Some observations of public land pressure.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

Re: Some observations of public land pressure.

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:40 am

Naternate, how often do you see deer on the public there. I see deer about 1 in 3 sits.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:08 pm

I had moderate pressure in gun season on the public lands I hunt. Bowhunting pressure was very heavy in comparison. In other years I've seen the opposite.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:42 am

bigwoodshuntn wrote:I would have to put a lot of miles on my truck driving around up north during gun season to find 50-60 vehicles. I hardly saw any other hunters outside of our groups on the public I was hunting this gun season, not that I want to be selfish but hopefully that means a few more deer will see another year to live.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yeah I don't see many guys in this area either. Granted I do all day sits for the first 3-4 days. Only guys I saw were the ones who stay a couple houses down from us going to and from their stands during the day. The amount of shots heard was drastically less.

One thing I have noted with people where I hunt is that nobody likes walking. Everybody likes to be within a half mile of their vehicle. This would change when you have more guys as the chances of getting a more hardcore guy increase. You pass that half mile marker and then you really start seeing sign of deer. I really noticed a drop in people once the baiting ban took place. Still some baiting going on illegally but overall less people than I have seen.

Keep in mind that this is a good 45 min drive from the nearest decent sized city. The few hunters around here are the locals and occasional weekend warrior who has a cabin in the area (my family).

Bigwoodshuntn, we should try to meet up next season, would love to pick your brain a little bit about the area. Might have already run into you and not even realized it
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Jonny wrote:
bigwoodshuntn wrote:I would have to put a lot of miles on my truck driving around up north during gun season to find 50-60 vehicles. I hardly saw any other hunters outside of our groups on the public I was hunting this gun season, not that I want to be selfish but hopefully that means a few more deer will see another year to live.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yeah I don't see many guys in this area either. Granted I do all day sits for the first 3-4 days. Only guys I saw were the ones who stay a couple houses down from us going to and from their stands during the day. The amount of shots heard was drastically less.

One thing I have noted with people where I hunt is that nobody likes walking. Everybody likes to be within a half mile of their vehicle. This would change when you have more guys as the chances of getting a more hardcore guy increase. You pass that half mile marker and then you really start seeing sign of deer. I really noticed a drop in people once the baiting ban took place. Still some baiting going on illegally but overall less people than I have seen.

Keep in mind that this is a good 45 min drive from the nearest decent sized city. The few hunters around here are the locals and occasional weekend warrior who has a cabin in the area (my family).

Bigwoodshuntn, we should try to meet up next season, would love to pick your brain a little bit about the area. Might have already run into you and not even realized it

I was only down to that part of the world thanksgiving and the second weekend. Didn't see a ton of people just the usual camps and a few groups making drives.

And absolutely send me a message whenever your around in that area I'm not to far of a drive away at all. Can pick out a new area to both of us and go chase down a big one!

Hunter
alfsisaiah

Unread postby alfsisaiah » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:31 am

I hunt public land that used to have access trails/logging roads throughout for industrial reasons. Last weekend of bow season there were 47 hunters signed in on a 2000 acre piece. About half of that is wooded rest are fields. Thats a lot of pressure heres what I saw. If there is a logging road or easily walkable feature that will allow people to easily access places AND find their way back out people will walk much further. I saw countless people past the one mile mark at any given place on this property. Keep away from any easy walking point in these situations. The harder the walking the more your sweating or the deeper the water is where the deer are. Still killed a pope and young buck the both years that this property has been open. Thats with 30-40+ hunters every single weekend in bow season. Thats a hunter per 30 acres of huntable land. STAY AWAY from roads and easy access points no matter how far they are away from parking. If people can walk a road or trail to get somewhere they will.
naternate

Unread postby naternate » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:49 am

ihookem wrote:Naternate, how often do you see deer on the public there. I see deer about 1 in 3 sits.

I would say this year I saw deer on a little over half of my sits. I really need to start a journal of my hunts to get an accurate picture
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:51 am

Opening day of bow, I had 5 flashlights come back into a spot I was hunting. Gun season was ridiculous for a Tuesday. There are a couple reasons why. One the state planted some corn this year on public. Another is gas prices were down. There isn't a ton of public land in the area I'm from, most people have to drive at least an hour to the nearest public land.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:58 am

Here in Iowa, there is more bow hunting pressure every year on public, but less gun pressure. I keep track of licence plates, helps me adjust my strategy.

In the last 10 years or so shed hunting & spring scouting pressure has exploded. I have quit shed hunting on public land for the most part, its a rat race to every antler and I would rather just focus on the deer.

whitetailassasin wrote:Opening day of bow, I had 5 flashlights come back into a spot I was hunting. Gun season was ridiculous for a Tuesday. There are a couple reasons why. One the state planted some corn this year on public. Another is gas prices were down. There isn't a ton of public land in the area I'm from, most people have to drive at least an hour to the nearest public land.

Nothing draws hunters like food plots on public land! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”