How does pressure of non deer hunters impact marsh movement

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tuffdaddy

How does pressure of non deer hunters impact marsh movement

Unread postby Tuffdaddy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:51 am

Some of the land I hunt has just awesome marsh cover that is boardered by good tree edges, which the deer (at times) use to access the ag fields on the other side (typically at night from what I can tell).

With that being said, there is a tremendous amount of pressure from phesant hunters (and some deer hunter pressure, but not too bad) on this piece. I've walked the edge of the marsh/tree line, and found rubs, tracks, trails, and beds so I know they are using this. My question would be, with the pressure coming from others in this area, would the deer be more resigned to coming out of the marsh at night, or with the right wind and weather, would it be a spot that I could hunt at the right time? I know there are some huge deer in there, but figuring out how to hunt them with the pressure is driving me nuts.

Lockdown

Re: How does pressure of non deer hunters impact marsh movem

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:35 am

I'm willing to bet they're out in the marsh. You'd be surprised how close they can be to pheasant pressure and still feel safe. My buddy has a bed that is probably 50 yards off the transition. Pheasant hunters can walk by all day and the bucks hang tight. They know nothing can get them, and if danger heads their way it is very obvious. They would head out into the abyss and be safe.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:09 am

Dad and I were duck hunting - saw a doe and fawn work their way out into the marsh and bed down in the sawgrass. We had some ducks come through and I ended up running down a duck and shooting right next to the bedded deer. Figured they were spooked off. Couple hours later, they get up, stretch and start browsing away. Never paid us any mind.

If the hunters aren't pressuring the deer and the deer are used to the excitement, they shouldn't be too far.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:27 am

In marshes that have pheasant and duck hunting it can get awesome when the good bucks are samwitched in between... Just hunt the areas where the pheasant hunters don't go... It don't have TO BE TOO FAR FROM THEM EITHER, AS MENTIONED.
Tuffdaddy

Unread postby Tuffdaddy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:22 am

Good to hear. I've wanted to hunt the edge, and was hesitant to do it, especially climbing into a tree when they are shooting :shock: lol. But I know there is all kinds of good sign, a huge marsh adjacent to it, and not too many of the phesant hunters walk the edge of the marsh and tree line. Most stay in the fields. They also tend to leave a bit earlier, so the last hour or two of light it tends to quiet down. I'll have to tuck way back in there when I get the right wind and see what happens.

I did grunt one in last year from the edge by the marsh during the rut, but he busted me and took off (rookie mistake), but it helped me gain confidence they are there. I know the spot I need to hang a stand, just need to figure out when to do it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”