mounted high. Observation sits in good vantage points. You have to play the winds just like you'd be hunting. Shinning is also a great way to see what's in your area. Large tracks let you know their are mature deer also. 3 or 4 fingers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:37 am

If you're hunting more public next year might not hurt to purchase hunting marsh bucks DVD and/ or marsh bedding. It explains well how to keep your cameras back and also how to relate those nighttime pictures back to primary bedding areas. I learned a ton from those dvds

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:44 am

I run a single camera. I would say observation sits are my favorite way to know what's in your area. But in order for them to be worth it you must first locate bedding.

A good staging area is also a good place for an observation sit. Edge's of CRP feilds. There also fun.

I like trail cameras but I honestly don't use mine or have enough to even make it worth my time. I just play with it. I would say hard scouting and sits will help just as well as camera pictures. IMO

Joe™
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks for the replys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”