Public Land "Maple" Hunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: Public Land "Maple" Hunting

Unread postby jwilkstn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:46 pm

I'll have to pay attention this fall about the leaf drop, but I have seen the power of maple browse when made available. This summer I did some hinge cutting on our farm in some open woods. 90% of what I chose to cut were young maples. I hoped to have alot of thick greenery with all the leaves on when I cut, but I returned s couple weeks later and there wasn't a leaf on any of them or any on the ground. All eaten. I happened to have cut a couple in front of a camera overlooking a salt lick and the pics revealed a bachelor group of 8 young bucks eating them in the first two days after I cut them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Not all those who wander are lost...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:12 am

All over the woods. Mixed with heaviest acon year I have ever seen. Food sources are endless this year.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:31 am

Great pic. Most of my maples are still holding. My acorn crop is light.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Great pic. Most of my maples are still holding. My acorn crop is light.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

The interesting part is? Deer have been pounding apples for 3-4 days straight. And it looks like they have shifted off them again. Week ago, deer walked right past all of the apples to feed on acorns.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:13 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:The interesting part is? Deer have been pounding apples for 3-4 days straight. And it looks like they have shifted off them again. Week ago, deer walked right past all of the apples to feed on acorns.

That sounds like a real good reason to keep a journal. You might pick up on a yearly trend in deer feeding. Maybe, every "ACORN YEAR" they find the existing apples the 2nd week of October? Maybe, every "APPLE YEAR" they find acorns the last week of September? Who knows?

With all the bedding areas you have found, you could possibly relate all that back to bedding and predict when certain bedding spots will be occupied?
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:10 am

Minimal acorn crop, they're hitting leaves hard

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:29 am

The main area I hunt has very little for agriculture. No apple trees. Terrible acorn year . But there are lots of maples around, maybe even too much, lots of leaves already on the ground, so maples and clear cuts are the only food sources I can think of to target. I never knew deer ate maple leaves until I read about it on the Beast.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:12 pm

john1984 wrote:The main area I hunt has very little for agriculture. No apple trees. Terrible acorn year . But there are lots of maples around, maybe even too much, lots of leaves already on the ground, so maples and clear cuts are the only food sources I can think of to target. I never knew deer ate maple leaves until I read about it on the Beast.

Good post- maple leaves are raining down here in midmichigan. I'm seeing young bucks in daylight chowing down early and late in the day on maple leaves.
cougar

Unread postby cougar » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:58 pm

2016 hunted SE mass and southern Maine. ZERO acorns in Mass which totally killed a couple spots i had planned, the deer stayed on agriculture / back yard gardens most of the fall. In Maine, the most acorns I've ever seen and ZERO apples. crazy that this is only 90 minutes away and generally the same weather patterns /temps. Never heard of them eating maple leaves before. HB +1 :clap:
row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”