Ohio Publc Archery

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

Ohio Publc Archery

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:17 am

Last season was my first trip down to Ohio, and I really had a good time. This year I'm headed back but more frequently and for the opener. I'm not asking for any spots, I already have some parcels picked out, but I am looking to get some of the guys who have hunted Ohio enough to be able to give an account of what to expect for the opening weekend? Crops? Bottoms? Water? Hills? Acorns? I have a game plan, but I'd also like to hear some feedback, to either back up what I'm thinking or maybe even help me out. Thanks to all that contribute.

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Re: Ohio Publc Archery

Unread postby csoult » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:44 am

Last year my friend and I were there for the weekend after the opener Southern Ohio. Setup between bedding and food on a hay field they were crossing to get to corn. It was cooler than it will be this year and started raining half way through the hunt. My friend shot a buck coming to a scrape amazingly enough. It was shot at last light.

If I remember correctly the beans had already turned yellow so they weren't much of a factor but there was definitely sign around the corn.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:07 am

Driving through the eastern part of Ohio towards Kentucky two weeks ago the beans were still pretty green. A week later on my way back through they all pretty much had a good yellow tint throughout most of the fields.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:00 am

Acorn crop looks awesome this year in the areas I have been in SE Ohio.

Movement has been very limited in the past several years for me early on. First hour of light and last couple hours. The days have been very hot this year.

I typically only hunt hill regions, so finding food for me consist of acorns mainly. Water for opener would be a plan for sure. NOT much rain over the past several weeks, and the morning dews have not been so much either. LOTS of the browse is drying out fast.

With the warm weather, I will be focusing on acorns close to beds, and water sources.

Hope that helps some.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:06 am

backstraps wrote:Acorn crop looks awesome this year in the areas I have been in SE Ohio.

Movement has been very limited in the past several years for me early on. First hour of light and last couple hours. The days have been very hot this year.

I typically only hunt hill regions, so finding food for me consist of acorns mainly. Water for opener would be a plan for sure. NOT much rain over the past several weeks, and the morning dews have not been so much either. LOTS of the browse is drying out fast.

With the warm weather, I will be focusing on acorns close to beds, and water sources.

Hope that helps some.

I'll be hoping to find some acorns. The crop fields I have located to hunt around have a nice creek/small river and some nice thickets around, but that's bottoms. The hill country is very close as well, and I may go investigate for acorns and sign after first morning hunt. Learning the lay of the land and food sources I still need to locate. I just don't want to be focused on the bottoms, if they aren't there.

I've heard several people suggest they are still bedded close to food, but as well all know, food sources go hot one minute and cold the next. All part of the learning curve.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:16 am

I was down 2 weeks ago prepping sets for the rut. White oaks are dropping and most of the concentrated sign was around oaks and the bean fields bordering the property. Thsee particular fields were 100% green 2 weeks ago, but on the way down, we saw every shade of bean from lush green to dried and brown. Saw a doe bedded in the middle of a bean field mid day for whatever that's worth.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:26 am

seazofcheeze wrote:I was down 2 weeks ago prepping sets for the rut. White oaks are dropping and most of the concentrated sign was around oaks and the bean fields bordering the property. Thsee particular fields were 100% green 2 weeks ago, but on the way down, we saw every shade of bean from lush green to dried and brown. Saw a doe bedded in the middle of a bean field mid day for whatever that's worth.

Every detail helps, thank you

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:59 pm

Talking to my buddy in Ohio a few weeks ago he mentioned they have been in another drought this year.......sitting near a water source should be a good bet.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Ack wrote:Talking to my buddy in Ohio a few weeks ago he mentioned they have been in another drought this year.......sitting near a water source should be a good bet.

Thanks Brian!

Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:04 am

Your probably in a completely different area WTA but 2 buddies of mine went down a few days early for the opener..River bottom close to bedding..They have seen a couple real nice bucks while spot checking the areas the last couple days. We had spring scouted these areas the previous 2 years..Public land...I wont be heading down until the last week of rocktober.Good luck! as if you need it..Oh this is S SE Ohio..

Chad

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:07 am

Lastcast#1 wrote:Your probably in a completely different area WTA but 2 buddies of mine went down a few days early for the opener..River bottom close to bedding..They have seen a couple real nice bucks while spot checking the areas the last couple days. We had spring scouted these areas the previous 2 years..Public land...I wont be heading down until the last week of rocktober.Good luck! as if you need it..Oh this is S SE Ohio..

Chad

I can use all the luck your willing to through my way. And I appreciate the info. I have a small creek/river close to food and lots of thick bedding. I'm also going check for some hot sign around acorns. Water, food, learning :lol:

warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Unread postby warhog23 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:16 am

Ya when i head to my spot for an after noon sit im going to scout on my way in for acorns and if i dont see what i like im headed to the water on the way anyways

Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:36 am

Go get em! Last year was my first year bowhunting which included hunting Ohio the end of October and Late season..Spring scouted early 2015. Had an encounter with a nice 10 the very first night. My tree was a 6 stick set up and I only brought 5 that morning...Yeah...No shot..Still re living that one. Good luck...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”