Public Land in Sotuthern Ohio

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bruto

Public Land in Sotuthern Ohio

Unread postby Bruto » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:08 am

Hello, I am new to the site and wanted to introduce myself. I am from WV and am an avid outdoorsman and bowhunter. I have started hunting in Ohio, and wondered if there are any other hunters that share these woods with me on here. I am interested in the Wayne National Forest sections and wondered if any of you have any experience there. I have had moderate success and know there are good bucks to be had, especially on the fringes of public areas near to private land. There is so much Public land its kind of mind boggling honestly. Being from WV, where you can kill multiple bucks with both a bow and a rifle, I really can appreciate the management that goes on in other states such as ohio where only one buck is allowed per season.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Public Land in Sotuthern Ohio

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:34 am

Welcome! I'm from Michigan and I know of some guys that hunt southern Ohio. From what I hear you have to find the roughest terrain to access. I hunt northwest Ohio farm country and know from research most of ohios big bucks come from the southern hills.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:03 pm

Welcome! I've been trying to get down to Ohio (From MI) for the past 2 seasons, but something always comes up. Good luck!
Bruto

Unread postby Bruto » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:35 am

Thank you for the responses. Yes, Hawthorne, the terrain is rough. Which in a way is a good thing. It makes it unattractive to a lot of hunters lol. I don't mind walking, and usually carry a stand with me that is light enough that I can walk a couple miles back in and set up. I rarely see anyone, and I have found a good bit of sign doing this. Experience so far has led me to believe that a lot of these big bucks are using these properties as travel routes, and don't actually stay there. That means time in the stand is probably what will be necessary, and lots of it.
Bryce33

Unread postby Bryce33 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:50 pm

Hello I've been hunting the Wayne for 5 years and have had the same experience with hunting edges and it had taken time and experience to figure out the terrain and deer. And just when you think you have it figured out other hunters move in on the same area. Will be back down there again looking for those Ohio bruisers soon. Good luck

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Chad_2

Unread postby Chad_2 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Hey Bruto! I'm from NE Ohio but hunt a large portion of public in the southern part of the state. The WNF is a great area, as you said lots of land, and truly holds some great deer. This time of the year it does get pressured with folks trying to time up the vacations with the rut, but no different than most other public pieces. I've never hunted any of it during Nov but have prior to and after as well.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:40 pm

rbuckleyjr1 wrote:Welcome! I've been trying to get down to Ohio (From MI) for the past 2 seasons, but something always comes up. Good luck!

Same here. Maybe this year. I hunted Ohio once and it was some of the best hunting I have ever had.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:12 am

I was hunting southern Ohio last year during the time you first posted this. It was a great time and I'll be back next year! (First baby on the way this October)

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”