Atvs

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigwoodshuntn

Atvs

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:17 am

Are Atvs legal on the public land you hunt? I know it is not common but one county I hunt in Wisconsin Atvs are legal on the county land unless otherwise marked. So basically all the old logging roads and trails are legal. The biggest benefit to that is getting deer out of the woods and venturing off a trail gets you away from 95% of the other hunters. I was just wondering if this is legal anywhere else?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Atvs

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:41 am

ATV's are legal on some public land in LA & MS, but thankfully restricted to certain designated trails.
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:45 am

Designated trails are legal, but they are not very common.
-Rick
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:51 am

Not legal.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:09 am

Some are legal on trails only, some legal on trails and to retrieve deer, some they are illegal to the point that you can't even have one in the truck or on a trailer.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:12 am

Supposed to be on designated trails only, but that doesn't stop them around here. Lots of atv and side by side traffic on the public land. During season it's usually the guys hauling their bait.....sad.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:00 am

Illegal here except for designated ATV trails which there are very few especially in SE WI. Very thankful for that.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:19 am

I think it is a good thing not letting ATVs on public land. I hunt private and it can be a problem and is at times. Had many a hunt messed up by atvs zipping around.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:09 am

Stanley wrote:I think it is a good thing not letting ATVs on public land. I hunt private and it can be a problem and is at times. Had many a hunt messed up by atvs zipping around.

When I hunted over by Black River Falls can't tell you how many times I hiked way in thinking I was deep in away from people only to have a ATV come zipping by on an unseen trail a short distance away thru the thick stuff. Got pretty frustrating. :doh:

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:13 am

I own one for work on my property but hate them for hunting. It sits in the barn all fall except when I extract a dead deer. Guys around here will ride them in even if it's a quarter mile walk

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:17 am

Dewey wrote:
Stanley wrote:I think it is a good thing not letting ATVs on public land. I hunt private and it can be a problem and is at times. Had many a hunt messed up by atvs zipping around.

When I hunted over by Black River Falls can't tell you how many times I hiked way in thinking I was deep in away from people only to have a ATV come zipping by on an unseen trail a short distance away thru the thick stuff. Got pretty frustrating. :doh:

They are a super great work tool but some people use them for toys and that's where it becomes a problem.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:47 am

Stanley wrote:
Dewey wrote:

They are a super great work tool but some people use them for toys and that's where it becomes a problem.

They registration in NH along with snowmobiles.
They are a large group.

When ATV's got real popular 15-20 years ago it didn't take long for the manufacturers to lobby the state as the snowmobiles did decade before.
Now some trails are shared access year round...

We as hunters also pay registration (license) - try telling people that pay for any of those registrations one can do it while the other can't.
Yamaha, Polaris, Bombardier, etc. have deep pockets - they want to sell product...

Kind of a catch 22...

I did kill a basket 8-point while he was trying to cross an ATV trail.
He stopped and I watched his head go back and forth like a typewriter until all three ATV's passed.
(For you youngsters out there - a typewriter is the new keyboard) ;)
His very next step was a 240gr hollow point from my 44Mag pistola :mrgreen:
He went two feet --> str8 down!!!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:00 am

I love my atv and use it for work and play.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:40 am

I do not like them at all on public land. I understand deer retrieval. But, People get hunting and mud riding with a loaded rifle confused in my area. The public land that does allow atvs on trails has 3 times the amount of beer cans and trash on trails and they usually have deep pits where guys with wheels have dug them out well beyond normal ruts. Lack of respect for public land gives the few that do care and operate atvs accordingly a bad reputation.

I broke both femurs in 2012. I have rods in both femurs and still prefer to walk and drag deer out of public land. i enjoy that kind of work tho.
I completely understand using whatever means necessary to retrieve a deer. Sadly, allowing atv access has ruined some nice public land hunting areas.

Atvs are very loud, louder than pickup trucks also. My buddy hunts on a 100 acre lease with 2 other guys and kills a decent bucks every year. They always would ride 4 wheelers to their stands. (It's an insanely short walk for us) He bought an electric golf cart and upgraded a few things on it, and it is very strong, torquey, and smooth. The 3 guys had only been using the electric golf cart and quit using the 4 wheelers during hunting season. Since they swapped and are much quieter he has been seeing and killing more and better deer the last 2 seasons.

Add in a trailer, overhead, maintenance on all of it and storage space and owning one is not feasible for me.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:57 am

They are everywhere I hunt, you just get use to them. Best thing you can do is use them like any other pressure, they tell me where other hunter are and often where their stands are, one driving around is almost no threat to a deer and they are use to it so don't let that worry you. My only complaint is during dry years they get a little more adventurous and drive further back on the swamp logging roads. When things are wet I have the land to myself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”