Hunter pressure

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigwoodshuntn

Hunter pressure

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:43 am

So we often hear about hunting pressure, to me this is very subjective. So my question is.. Let's say your pulling into your hunting spot or parking lot and there is other vehicles there. How many is a lot to YOU. I know for me in some of my spots up north it's odd to see more than one truck parked at any one spot during bow season. Other places around home 2-4 trucks at the parking lot isn't uncommon. So for your hunting areas how many is a lot or to many.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Hunter pressure

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:52 am

I don't like seeing any vehicles. I like to get there early before other bow hunters. I've came out and have saw a couple trucks and never saw the guys in the woods.I'd be interested to hear what other guys say also.

woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:32 am

When I was relegated to hunting public land, I liked to get to the area early and be the first car in the lot. Then I would get to my stand quietly and allow the others who came later to move the deer to me. Now that I hunt private land, I hope for enough hunters to be hunting the surrounding properties to move the deer that frequent all the properties. When I hunted public land, on occasion I have pulled into a parking lot and left and went elsewhere because of what I considered too many hunters on the land.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:16 am

I don't worry with trying to be the first one in on public land. It's counterproductive to my sanity. If someone wants to hunt a certain spot on public land they won't care who got their first. Going through all the trouble to stealthily walk in and set up early and smooth just to have your fellow man trompsin past 30 minutes later is maddening. I let the early bird get the worm most times. If they are interested in hunting the same spot as myself kudos to them, and I shoulda done a bit more homework to know another guy hunts there.

If I wanna hunt somewhere close to a parking area within a 1/4 mile, I usually wait till later in the morning to see if anyone else gets there first, If another vehicle is there, I move to plan b. I usually have a plan c as well. Last season I took a chance and went in and set up after seeing another vehicle and it all worked out fine. We were nowhere near each other, and it was late season in an archery only area. Also, I felt almost certain that he wasn't going where I was headed.

If I'm going farther back (3/4 mile plus) and need some extra walking time to get all the way back then I usually head out earlier with my headlamp on, and hope for the best that someone doesn't join me.

I will also admit, my moods are different at times, if I get my mind set on getting to an area and end up having to walk through someone else's setup to do it, sorry about their luck. I've done it before and dragged a buck past them on my way out. I still feel a bit bad about it but they weren't in the right spot and wouldn't have made a kill either way. Most of the time I try to be very contentious of others, and if I'm not certain a nice buck is there, I usually just move on.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:28 am

I don't park in a "lot" very much to begin with. I purposely look for spots away from any designated parking areas. I'll park on the side of the road/ around the corner from my spots so people don't know exactly where I am. Preferably my bro-in-law will drop me off if we're hunting together. But if I do park at a "lot", 2 vehicles will send me packing to a different stand location.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:28 am

Opening morning as many as 12 trucks, next weeks following maybe 1 or 2. Then a major spike again around gun openers & rut.

Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Last year Halloween night I was the first truck in, saw nine deer one good buck. I was pinned in my stand and got busted leaving. next night went to the same spot and there were already 2 trucks there so I pulled the pin and went to a parking spot 1 mile away where there weren't any trucks and shot a 130" ten point. A lot of times I'll make a loop and survey the human pressure before I park and go in on afternoons. One time I saw 5 deer shoot across a section so I parked and still hunted my way towards them. I got to full draw at 15 yards on the ground but got busted by other eyes I didn't know were watching and they all blew out of there, I think they only went 30 yards or so into the swamp then stood there waiting to see if I pursued, can't imagine they'd go back the way they came. deer will react to pressure immediately & might pile into a spot that's been a dessert just because that's where the pressure pushed them. so when you're reading sign and you think wow that's odd it could have just been pressure putting those deer there for 24 hours until they got booted again. pressure is one of the biggest things I consider when reading sign.

Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:11 pm

There are some cool studies online of radio collared deer. One followed a buck for three years and during rifle season his favored bed switched to a ridge upwind of his normal core area....

He could smell everything coming from behind and he could see into his familiar range. So if he got booted he could run into his bedroom where he could then find a way to put the odds back in his favor.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:17 pm

Most hunters here do not hunt the same locations I do. If anything they help me narrow down a possible buck location by X'ing out another hunters area from my map of possiblities.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:54 pm

I don't worry about it too much if there are a bunch of vehicles, sometimes I go elsewhere but even when I don't I rarely get buggered by other hunters. Now if all the vehicles have "Hunting Beast" bumper stickers I will be ticked off :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Size of the property would need to be involved in the calculation. 6 cars on 10 acres is different than 6 cars on 4000 acres... But, really, it generally don't concern me. If I show up to hunt the number of cars is irrelevant because I am there for a certain buck or spot I have prescouted. Now, if there hunting in my intended spot that's different, but 2 people or 50 people don't matter to me... Just matters that there is a target animal.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:45 pm

cbigbear wrote:Opening morning as many as 12 trucks, next weeks following maybe 1 or 2. Then a major spike again around gun openers & rut.

Common here too

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:39 am

Depends on the area I am hunting that day, some have tons of pressure - 6-12 trucks and sometimes groups of guys camping to bow hunt but its about 3000 acres so plenty of room to get away. Other spots there might be a couple of trucks, some others none.
October's Assassin

Unread postby October's Assassin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:04 am

In bow season there are very few vehicles. During muzzle loader and rifle season it looks like wal mart parking lot on Black Friday

Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:13 am

October's Assassin wrote:In bow season there are very few vehicles. During muzzle loader and rifle season it looks like wal mart parking lot on Black Friday

X2

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”