Need help picking out a new public area

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ZeppelinExperience

Need help picking out a new public area

Unread postby ZeppelinExperience » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:39 am

Fellow Bowhunters,

What do you more experienced bowhunters do/keep in mind when picking out a new public area to hunt?

There are tons of areas to go to within comfortable driving distance. I have tags to fill and I ain't eatin' tag soup all winter. Venison chili sounds much more appetizing.

So I want to scout/explore a new area(s), and definitely get in a hunt, two if possible.

Couple questions...
1) As mentioned above, what do you look for on the map....google earth is my main source. I have the public areas layered on top...

2) This may be another thread, but getting in deep and finding the bedding areas seems like something I have to do... How do I find bedding areas aside from walking through the woods or wherever and kicking up deer?

3) They will be new areas.. I found out this past weekend that I have a hard time going in somewhere before sunrise without prior scouting, and trying to find a tree to climb... not very efficient with my efforts and time being totally clueless with layout etc.. On my way outta there I found the main trails from the parking lot made by other hunters... made the trip back to the truck way easy but going out was loud and tough... stupid move on my part.

point is, new areas..so show up about sunrise so I can at least see? scout/walk/take notes etc.. Do I bring my stand on my back with me and put on the miles? ouch! Or do I grab my bow and go slow and take notes and etc? or do I haul but and go as quick as possible to cover as much ground as possible?

In addition, do I scout an area in morning, sit for evening? repeat for Sunday? I know it's all circumstantial, and dependent on scat, tracks, other sign, number of deer bumped, etc...?

If I don't bump or see any deer, find another area? Or make sure I go as far as I can and totally blow the entire public area out before moving on?

Lots of questions here, sorry but tough to keep it simple.... Trying to be smart about where I am allocating my efforts..

Thanks in advance guys, eager to hear what you have to say.

brkissl82
500 Club

Re: Need help picking out a new public area

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:45 am

This is my biggest downfall. Stealthy i am not

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:24 am

Here is a step by step roadmap for your time, now till woods turn green in spring.

1. Buy Dans videos
2. Watch all at least 5 times
3. Go spend all your spare time in the woods.
4. Watch videos again.
5. Go back to the woods again.

Unless you have the videos your still flying blind in the woods. They could be a Christmas gift or something.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:37 am

What part of the country are you in? Are you just looking to score on any old deer or are you after a mature buck? What kind of terrain are these public lands? That will help us narrow things down and give you the best advice.
ZeppelinExperience

Unread postby ZeppelinExperience » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:32 am

Ok..

I'm in the northern midwest where there are lots of farmland surrounding public areas, most with some sort of marshy cattail part but woodlands as well. There are some areas with ravines and more hilly-tough country but haven't really gotten into them yet... nor scouted or walked or will worry about for this year...

I'd love to be able to get on a more mature-ish buck - at least 3.5 yrs old. But I do have an antlerless tag as well - so I definitely want a trophy doe to fill that up with. It's only my second year but I'm done with yearlings. I have already sat over small deer this year, it has been cute. Saw 2 small spikes sparring a few weeks ago, that was cool. Had a MOD mama doe enter the woods below me with her 2 fawns, but this is Bowhunting 101 type stuff.... rookie tactics and I'm over it.

**The vids will probably help as they may have helped some others. No good for this season though and I do have time to make things happen. I'll be out every weekend. I'll look into the dvds for next year..**
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:12 am

Waiting till later is not in your best interest. Give up a little bit now and be miles ahead.
It might sound rough but I did it a few seasons back. It was mid season and I basically started over as a bowhunter.

For where to pick, you can find ground that is similar to what you have hunted before. Or just pick a terrain that interests you. But then what? How to hunt it? What areas are wasted time? Where to focus?
I know but do you.

An all time great tactical thread is a link to so much good info. Start with that too.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:18 am

Ok that helps, focus on the larger chunks of public land with large swamp or marshes. I like to find places with at least 300-600 acres of nastyness mixed in with the high ground. This usually give bucks plenty of room to hide and get a few years on them. However don't overlook smaller chunks of public with a smaller wet areas that hold bedding, there might be just a handful of overlooked spots that other hunters won't go into that can hold deer. After that focus on islands, points and this time of year with snow on the way they might bed in the pines or cedars to get out of any winter storms.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:17 am

agree w/ justdirty and headgear, I'm in the same boat as you...spend the time befor greenup and be prepared to go where others wont. depending on what you are aiming for, the pressure will push 'em deep, and the big ones live there already. Another huge thing is to stay confident as possible. Doubt can kill my hunts. I'll start to question my tactics and not concentrate on why I'm there in the first place.Learn by mistakes and dont give up
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”