Travel Hunters Camp Rig

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowkill00

Travel Hunters Camp Rig

Unread postby bowkill00 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:20 pm

Curious how beasts on this site camp when traveling out of state hunting cheap. Tent/RV/camper shell top or just sleep in the vehicle. I carry a fold up cot in my camper shell on my truck. Any ideas or pics would be appreciated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

megwan

Re: Travel Hunters Camp Rig

Unread postby megwan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:14 pm

Wall tent

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:19 pm

I just recently sold a camping trailer that was good for everything. 7x12 box trailer Carson brand. It was a hybrid box/camping situation with Windows, normal side door, electric, lights.

We downgraded to tents and camper shell on the f150. It is a big change but the gasoline savings counts for a lot. Having said that, a small flat trailer is like nothing behind you compared to any box or camper trailer.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Wish I could sleep in my vehicles. That would be nice.

I've got a couple tents and a "tent cot". The tent cot is a good way for me to do a 2-4 day solo trip - basically a cot with a tent shell on it that is tall enough to sit up in.

If I was going for more than just a long week (9 days), I'd do something else but can handle tenting for a week or so.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:03 pm

When hunting remote areas in the U.P I oftern empty out one of my tool trailers and take an air mattress a few sheet of 2" blue board a generator and a ceramic heater. Sleep comfy and warm as can be, and have all the room in the world for stands, equipment and dead critters on the way home.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:05 pm

I setup a blow up mattress in the back seat of my f150 supercrew.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:46 pm

When I went to ND this year it was nice enough for me to stay in a tent at a state park but someday I would like to build something like what Bernie Barringer put together. It's basically an enclosed trailer with some storage, sleeping quarters, power, and a freezer installed.

Check out this link for a video of his setup: http://www.bowhuntingroad.com/the-diy-hunting-trailer/

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:39 pm

Did five nights in the truck this year and wasn't too bad. Chose that over a tent since the seats are a bit better in the truck than most cots or inflatable mattresses i've used in the past. That said, i was ready to crawl in bed on day 6. :lol:
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:55 pm

In Ky we sleep in the shop (with a nice wood stove), but the couple of Ga trips I have done I just used my tent, cot, buddy heater, and 3 piece modular sleep system from my army days. Not gonna lie it can be tough to get out of that bag if it's in the 20s or below and if I went to bed tired and didn't put the clothes I'm putting on in the bottom of my bag I am miserable for a half hour. In Florida I tent camp a lot for short hunts. I really want to get a nice wall tent for the trips I'm planning to start taking in the next few years.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:41 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:When I went to ND this year it was nice enough for me to stay in a tent at a state park but someday I would like to build something like what Bernie Barringer put together. It's basically an enclosed trailer with some storage, sleeping quarters, power, and a freezer installed.

Check out this link for a video of his setup: http://www.bowhuntingroad.com/the-diy-hunting-trailer/

That got my wheels turning

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:35 am

cedarsavage wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:When I went to ND this year it was nice enough for me to stay in a tent at a state park but someday I would like to build something like what Bernie Barringer put together. It's basically an enclosed trailer with some storage, sleeping quarters, power, and a freezer installed.

That got my wheels turning

Deerdylan showed me this awhile ago. I'm basically just waiting on a good trailer at a good price. I have a few different modifications in mind.

This year in Ky I stayed in a 8 person tent for a week, plenty of room for a cot and such. If I had to pack in then it would of been my bivy tent. I have no problem with it, just wished I would of set up near a creek to bathe in. I also love back country hunting so I have all the equipment for week trips.

MedicineMan15

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:17 am

Here's my truck and camper rig that my uncle and i used 4 days hunting some public hill country in Wisconsin in November. If it would have been just me, or for a shorter duration i probably would have just slept in the truck. But the camper makes multiple day forays easier with the 2 of us. Plus then we had running water and a functional kitchen. Not exactly roughing itImage

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:52 am

I spend up to 5 weeks on the road. I pull a 16 ft camper. The best thing I ever bought was a Honda 3000 watt generator. They are a bit pricy but worth every penny. Hodag hooked me up with the one I got. It was new but scuffed in shipping so I got a great price on it. I don't even notice it running just outside my camper. When my furnace went out I ran the generator all night to run an ele. heater.

bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:20 am

Anybody ever have any carbon monoxide problems while using a heater buddy or any propane fuel for their heat sorce in a confined space like a truck camper shell? I guess as long as it's properly ventilated shouldn't have anything to worry ab

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:07 pm

bowkill00 wrote:Anybody ever have any carbon monoxide problems while using a heater buddy or any propane fuel for their heat sorce in a confined space like a truck camper shell? I guess as long as it's properly ventilated shouldn't have anything to worry ab

I never have but my bil had some friends die from it running a heater in a tent.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”