Need some advice from marshy \ public land warriors!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

freeboro

Need some advice from marshy \ public land warriors!

Unread postby freeboro » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:04 am

I got my buck in PA and now am focusing a little time in Ohio. Where I'm from, we have very little in the way of marshland and areas like this with several bigger creeks / rivers so I'm a bit overwhelmed with where to go. I'm wondering if any of you might help point me in the right direction? There gun season opens on Monday the 28th, so I'm scouting for that at the moment. Archery runs into February so I can get out there with a bow too but I can't make it out there before gun season.

This is public land in eastern Ohio. Access is going to be a pain regardless and I'm probably going to have to wear waders one way or another.

For the area in the north, that's a big cattail marsh as far as I can tell from arial photos. I'd have to park down the road that's along the northern edge and come in from the west. As an aside that road doesn't run the whole way across and connect like it shows. It stops to the west of the pin. I really have no clue where to set up in a marshland, but there's that finger of hardwoods that juts out into it on the eastern edge that runs through the word "placemark". So I was considering off of there.

Same deal with the south easterly pin. There is no road running N/S there, or that little piece that juts to the east. Using Google Earth, I'll have a over a mile walk to come in from the last parking area to the east to get there and have a big stream crossing just west of the 236 marker. This spot looks like a decent funnel between a beaver swamp to the east and one of the rivers in the area. They're slow moving but deep in my experience. So I thought it looked good?

What do you think of those spots? Am I overlooking anything?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Need some advice from marshy \ public land warriors!

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:49 am

Bump

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:42 am

I'd float that creek and set up on a transition. If it's windy, rainy or if there is snow on the ground- I love to walk deer trails and jump shoot/track with a gun in my hands. This will also provide you with some great scouting for bow season

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:16 pm

If you are talking rifle season I would be setup just about anywhere close to or inside of the marsh and just let other hunters push the deer to you, get in nice and early and hopefully a nice one heads you way. Might be worth looking at the big picture around that area, those bucks will hop or swim a river like nothing so setting up between the marsh and the pressure is key.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Ha. I cyber scouted that area and came up with the same conclusion. Where the heck would I go? Lol

I came up with furthest area from any access that I would have to cross water to reach. That narrows down quite a bit of land.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”