Cattail marsh buck bedding near satellite bedding

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Cattail marsh buck bedding near satellite bedding

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:45 pm

Hello all, I could use some beast advice. I inadvertently found a good buck bed the other day in a cattail swamp. The only tree that is close enough to set up in is likely either in satellite bedding or doe bedding, something is for sure bedding in there. My issue is how do you hunt this buck bed if the tree you want to set up in will likely bump deer past the buck bed? If I back off even further from the bed/ satellite bedding I most likely won't see anything in daylight. He's got a good spot! Anyone else come across this problem? Is it ok to bump deer to get to your tree or will this tip him off?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Lockdown

Re: Cattail marsh buck bedding near satellite bedding

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:23 pm

If you can bump them in a safe direction without the buck knowing then you should be fine. If they go running past him, he'll likely follow suit. I do remember Dan saying that isn't always the case though...

Can u sneak in for a morning hunt and beat them there?

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:19 pm

I could maybe try a morning hunt and get in there insanely early and hope that he comes back late. One thing that sucks is the access to the tree I prepped is on the deer trail so he might scent me on his way back into the bed. There is another trail going into the bed but I haven't scouted the area enough to know how to access it.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:40 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:I could maybe try a morning hunt and get in there insanely early and hope that he comes back late. One thing that sucks is the access to the tree I prepped is on the deer trail so he might scent me on his way back into the bed. There is another trail going into the bed but I haven't scouted the area enough to know how to access it.

Seems like the best beds are always hard to hunt... And that's exactly the reason those beds are there. If you aren't confident you can get in undetected in the morning then I would try evening hunts and just see how it goes.

Give it a couple hunts. If you end up bumping deer and ruining your hunt then it's back to the drawing board. Keep in mind not all beds are huntable. Some bedding areas take years to figure out... Solid game plans for us are not always cut and dried.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:52 pm

I say bump em and see what happens, they might not be using the bed that day or the might run in another direction. Just have to do what you have to do to get in that tree.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:41 am

If the forecast holds true I should have a decent wind to try it tonight. I think I'm gonna dive in and see what happens. Especially since gun season opens Saturday. Thanks for the advice!

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:52 am

If u do bump some don't let it get you down. stay focused and keep sneaking. I bumped multiple deer this year in thick areas that moved a short distance and stopped because they didn't know what I was.

Good luck!! Post in this thread after the hunt or pm me I'm interested in hearing how it shakes out.

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:07 am

Well I made it back here, I really took my time trying to go quiet and I didn't hear anything run off. My stand situation is not the greatest, facing the sun and will have to rotate to shoot. But it's the only tree I think I can set up in, I'm also only 2 sticks up. If I come back to this spot later in the year I may just sit on the ground. We'll see if anything comes out!

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:22 am

You could also plan it for a "bump and dump" and get back in there early the following morning if you do bump them.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Well nothing came out of the swamp near me, but I did hear one slip past me right at last light. There must be another trail going around where I was set up. I think the deer had me figured out since I left all my scent in there earlier this week. I put a camera up about 12 ft that I think I'm going to let sit for about 4 weeks so it will be interesting to see what passes through during gun season. I'll give it another sit in about a month I think.

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:27 am

The cam. is a great idea, let it sit, maybe even off season. The coolest thing for me is to sit back and watch what is going on here...I dont know your experience, but, your trying different stuff and figuring it out...learning and growing is a blast, great job and good luck! :clap:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:29 am

It will be fun to see what shows up, if anything. It is so hard to not bust in there and check that camera though lol!

Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:32 am

I've seen a video of Dan on a step ladder. Maybe he talks about it in his book too. The biggest issue with sitting on the ground in the marsh will be really limited visibility. But shooting a buck at 3 yards on the ground is a rush.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:52 am

Wetfoot wrote:I've seen a video of Dan on a step ladder. Maybe he talks about it in his book too. The biggest issue with sitting on the ground in the marsh will be really limited visibility. But shooting a buck at 3 yards on the ground is a rush.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEMHGZE3mtY[/bbvideo]
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:01 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Hello all, I could use some beast advice. I inadvertently found a good buck bed the other day in a cattail swamp. The only tree that is close enough to set up in is likely either in satellite bedding or doe bedding, something is for sure bedding in there. My issue is how do you hunt this buck bed if the tree you want to set up in will likely bump deer past the buck bed? If I back off even further from the bed/ satellite bedding I most likely won't see anything in daylight. He's got a good spot! Anyone else come across this problem? Is it ok to bump deer to get to your tree or will this tip him off?

I would either hunt it in the morning, or just hunt it in the evening and see what happens. If you fail, you likely push him to one of the other bedding areas where success is more likely. When hunting a certain buck in a certain marsh, I throw stands at all his bedding despite the odds so that I keep shortening the list of spots where he can bed till I either shoot him or run out of time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”