.? On 1st hunt in a large marsh/swamp

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

.? On 1st hunt in a large marsh/swamp

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:59 pm

I have a question relating to a 1st hunt in a large marsh/swamp. This ties in with the new swamp video on how Dan and Mario sectioned a portion of the conservatory. I may only be able to get out the wis. opener in the afternoon, then it shifts to late oct. for me. My org. Plan was to go to an easy spot and try for a doe, but I started thinking about this other spot. Access is by boat. It is at the far end of this piece of public, which bumps up against what I believe is an outfitter. They draw the swamp deer into there property to the w, nw, the nearest crop fields are 3/8+ mile away. There are some oaks nearby as well. This spot will be wet, but has some great spots as well. My main question is, do most of the mature bucks still bed in the swamp, then move to food before being pressured? This spot has some oxbow's, tall grass (8-12' cane type) my thoughts are to be just off wind, hopefully not busting a doe bedding area, a good part of the swamp area is in marsh hay as well. Tamaracks, tag alders and clumps of red brush. Sorry for being vague, but I'm trying to not give the spot away. Fellow beasts in my area. :). Would you jump in and try for the buck bedding, or go for an easier doe, then wait for this spot to get more pressure from the private? Any thought/input would be appreciated

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

fishlips
500 Club

Re: .? On 1st hunt in a large marsh/swamp

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:10 am

Sounds like you have some intel on the spot, but not everything you need to get really excited about it. I have no shortage of spots like this!

I would hunt it. I go through the same thought process it sounds like you are going through wondering if you need human pressure to push the deer into the best bedding. I think I have discounted the fact that humans aren't the only thing putting pressure on the deer, so my thought is good bedding is going to hold good deer more times than not because year round something is trying to get a deer.

The worst thing that happens is you bust something out of there, but at least you can confirm that the spot is good for that time period and can use that intel in the future.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:23 am

I've never hunted it yet, but it does has had some slobs based on past Intel. In reality, I believe it holds deer year round as there are crop fields to the south west and northwest, within 3/8" mile or so. And oaks closer along with good marsh type food nearby.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:37 am

Sounds like a good spot to get some sits on. You can at least get some base knowledge on the spot to help down the road.

I have a few spots that I suspected were good in the past and believe they are, but have hung back and made a lot of excuses for not hunting them. This year some of these spots are top priority spots to hunt this year. Going to give them an early season hunt, rut hunt and possibly a late season hunt. Hopefully I have one tagged before late season, but at least I will start to put together a few more pieces on these spots that I am pretty confident are very good spots.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:44 am

Sounds good, this spot is a 4mile Jon boat ride in, or a 2.5 mile hike thru tags, and marsh grass, ectttttt, in water up to your knees if it is wet out. I did hunt one part not to far away last year, thought it would be dry, but was under 8+" of water. Hopefully I will have some interesting tails to tell this year.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:34 am

There will always be some mature bucks that bed deep in the swamps regardless of pressure.... Pressure can actually make it harder cause it puts the lesser bucks and does back there too and your bumping satellite deer. So early season is a great time to hunt deep for big bucks. I personally don't target does, almost never.... You only get so many days to hunt ;) Yo0u can always shoot a doe while buck hunting.

Also, there is a lot more food deep in those swamps than most realize. They eat all kinds of stuff. It ain't all corn and beans. There is no better hunt than an early season isolated island with buck bedding all around it and acorns dropping from a small group of the only white oaks in the area if your after a monster...
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:50 am

Got it. Now to hope for a favorable wind, which will be all but a north one. Thanks for the input guys. I've been looking at this spot for a few years, and the new swamp video made a couple of things jump out at me. I think it will still be a tough entrance, but one I want to attempt.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:54 am

8-)

Hope it goes well mag1, keep us updated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:00 am

Jackson, I was thinking of your "ode to the marsh" song. Even with the Jon boat, it is a haul. I was examining my maps over lunch, it's going to be tough to do without jumping some other deer, but I have a plan. Going to have to get started around noon for an evening sit. Lots of time to get in place. It looks similar to some of dans spots on the video. Defiantly going to need to spend more time scouting in Jan/feb/March this next year. This is near my "worst hike out ever" area from last year. Anybody use treaking poles in the marsh? They would be helpful, but noisy I think.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:53 am

dan wrote:Also, there is a lot more food deep in those swamps than most realize. They eat all kinds of stuff. It ain't all corn and beans.

I saw this exact scenario on Saturday when I scouted. 4 yearling bucks came out of the lowlands (cattails and red brush by a river) and sparred and fed in the CRP for an hr and a half or so. They had beans and corn near by, but didn't head for them until right at dark.

Talking oxbow and hollow yellow cane... That screams bedding. I find TONS of both buck and doe beds in that cane. Especially if there is an opening or pocket within it, which is most often canary grass.

If you don't have bedding nailed down, going in blind is pretty tricky from my experiences. Are there observation opportunities? Maybe an observation sit where you're in the game for a doe would be a good option??? Not trying to talk you out of swinging for the fence if you like your chances.

mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:00 am

The yellow cane is inland from the oxbow, and it had beds in it and on its side under some tags. There is another cane spot nearby with I believe doe bedding. It's a neat spot, no real good spot to observe, hard to explain. A map would be great but would give it away. It it's dry enough, bedding is everywhere. If it's wet, it changes it some, but I have a good idea on it. Now to only hunt it and see what really happens. Part of my problem would be observing it, then getting the time to come back soon after.
Thanks for the tips.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:04 am

I'd swing for the fences since you said you will only be able to hunt opening weekend and then not again until late October. Maybe you get lucky the first hunt and make a kill. Maybe you see movement and adjust on your next hunt in October.....maybe you just get hot and wet :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:01 pm

That's good JM, defiantly a hot hike, pray for colder weather, maybe mid 60's vs 85 or so. :). I'm sure the bugs will be having a hey day. I didn't get a chance to try my bug tamer head net last year, so it should be interesting. Now to see if I can get the Jon boat on top of the car without popping my other bicep muscle off the bone this year. Don't want a repeat of last year. I have an idea that should help.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”