Kettle Moraine State forest

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Kettle Moraine State forest

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:08 am

I'm just wondering how many here hunt the Kettle Moraine State forest? Just curious how many beasts are roaming the kettles. I hunt the north.
Last edited by tgreeno on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Kettle Moraine State forest

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:18 am

I live near the southern kettle but don't hunt it much cause it gets a lot of pressure.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:37 am

I've hunted both north and south. Lots of people out there. Joggers, bikers, hunters, nature walkers, ect.... Tough place to take any deer, but they are there. Best advice I can give is expect the deer to come off private properties, especially during the gun season when things get really crazy. 3 years ago my buddy and I drove to northern kettle. And he had a family banging pots and pans and bangin cattle bells together to scare the deer. I heard the ca motion but he saw it. He got up to walk away and hey followed him. He text me explaining what was going on. Needless to say We called it early that day. Hunter harassment at its finest.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:42 am

Didn't read that you hunted the north. Have you had any crazy expierences with people out there?

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:50 am

I do not go anywhere near it during gun season! Bowhunting only. It's taken me a few years to figure out where the people aren't! ;)

Last year I'm over a ridge from the road. About 9:30am I hear a gunshot from the road. Then a group of 5 or 6 deer coming running my direction from the road. 2 weeks before gun season.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:17 am

tgreeno wrote:I do not go anywhere near it during gun season! Bowhunting only. It's taken me a few years to figure out where the people aren't! ;)

Last year I'm over a ridge from the road. About 9:30am I hear a gunshot from the road. Then a group of 5 or 6 deer coming running my direction from the road. 2 weeks before gun season.

Oh wow!! It's not a place to be poaching. Beautiful country there though. Yeah I haven't had the best experiences over there, an I'm sure it's taken you awhile to figure things out. One of those situations where you have to figure the people out first and deer second. Your right too about staying out during gun. That's when I mostly made the trip there.

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:25 am

I've hunted the southern part. To have success you have to go where the people won't go.
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:58 am

I hunt the North unit. Lots of yahoos out there but lots of deer also (compared to the big woods). I gun hunt the Kettles on occasion and with all the hunters I am amazed any deer survive. My brother has a lot of crazy stories about gun hunting out there. He heard a group of drivers approaching and then a bunch of gun shots. Driver 1 yells: "what were you shooting at?" Driver 2 replies: " Nothing, I was just shooting".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:23 am

I hunted the northern Kettles for many years since it's fairly close but not as much in the last few years. Pretty hard to get away from people there as the forest is always busy. Good bucks in the tougher to get to areas where there are less people but finding those spots is tough. Every time I thought I was remote I ran into 3 more hunters. I enjoy it over there much more during the late bow season when everyone else quits for the year. By far my favorite time to hunt there.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Jeff G wrote:To have success you have to go where the people won't go.

That is my plan 100% of the time, whatever ground I hunt!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:56 am

Big bucks are there if you look hard enough. Here are some pics with scouting notes I took about 4 years ago deep in a cedar swamp.

This tree was 7' in diameter and the center of the rub was 43"

This tree was part of the same cluster of rubs all within 10 yards of each other.

This tree was slightly larger than the first one at 8 1/2" in diameter and the marks were about chest high at 49".

After looking around a bit I found this bed and thinking this is a primary bed due to the location. This was a very large bed and measured 55"

This bed looked to be a little older but had plenty of hair in it.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:22 am

I've seen some similar type sign. I've hunted it 4 years now.

The key for me is, I'm able to hunt during the whole season. So I rarely hunt there during the weekends.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:20 pm

I have been hunting the northern unit for about t5 yrs now. I shot one buck and passed a few small does. You can try to go where the hunters aren't. Good luck though. Your best bet seems to be early bow when many are fishing, weekdays are better. Mornings have a lot less cars in the lots. Windy rainy days seem better cause it keeps a lot of people out of the woods. Last year I was on the stand for 1/2 hr. Here comes a deer already. Nope, some older dude comes by and stands there for several minutes 30' from me. He is looking all over but never sees me. This stuff happens on nice October , sunny afternoons. I say forget it then. The hunting is very poor in most cases. I have scouted at least 100 mi. and it is not good. Like Dewey's pictures show, there has to be some big bucks there but I dont see them. Very hard to hunt there but it is only 10 mi. from home and still see more deer than in Price co. big woods. I still hunt there cause it is some of the nicest land around . Nice big white pines, big old oak trees, marshes and rivers, creeks. Nice land for sure though.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:27 pm

When I've found water, tough swamp and Catails I've found deer in the kmsf. There are some big deer taken out of these properties every year.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:28 pm

There are definitely some nice deer there. It's taken me a couple years to get a handle on it. I've shot a buck & 3 doe's in 4 years. I've had multiple opportunities at small bucks also over the years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”