Overlooked spot vs remote spots

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

Overlooked spot vs remote spots

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:51 am

Im having a hard time finding the confidence to start hunting overlooked spots near roads and parkin lots. Ive always tried to get way back on public but after kayaking a mile and not seein a deer gun or bow in these remote place im gona start trying to find some overlooked areas. Would u guys still say your remote spots spots are your best bets?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Overlooked spot vs remote spots

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:31 am

No, but scouted spots are. Dont just hunt a spot because it's overlooked if you don't have the confidence. Scout that spot first. If it turns out good, hunt it with confidence. If it turns out a dude, move on and don't waste your time.

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:43 am

I was doing some scouting today in an area I've hunted before. Was scouting some swampy red brush areas to set up a camera. Found a buck bed and from it could see the road. There is a trail hunters take not 100 yards up the road. They walk right by.

So with that said it never hurts to look. "when we in doubt, check it out"

I only searched this spot because I'm betting that 99% of the hunters that scramble around the woods are not going to walk into that part of the area.

Joe™
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:27 am

brkissl82 wrote:Would u guys still say your remote spots spots are your best bets?

It totally depends on sign, and average hunter tendencies.... NOT distance from the parking lot. The bottom line......mature bucks want solitude, security, and the ability to use their senses to detect danger before it is a threat. Usually this is a combination of remote location (minimal intrusion), and terrain features that allow the buck to use his ears/nose (especially nose) to detect a predator. Typically this means a long (or physically difficult) walk for the hunter. Sometimes the location is close to the parking lot but will only be used if the location has all the ingredients (terrain a buck can use to his advantage). In this case you can usually substitute "physically difficult" with "overlooked"......but not always.

In other words, the spot is NOT going to be mature buck bedding simply because no humans visit it. It ALSO needs to allow him to use his senses to protect himself. Proper terrain features are a requirement. I would say 90% of my mature buck bedding areas are indeed remote and hard to get to. The other 10% are close to parking, but even these usually require me to get wet.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:53 pm

As others have said, It all depends on the sign.

I found a couple buck bedding areas this year in overlooked areas fairly close to the road.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:56 pm

Ok so let me play devils advocate. Ive read on a difderent thread that some of the biggest bucks layed very little sign.

Ive also found spots that had a lot of deer sign and a lot of hunter sign. So im guessing that sign was made at nite

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:59 pm

brkissl82 wrote:Ok so let me play devils advocate. Ive read on a difderent thread that some of the biggest bucks layed very little sign.

Ive also found spots that had a lot of deer sign and a lot of hunter sign. So im guessing that sign was made at nite

That sounds correct. In the past week I have seen large tracks at two properties. Big bucks are still around but those tracks were in very unprotected areas=night sign.

Overlooked spots are worth hunting and just take as much intel away as possible.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:07 am

brkissl82 wrote:Ok so let me play devils advocate. Ive read on a difderent thread that some of the biggest bucks layed very little sign.

I found one spot by bumping the buck (nice 10 pointer) during an in-season scouting mission. It had very little sign, but great security. Marsh on 2 sides. He escaped right thru the water in the marsh.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:08 am

Depends on the buck... aggressive breeding bucks lay down a lot of sign. Probably too much, it attracts a lot of attention. Not all sign is made at night, and even if a buck is not leaving much sign in his bedroom, there will be sign he is living there if your good at picking that up...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:48 am

If you lack confidence in over looked spots, its probably cause you don't have much experience with them... Scouting in spring and looking at all the beds or lack of beds can tell you which ones to hunt... Also, my gun hunting tells me which ones are good. I only sit stands for the 1st and last hour in my gun season, the rest of the time we are driving the over looked stuff by the roads and parking lots, or Im still hunting thru them... When you see the caliber of bucks that come out, you will have your confidence. ;) This year I shot my gun buck right next to a parking lot in an over looked spot where I have shot big bucks in gun season 7 times prior... We also put up a giant non-typical that got thru the drivers relatively close to the parking lot in an over looked area.

If your wondering if bucks bed there the answer is simple... Go in there and find out. Some times you gotta get a little mud on the boots.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Thats the funny part dan. I have put boots on the ground and found good sign. But mentally getting to think there is a big buck that close to the road or parkin lot vs a remote location is hard so i usually end up goin remote

Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:54 pm

Going out on a limb here, but is it not true that if a buck is bedded in an "overlooked spot", it is because this spot happens to offer the same level of security as a remote location..In this situation perhaps being closer to pressure is actually safer for the buck...Overlooked by humans and utilized by the deer..I have seen this on multiple occasions this season.

In one of my best spots hunting pressure is less than 100 yards away..Mignt as well be a mile..Distance is irrelavant..The overlooked spot is very secure.

Where I live if you walk a half mile your hitting a road and getting closer to the next guy.I am constantly on the lookout for these types of locations.

I would also mention that without scouting and determining exactly where the hunting pressure is coming from and when, it would be very difficult to determine if a spot is "overlooked".

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:23 am

Lastcast#1 wrote:Going out on a limb here, but is it not true that if a buck is bedded in an "overlooked spot", it is because this spot happens to offer the same level of security as a remote location..In this situation perhaps being closer to pressure is actually safer for the buck...Overlooked by humans and utilized by the deer..I have seen this on multiple occasions this season.

In one of my best spots hunting pressure is less than 100 yards away..Mignt as well be a mile..Distance is irrelavant..The overlooked spot is very secure.

Where I live if you walk a half mile your hitting a road and getting closer to the next guy.I am constantly on the lookout for these types of locations.

I would also mention that without scouting and determining exactly where the hunting pressure is coming from and when, it would be very difficult to determine if a spot is "overlooked".

Correct... By me, the remote stuff has less big bucks than the over looked stuff by the road. You got guys boating in, hiking in, etc. trying to get farther out. But in reality, the major deciding factors for a bedding spot are habitat, and lack of pressure... Any spot you find a big buck holed up is in reality an over looked spot... For me, the ones along side the road have produced much better than anywhere else on big ones.

Guys have a mental block about what big buck habitat should look like and they need to get over that and really concentrate on where there is no pressure and good habitat.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:48 am

Ya sometimes you have to just forget how close or far something is and just go for those areas no one else is hunting. Some of my overlooked spots are close, sometimes they are a mile back but only 150 yards off a mowed trail or from another stand. They can be any distance in between. For me anyway they don't appear to be great bedding right away but after some experience in the area I hunt they turn out to be the best/safest bedding around because everything else is getting pounded no matter how far back you go.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:02 am

A few of the overlooked spot I found were just stumbled on. I kicked up a buck while scouting or was trailing a hit deer. Then I would go back investigate why they were bedding in those areas. And usually it was a similar bedding situation to a remote spot, just in an area they were rarely bothered close to a road or parking area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”