Passing down to the next generation...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

Passing down to the next generation...

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:22 am

I wanted to share a conversation my dad and I had last evening when we were dragging out my buck. The topic of hunting areas and passing them down to generations, as well as respect for a hunters area/or his kin coming up.

For the last few years, several guys in our hunting party have squabbled, fought, argued and down right back stabbed over areas: just to try to kill deer, a mature buck they heard of shared, or just a deer in general to be successful. It's something I feel too many of us have seen or shared in all too well.

When I was a much younger man, I would often allow myself to get into such squabbles and became unhappy with how situations played out. I would see a big buck, later that week when no one thought i could make it out, there car would be in the parking lot and they would be back in that area. I would move, they would follow. My dad had his spots, was successful, next thing you know the walls would close in around him. Others had there locations only to have others move in or even drive them out. There wasn't the choice of allowing an area to not be pressured, if you didn't hunt it, someone else would. Regardless of wind, or respect for your hunting area. I know it's public land and we all have the right to hunt wherever. But sometimes there's a line of knowing a guy hunts and area, he's after a deer and maybe not because you have to, but out of respect you let him do his thing. How would we ever be able to pass down the woods we hunt to our children, and them pass it down. Preservation of our hunting lineage and respect for those you allow access to such areas. It always starts out with "man id never do that to you" to watching as each year goes by your lands you've hunted since you where a kid, become over run, not by those you don't know but by those you've opened it up to. The coined term it's state land anyone can hunt, always gets said. Well then how come you keep hunting locations someone else found, your heard about, or are hunting because you seen or heard success in the area? :think: As i've grown I've come to realize to keep my mouth shut, and to also hunt places I KNOW, they won't go, or if they do find it, I move on. It just urked me to hear my dad tell this story of how a place he found, became over ridden and hunted day in day out, wrong wind or not until the very buck he was after moved out. He only got to hunt it once. Guys where shooting whatever that moved there. And watched as my dad suffered quietly because of the lack of respect even within those closest to him. And all he was trying to do was share in the wealth, but expected a line of respect to be followed. Instead it was crossed, and crossed again. It's why many of us are reclusive and to ourselves. It's why I struggle to allow myself to open up to new hunters, to people I've known for years. I don't want to lose friends, I don't want to lose my area. Why does there even have to be a choice? With success and learning also comes a lot of strife from those around you. It's not always what you'd think. Oh the first big buck their happy for you. Maybe even the second, by 3, 4, 5, 6..:it almost becomes envy and hatred. Jealousy sets in, motives come out, and you watch as good people will tear at one another. It's sad really. It's why I find refuge here at the BEAST. Because of this site, I know I can go to any section of woods/tails/marsh/ground and have success. Not because I'm great, because the knowledge here is. I want to pass that down to my kids, and them down as well. Hopefully this makes sense and isn't just a nasty rant on my end.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dewey

Re: Passing down to the next generation...

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:54 am

Man does this sound familiar. I know exactly what you are saying and have dealt with the same thing myself. I'm all for helping out others and do quite often but also demand respect for areas I hunt. In the past I gave out too much information to "friends" and later found out they were sneaking in and hunting my spots while I was at work. It's sad deer can come between people but also shows who your real friends are. I now shy away from the negative side and gravitate towards positive people who actually get it that deer hunting is supposed to be fun and not a contest.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:04 am

Not a nasty rant - just tired of the abuse...

I was taught to respect other people. It isn't all that hard to do. Lot's of folks will push as far as they can and then step over the line. Greed, jealousy, whatever.

If you look at my last couple journal posts you can read about how I just got trampled by the lease holder & his closest buddies. Mind you, I paid specifically to have two 45-acre parcels of land to myself, with no intrusions, etc. Couple trees fall due to hurricane matthew and suddenly he's gotta come in and till up everything (2 days notice) - included my food plots that were planted in August and holding deer. They also managed to scout & wander the entire property while cutting up trees and tilling/discing. (They will also burn the place in about a month.) This all happens the weekend before I'm supposed to bring my kid hunting.

The whole concept of respect is lost these days - you can't even buy it. They wouldn't give me a week for my kid. 1 week. Frustrating.

That's my latest story, it is the last in a long string of getting jerked around. FL public land has been slightly better to me - at least all they do is threaten to beat me up and leave me for dead.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am

I see where your coming from. Hunting spots are near and dear to people. Ive really just started getting into the public game. I have no attachment to public land and don't know anyone except for one member on this site that hunts the same public has me. All my family and friends always hunted private. I had a complete stranger on public this year come up to me and show me a trailcam pic of a huge buck taken right in the area I hunt. I was thinking really do I believe this guy I wouldn't tell him what I knew. Lol. Not sure what that guy was getting at.

OTCHunter

Unread postby OTCHunter » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:08 am

I understand where your coming from assasin. I've only been doing the public thing for a couple years, but on my family's private land my uncle and cousin have been a pain in my side at times. I do a lot of scouting and have a few preset stands every year but move them around based on what I'm finding. Anytime I wasn't there they'd manage to find these spots and sit them and burn em out regardless of wind etc. They hang the same couple stands same spots year after year, and would be somewhat jealous whenever I managed to take a nice deer, but if they managed to get one I'd be happy for them and congratulate them. One year I shot a nice buck where no one really though to hunt and the next couple seasons they started hunting that spot day after day no matter what the conditions. They've gotten better the last few years but I know how people can make things a competition and suck the joy and fun out of it. I'm a little more tight lipped now when it comes to sightings unless I can trust the person to give me the same respect I would give them if they found a good spot. Now I usually just hang and hunt or have sticks set up and carry in my lone wolf, or vise versa and carry my sticks in to get in a stand.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:24 am

I don't even tell some close friends about every buck I shoot.. I feel bad sometimes...

I do share spots with friends. I get to hunt a lot more than most of them, so I can always find more spots…

Whatever, they are just deer and it is all God's land at the end of the day.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:49 am

I understand what you're trying to say. If I find a good spot or area and some random stranger finds it so be it. But there is a reason I don't tell friends, family or acquaintances about where I'm scouting and hunting. The way I see it, I put in a lot of time scouting, studying maps, making up game plans to go to certain areas, why would I put in so much effort then tell somebody who hardly ever scouts or does any homework and let them reap the benefits by telling them all my info.

A friend of mine is new to hunting and I took him with me a couple times last year and tried to set him up on some deer. After our morning hunts we would scout and I would show him some things to look for. We had a conversation and I explained to him how much more beneficial it would be for him to go along scouting than for me to just take him to one of my pre scouted spots and just set him up on a deer. Now this year he's been out hunting on his own quite a bit and has been finding his own deer. I didn't want him to just rely on me to tell him where to hunt and he's much better off for it.

A guy at work comes to me atleast once a week with pictures on his phone of bucks his buddies killed or have on camera. What a friend. (Sarcastic). He'll even tell you exactly where the picture was taken. I'll never tell that guy anything. When he asks me what I've been seeing the answers always the same "nothin". If he sees a picture of a buck I killed and asks where, "in the woods".

Big difference between helping someone out and giving them your hard earned Intel.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:04 am

I can't even tell my family that I am seeing deer. Its pathetic what people do to shoot a deer. Especially to their own family members
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:24 am

It's like fishing, guys see a bunch of boats and pull up and the next thing you know there are people everywhere because 1 or 2 boats caught a few fish. People like to find a shortcut to everything, personally I feel bad for them. What fun it is to follow someone in the woods and take their spot? I want to hunt (and fish) where nobody else goes, I want to scout and find my own area, I want to be alone out there. If someone wants my spot that bad they can have it, I will go somewhere else where they can't find me.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:31 am

headgear wrote:It's like fishing, guys see a bunch of boats and pull up and the next thing you know there are people everywhere because 1 or 2 boats caught a few fish. People like to find a shortcut to everything, personally I feel bad for them. What fun it is to follow someone in the woods and take their spot? I want to hunt (and fish) where nobody else goes, I want to scout and find my own area, I want to be alone out there. If someone wants my spot that bad they can have it, I will go somewhere else where they can't find me.

Agree 100%.

In my area public land is pretty limited but there is no shortage of people. If you do happen to find an overlooked area you better strike while you can. Someone else is bound to find it. Not too much stuff that's hard to access.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:18 pm

There are only two (maybe three) other hunters I trust unconditionally with my hunting spots/intel. Kind of sad really.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:58 pm

The only one I trust is my dad. And that is primarily for safety. If he doesn't come up, I will hunt a more traditional spot just so people know where I am in case anything happens. That and I have to hunt the easy spots to keep some people from thinking I have better spots
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”