Public land Nebraska

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MR6FMJ

Public land Nebraska

Unread postby MR6FMJ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:15 pm

I'm tossing around ideas and trying to make sure I'm not second guessing myself about Nebraska!

I've hunted Nebraska public several years ago after tagging out in Kansas and honestly we bought doe tags just to scout more than anything. The public land looked good and we jumped a few nice bucks, well then EHD/Blue tongue hit that area hard from what I've heard. I gave up the area we were hunting in Kansas from pressure and seeing all the dead deer the last year I hunted there in cattle ponds/creeks.

So anyways I wanted to re-visit some areas in SE Nebraska but, I'm a bit nervous and I've been looking at North Central Nebraska near Ainsworth and Valentine.

Anyone have any suggestions? I really do like the small stuff with Crp and creek bottoms but, there is a lot of terrain further North...

Any feedback is appreciated!!

MR6FMJ

Re: Public land Nebraska

Unread postby MR6FMJ » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:20 am

A little update, the trip was a blast and a success. The weather was great, chilly mornings and warm mid-day and the evenings cooled down fast. We located 6 trees for next year, found the best cover was all on public. We each killed a buck, buddy on day 4 and mine on day 7. Trees were tough and crooked like expected, much like Kansas. My treesaddle will be used more next year out there, I also need to lose about 15lbs for the next trip! Nebraska natives were very friendly and met some nice people out there, can't wait for next year!
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:25 am

Good to hear I'm actually thinking about doing a public hunt there next season. I'm between Nebraska and Wisconsin and maybe both. Sounds like it was worth the time, money and effort?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
MR6FMJ

Unread postby MR6FMJ » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:37 am

cedarsavage wrote:Good to hear I'm actually thinking about doing a public hunt there next season. I'm between Nebraska and Wisconsin and maybe both. Sounds like it was worth the time, money and effort?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

We planned on a 10 day hunt if needed, and we are not picky to be honest on what we kill as far as inches go. We are both extremely happy with our bucks, no giants by no means. Lots of effort pending where you go just like anywhere!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”