Post gun season hunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Post gun season hunting

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:06 pm

OK, Wisconsin gun season ends tomorrow. I don't gun hunt and am itching to get back in the woods. I'm planning on bowhunting during the muzzleloader season because the pressure is much less. It seems that some of my areas were been driven during gun season. What are your guys best tactics to hunt post gun season bucks? Should I still bed hunting?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Post gun season hunting

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:14 pm

This is a good question. We get a ton of gun pressure here in PA. I'm also curious of post season tactics.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:16 am

Bump

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:13 am

I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna continue to hunt remote and overlooked suspected bedding. Time will tell if it works.

One thing I see over and over with these tips from the true beasts are they know or have a good idea where the bedding is. If you know where the bedding is you have a chance.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:41 am

Thick bedding is always my first choice. I'm just lacking a bunch of good bedding spots. My next late season choice is food sources. Though with this warmer weather, I'm not sure if they will be hitting them hard yet?

I usually end up using late season as a pre-scout of areas I haven't hunted for next year. Which I think is one of my biggest problems.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:08 am

Late season is tough. The big bucks are still there but more reclusive than ever. You need to find bedding that hasn't been hit hard, and the colder and snowier it is the better.

The big ones are going to be in the thick. You can count on that.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:46 am

My best day of bowhunting was the week after gun season. My uncles were muzzleloading their usual spots they pushed every day of the gun season. I sat a remote hardwood ridge that had a huge swamp right next to it. I don't think the temperature got above zero that day. They saw nothing, and I lost count of all the deer I saw. Had to be at least 20-30. And a majority of my biggest bucks ever seen from the stand came on that day. No shots at anything, wasn't shooting more than 20 yards due to the cold. And this is hunting the central forest maybe 4-5 years ago. And there was close to a foot of snow on the ground.

Personally, late season turns into scouting for me. I do a lot of ice fishing so any time in the woods during the winter is valuable. Just make sure to sit fresh sign. I don't get sitting a spot that looks good but has no sign. IMO, you get a deer late season bowhunting, A DEER, that is impressive in my book
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:55 pm

Im not much of a gun hunter anymore so I take my hunting time during gun season and use it to scout hunters. I try to locate the areas that are getting pounded by the gun guys and I try to locate the areas of lowest pressure. I just went yesterday and put cameras in 4 of the areas I found little to no pressure to see what is still roaming around. Some of these areas are very small in size so dont overlook those little hidden spots. I have one area that is a known bedding area that always gets overlooked, it is only 30 acres...but I guarantee there is at least one good buck bedding there right now and likely more than one.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:30 pm

G3s wrote:Im not much of a gun hunter anymore so I take my hunting time during gun season and use it to scout hunters. I try to locate the areas that are getting pounded by the gun guys and I try to locate the areas of lowest pressure. I just went yesterday and put cameras in 4 of the areas I found little to no pressure to see what is still roaming around. Some of these areas are very small in size so dont overlook those little hidden spots. I have one area that is a known bedding area that always gets overlooked, it is only 30 acres...but I guarantee there is at least one good buck bedding there right now and likely more than one.

Some of my best bowhunting spots are little 40's surrounded by miles of private land. The only thing that makes it better is when the neighboring landowner marks it as private 8-)
Not sure how it would be late season though.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
neloms@5
Facebook: 2750 s 46th st

Unread postby neloms@5 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:38 pm

The only thing I would add to the already sound advice of the others is make sure you are in a tree with good cover. The deer are so edgy during late season they seem to be able to pick you off even easier than normal. Stay hyper aware and be ready. You won't get away with any movement.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:00 pm

neloms@5 wrote:The only thing I would add to the already sound advice of the others is make sure you are in a tree with good cover. The deer are so edgy during late season they seem to be able to pick you off even easier than normal. Stay hyper aware and be ready. You won't get away with any movement.

I can attest to this. I had a doe come by me last week and I swear she pegged me from about 80 yards away with the wind in my favor. She didn't bust right away but knew something did not look right.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:13 am

[glow=red][/glow]
G3s wrote:Im not much of a gun hunter anymore so I take my hunting time during gun season and use it to scout hunters. [glow=red]I try to locate the areas that are getting pounded by the gun guys and I try to locate the areas of lowest pressure. I just went yesterday and put cameras in 4 of the areas I found little to no pressure to see what is still roaming around.[/glow] Some of these areas are very small in size so dont overlook those little hidden spots. I have one area that is a known bedding area that always gets overlooked, it is only 30 acres...but I guarantee there is at least one good buck bedding there right now and likely more than one.

I'm doing this today! Great minds....
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:00 am

I have found that hunting in S.E Wis. public land is very hard after gun season. I almost never see a deer and when I do , I kick it up or see them walking out. I have yet to get a late season shot d own here. Yesterday , I went to the marsh, walked 2.15 miles and found a few fresh tracks that were made after the rain a few days ago. Tomorrow I will try tracking in the snow and find some areas with some tracks around. I hope to find a pattern but I doubt it . I dont know where in the world the deer go after gun season. They really dont even seem to be there for muzzy and late season bow.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 am

ihookem wrote:I have found that hunting in S.E Wis. public land is very hard after gun season. I almost never see a deer and when I do , I kick it up or see them walking out. I have yet to get a late season shot d own here. Yesterday , I went to the marsh, walked 2.15 miles and found a few fresh tracks that were made after the rain a few days ago. Tomorrow I will try tracking in the snow and find some areas with some tracks around. I hope to find a pattern but I doubt it . I dont know where in the world the deer go after gun season. They really dont even seem to be there for muzzy and late season bow.

Daylight movement slowed down on heavily hunted public from gun/muzzleloader/antlerless hunt really doesn't start picking up again until late December. Thankfully we will have no Holiday antlerless hunt here so that gives us 2-3 weeks to work with. Hoping for real bitter cold weather since that really helps early movement.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”