River bottoms

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mike_mc
500 Club

River bottoms

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:22 am

This offseason I'm going to scout some public that is along the Wisconsin River. Do you hunt river bottoms different from marsh? Is it normal for high water levels to flood out the beds? The Tuesday after gun season I was scouting and could cross a creek with knee highs. Went back the next Monday and it was to deep for hip waders.
Will the Wisconsin freeze enough to be safe to walk across?

mike_mc
500 Club

Re: River bottoms

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:42 am

And what would be the ideal boat, maybe a canoe with a trolling motor or a jon boat? If I like this piece I'll think about getting one.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:03 am

I don't know the Wisconsin river, but my hunting boat is a small zodiak.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:25 am

Depends on the river, deer are used to motors so I'd get one big enough to move from point A to B faster than a trolling motor crawl. The trolling motor could be for the last 100 yards or so I guess.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 am

My opinion is that most times deer get flooded out they will move back in after the water receedes and things dry out.

Sorry for multiple replies, on phone, things are not as easy to reply.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:52 am

I would be leery of ice on the Wisconsin river. A boat would be best save the canoe for small rivers. Rivers are cold in the fall and wearing hunting clothing can be dangerous if you take a dunk. Lot easier to take equipment and dead deer in and out with a boat. Check out Spy's zodiac.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:00 am

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:04 am

A buddy of mine bought a 14 foot flatbottom for river hunting, which I personally think is too small. It's xtra deep and xtra wide but still I think it's too little boat. Then they threw a 25 hp motor on it, they can go 35 mph according to the gps with 2 people in it. That's cooking for that small of a boat.

Granted, its all about what you get used to I suppose. I will be getting used to the above boat next fall as I will be borrowing it for some river hunting myself. Life jacket, CHECK!

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:24 am

Do you hunt river bottoms different from marsh?

Tough question to answer. The simple answer is to find bedding and hunt close as poss.

Is it normal for high water levels to flood out the beds?

I'm sure it happens especially along the Wis. river. I wouldn't worry about it. Once the water goes down they will be back.

Will the Wisconsin freeze enough to be safe to walk across?

Another tough question! I wouldn't risk my life. I've seen the current eat away 2 ft of ice on the river. Current = danger. Be very careful. Water can drop leaving a hollow under the ice and the ice will break real easy.

And what would be the ideal boat,

I would use a jon boat.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:37 am

Jon boat would work too.

I have one and also a Otter Stealth 2000 with an electric motor. Built a trailer for mine or throw it in the p/u truck bed. It work ok but think Spy's Zodiak is the right choice.

The zodiak is a heck of a lot more portable on long hunts from home. Bought the kind I have because found a good deal. Nice for fishing small ponds/isolated lakes. The thing is darn near impossable to tip but not that light to throw around by yourself.

The Otter.

http://www.explorebeavertail.com/stealth2000.html
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:46 am

where on the WI river are you looking at hunting? I live in Stevens Point and in a few weeks here we will be driving all over the back waters with our trucks. There is one spot in particular where tons of guys go on and off the river and a highway is basically created. I agree with what the above posted to avoid current. I wouldn't get on any major open areas but some of the slower areas on the backwaters freeze pretty good. If its any kind of big water though get a boat...a buddy of mine almost drown last year hunting from a canoe on the last day of duck seasonhe lost everything but the canoe and they recovered his shotgun in spring with a magnet....but thats another story :lol: good luck and be safe!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:08 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:where on the WI river are you looking at hunting? I live in Stevens Point and in a few weeks here we will be driving all over the back waters with our trucks. There is one spot in particular where tons of guys go on and off the river and a highway is basically created. I agree with what the above posted to avoid current. I wouldn't get on any major open areas but some of the slower areas on the backwaters freeze pretty good. If its any kind of big water though get a boat...a buddy of mine almost drown last year hunting from a canoe on the last day of duck seasonhe lost everything but the canoe and they recovered his shotgun in spring with a magnet....but thats another story :lol: good luck and be safe!

I've been across that spot many times. It always freaks me out to cross there.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:07 am

All good posts on the subject. I will add this - Riverbottoms can be very productive during the rut, as they are natural highways that connect many good bedding areas. They also have great funnels along their routes and I often see very productive scrape lines along them. The rising and falling water levels present a challenge and make it all that much more important to know the terrain and find the chunks of higher ground -"islands"- as they will hold deer even when the levels rise.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:19 am

I have been doing some research on the inflatables, I think this is the one spysar has. http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/5928--ru- ... inghy.html

Which is very similar to the zodiac zoom 230. They both are $699. http://inflatableboats.iboats.com/Zodia ... _id.497962

2-4 hp outboards seem to be around $900 from the little looking around I have done on the net.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:43 am

mike_mc wrote:I have been doing some research on the inflatables, I think this is the one spysar has. http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/5928--ru- ... inghy.html

Which is very similar to the zodiac zoom 230. They both are $699. http://inflatableboats.iboats.com/Zodia ... _id.497962

2-4 hp outboards seem to be around $900 from the little looking around I have done on the net.

Both of those boats are way too small. At least for me...The one you have a link to isn't the one I have. Mine is rated for an 8 HP and can hold 1080lbs. I think it's 9'6", and it has a flat wooden(or fiberglass)floor which is in 5 interlocking pieces.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”