One week to hunt....now what?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: One week to hunt....now what?

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:41 am

I don't really care where 1 buck beds. I don't hunt like that. I'm more concerned with bedding areas, not 1 particular bed. And the doe bedding is more important than one buck bed.

I agree that this approach is going to work a lot better during the time frame that your hunting (rut)... I generally do the same unless I can locate an older buck thats not participating in the daylight cruising activities.
When I think back to rut success, I have taken some nice bucks on a regular basis hunting as you describe, but my very best and truly mature bucks have come from near beds during the last hour or two of daylight.

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:30 am

I have hunted deer AL, TX, KS, IA, MN, WY, WI, IL and MT. The best overall approach I have found is to cover ground till you find the deer. It sounds simple, but many guys that complain about there crappy out of state hunt are the same ones who refuse to do the legwork. It is really simple....if the area is sucky-MOVE! I hunt rut in the same fashion as Spysar for the most part. I hunt early season similar to Dan. Then there are times I kinda blend the techniques.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:14 am

Dor wrote:I have hunted deer AL, TX, KS, IA, MN, WY, WI, IL and MT. The best overall approach I have found is to cover ground till you find the deer. It sounds simple, but many guys that complain about there crappy out of state hunt are the same ones who refuse to do the legwork. It is really simple....if the area is sucky-MOVE! I hunt rut in the same fashion as Spysar for the most part. I hunt early season similar to Dan. Then there are times I kinda blend the techniques.

All good stuff

I agree with you Dor... I'm always surprised as I talk to other out of state hunters, they seem to hunt based on past success, you hear.....2 years ago, I killed a big buck doing this or that, siting on a particular stand. But I didn't see a deer over there this year and don't think I'll be coming back, no deer around here anymore.
I agree with all of the tactics described, each are successful, at the right time and place. I think that staying flexible and employing different tactics are key to consistant success.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:26 am

Tadmdad wrote:Do you bowhunt up there? or just gun hunt?

I bow and gun hunt in that area, the gun season has been much nicer to me than bow season over the years but I am just starting to unravel where the bucks bed in my area so I am hoping to change that.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:20 pm

I bow and gun hunt in that area, the gun season has been much nicer to me than bow season over the years but I am just starting to unravel where the bucks bed in my area so I am hoping to change that.
[/quote]Headgear I have hunted with my uncle up by Cussin,MN it is a clallenging hunt but very beautiful country.I was suppose to go back this year but burnt up all my vacation bowhunting at home .We sure had a good time up there.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:37 pm

bump
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:26 pm

get in a big buck area, find signs of deer, find big buck overlooked perennial travel corridor, money spot sit all day Nov 5th to when ever you need to leave.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:14 pm

keb wrote:get in a big buck area, find signs of deer, find big buck overlooked perennial travel corridor, money spot sit all day Nov 5th to when ever you need to leave.

Depends on where your hunting... Nov 5th aint always peak rut everywhere.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:03 am

Good bump Keb!

Spy really does impress me w/ his killa instincts. :clap:

What cracks me up is Tad 1st post...
"I'm new" (puppy dogish approach) ;)
who you kidding, anyone of us would give a left eye to hunt with the masta! :pray:

Not to leave out HeadGear either...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Your a funny man Ed, and certainly have a twisted sense of humor......Sunshyn. ;)

As I read back though this very old post, several distinct approaches to hunting bucks stick out. Some good discussion, would like some of the new members add to this with their tactics for the traveling hunter.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:20 pm

Awesome thread. Just to add to it…

I hunt a lot of new ground that is moderate to heavily pressured public land, and too far to drive to scout the way I would like…

Still-hunting has been a great way for me to really learn an area while still having an opportunity to fill a tag.

I like to still-hunt suspected bedding until I nail down how the bucks are really utilizing that terrain and then do an afternoon sit on something that I haven't buggered, that fits the bill… If that makes sense…

If the terrain really isn't conducive for still-hunting for whatever reason, I will use midday to carefully scout and get setup over suspected bedding for the evening/following morning hunts, then dive into the bedding after the morning hunt, then repeat… if that makes sense…

Both tactics are somewhat aggressive but have a good mix of learning the area and providing you with, I would say, a better chance at a good buck than being 'conservative'...

Rut is pretty straight forward. Funnels and doe bedding, get away from other hunters, etc...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”