Swamp bedding/island/transition setup question

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Swamp bedding/island/transition setup question

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:23 am

Hi guys. I have a spot that I can only access by boat from the east side of a property. There is an island, it might be under water right now as the river is on the high side. Off of this island, there is some good bedding, then the trails go w and NW to the woods, that have a couple of white oaks in, then the crop fields on private are another 3/8 mile to the NW beyond that. the main woods transition line with is about 400yds to the NW. I have been studying the maps, and from what I remember from scouting, there are a couple of trees within 60-75yds of the bed. I'm just wondering, is it better to be close, or to try and stay closer to some of the oaks? If i'm closer to the oaks, I'm thinking I may pick up on more traffic, but maybe not the right buck. All of this is dictated by water level as well. I won't know until I get back in. I do have some other options once in if this spot is to wet.

I hope that makes sense, don't want to give the spot away.
thanks

Lockdown

Re: Swamp bedding/island/transition setup question

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:32 am

If you are in between the bedding and food, you are in the game. Get as close to bedding as you can without spooking him.

You don't know who else has been in those woods searching for a producing oak. If anyone else has been in there those mature bucks won't come parading to those acorns in daylight. You just have to get close and hope they come part way...

If that island is under water then I would set up on the oaks and hope for the best.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:57 am

I would be as close to bedding as possible...
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:11 am

Got it, west wind predicted for sat which will work for getting into the spot. after watching/ listening to the swamp videos a number of times, I started to rethink my plan, seems like my first hunch from when I first seen this spot was on track. Can't wait to try it. Thanks Dan and Ryan.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”