Bridge Review: "Chapter 4 - Swamp Bedding."

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Bridge Review: "Chapter 4 - Swamp Bedding."

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:01 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:I also think this kind of thing is good to have in a library. Even though I do not spend a lot of time hunting this type of terrain, its always a good reference to come back to ...it just may spark an idea that was missed.

I couldn't agree more. Could you imagine how many hunting magazines you would have to save somewhere to try and come close to the information this dvd has?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Its kind of the whole reason I came to the beast to begin with. Most of what happens here on the beast is 99% about learning woodsmanship skills. I wanted to share ideas with guys killing deer outside of the rut. I don't expect the same kind of success in my state as Wisconsin. BUT there are still principles that can be applied.

There is just so much woodsmanship skills that have been lost nowadays. Every video is all about foodplots...foodplots and more foodplots. Woodsmanship skills require you to use the intel you have with the terrain you have and make something happen. Crops rotate, learn to adapt. Acorns fall, learn to adapt. Clearcut happens, learn to adapt. Other hunters there, learn to adapt.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:25 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:I also think this kind of thing is good to have in a library. Even though I do not spend a lot of time hunting this type of terrain, its always a good reference to come back to ...it just may spark an idea that was missed.

I couldn't agree more. Could you imagine how many hunting magazines you would have to save somewhere to try and come close to the information this dvd has?

Its kind of the whole reason I came to the beast to begin with. Most of what happens here on the beast is 99% about learning woodsmanship skills. I wanted to share ideas with guys killing deer outside of the rut. I don't expect the same kind of success in my state as Wisconsin. BUT there are still principles that can be applied.

There is just so much woodsmanship skills that have been lost nowadays. Every video is all about foodplots...foodplots and more foodplots. Woodsmanship skills require you to use the intel you have with the terrain you have and make something happen. Crops rotate, learn to adapt. Acorns fall, learn to adapt. Clearcut happens, learn to adapt. Other hunters there, learn to adapt.

Or bait sights!!! Couldn't agree more!!! Alot of younger or new hunters don't have a clue about woodmanship!!!
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm

I mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. Wind specific and non wind specific bedding was an eye opener for me. Realizing how a buck will bed to maximize all of his senses to be favorable, with his nose being the #1 defense mechanism, his eyes and ears being secondary. I think its safe to say this applies to all types of terrain, not just swamp. If I notice fresh sign near bedding at an exterior transitions adjacent to open field edges I will wait until wind is blowing towards the bedding, with the assumption they may be bedded deeper, accessing at an angle. Trying to set up on deer bedded on an open field edge seems too low percentage, I'll hunt a different location on that particular day. I have probably unknowingly bumped deer in the past by taking the easy access to an area with the wind in "my favor."

Something else that really stuck out to me is hunting an area when the wind is in the deer's favor. It makes complete sense. In swamps and marshes I will focus on points with wind blowing down the point, being extra cautious with my access and set up.

Seeing Scott in action was a great addition to the dvd. You did nice job pin pointing bedding in the cedar swamp. It was a well explained systematic approach of following the tracks and sign to the transition, finding a big tree supported by high ground, and ultimately bedding. Dan does a great job of course, but its nice to see another perspective from a person who I think is just as knowledgeable. It tied in well with your podcast. I would be interested in seeing and hearing more in the future. The well accomplished public land hunter is held in the highest regards here on the hunting beast!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:31 pm

Josh_S wrote:I mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. Wind specific and non wind specific bedding was an eye opener for me. Realizing how a buck will bed to maximize all of his senses to be favorable, with his nose being the #1 defense mechanism, his eyes and ears being secondary. I think its safe to say this applies to all types of terrain, not just swamp. If I notice fresh sign near bedding at an exterior transitions adjacent to open field edges I will wait until wind is blowing towards the bedding, with the assumption they may be bedded deeper, accessing at an angle. Trying to set up on deer bedded on an open field edge seems too low percentage, I'll hunt a different location on that particular day. I have probably unknowingly bumped deer in the past by taking the easy access to an area with the wind in "my favor."

Something else that really stuck out to me is hunting an area when the wind is in the deer's favor. It makes complete sense. In swamps and marshes I will focus on points with wind blowing down the point, being extra cautious with my access and set up.

Seeing Scott in action was a great addition to the dvd. You did nice job pin pointing bedding in the cedar swamp. It was a well explained systematic approach of following the tracks and sign to the transition, finding a big tree supported by high ground, and ultimately bedding. Dan does a great job of course, but its nice to see another perspective from a person who I think is just as knowledgeable. It tied in well with your podcast. I would be interested in seeing and hearing more in the future. The well accomplished public land hunter is held in the highest regards here on the hunting beast!

That was also something that I picked up on was the wind and non wind specific. Because many of the beds I hunt appear to be non specific as their is no sight advantage. 360 degrees cover around them. I thought I was going crazy as much of the bedding I find in flat country is not wind specific as much of it is deep in the timber, not field edges. Much of it is like what is described deeper in the cover.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:22 am

Josh_S wrote:I mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. Wind specific and non wind specific bedding was an eye opener for me. Realizing how a buck will bed to maximize all of his senses to be favorable, with his nose being the #1 defense mechanism, his eyes and ears being secondary. I think its safe to say this applies to all types of terrain, not just swamp. If I notice fresh sign near bedding at an exterior transitions adjacent to open field edges I will wait until wind is blowing towards the bedding, with the assumption they may be bedded deeper, accessing at an angle. Trying to set up on deer bedded on an open field edge seems too low percentage, I'll hunt a different location on that particular day. I have probably unknowingly bumped deer in the past by taking the easy access to an area with the wind in "my favor."

Thanks Josh, much appreciated!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:28 am

stash59 wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

Or bait sights!!! Couldn't agree more!!! Alot of younger or new hunters don't have a clue about woodmanship!!!

Excellent points guys. Woodsmanship really is becoming a lost art. Many have gravitated to high tech with trailcams, cyber scouting, etc. but I shake my head when 20 trucks full of hunters drive right by big buck tracks on the dirt road as they race to check their cameras. :doh:

When you have hunters (like many here on the Beast) who excel at woodsmanship and are able to combine it with new high tech approaches... you end up with a Lobo Wolf like Dan!
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:27 am

Josh_S wrote:Seeing Scott in action was a great addition to the dvd. You did nice job pin pointing bedding in the cedar swamp. It was a well explained systematic approach of following the tracks and sign to the transition, finding a big tree supported by high ground, and ultimately bedding. Dan does a great job of course, but its nice to see another perspective from a person who I think is just as knowledgeable. It tied in well with your podcast. I would be interested in seeing and hearing more in the future. The well accomplished public land hunter is held in the highest regards here on the hunting beast!

Totally agree! Watching how SB walked the transition and found that one tree was kind of an ah ha moment for me since that terrain is very familiar to what i'm used to hunting.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:53 pm

rbuckleyjr1 wrote:
Josh_S wrote:Seeing Scott in action was a great addition to the dvd. You did nice job pin pointing bedding in the cedar swamp. It was a well explained systematic approach of following the tracks and sign to the transition, finding a big tree supported by high ground, and ultimately bedding. Dan does a great job of course, but its nice to see another perspective from a person who I think is just as knowledgeable. It tied in well with your podcast. I would be interested in seeing and hearing more in the future. The well accomplished public land hunter is held in the highest regards here on the hunting beast!

Totally agree! Watching how SB walked the transition and found that one tree was kind of an ah ha moment for me since that terrain is very familiar to what i'm used to hunting.

Glad to hear it fit for you. 8-)

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:53 am

mainebowhunter wrote:

Great statement. Learning to adapt. That's something that's been lost in most hunters I see.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”