My season

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigRed

My season

Unread postby BigRed » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:14 am

With 2 week left in the season, and a whole bunch of Christmas stuff i think my season is done. Was gonna go yesterday, but the blizzard changed my plans. After spotting a possible booner in August i had high hopes for the year, but it wasnt to be. Due to family stuff and kids gettin older i only got out witht the bow 4 times. Saw some fawns, and a couple spikes and forks but that was it. gun season rolled around, deer camp for us is the Americinn in wabasha with the wife and kids and parents so things were lookin up. I got up opening morning, and my phone rings. Turns out my parents had to drive back to st paul at 3am because my grandpa had fallen in the night and was on his way to the hospital. So this was the first time my dad wasnt gonna be around opening morning. In a way, i think it hurt my chances because i couldnt hunt where i wanted to because its way back in the hills and no cell service, so if something happened im screwed. So i made the best of it and got set in a decent spot. Only saw a spike. The next day my buddy came down so i went to the spot i wanted to opener. Only to find a guy had walked in off the private and was sittin exactly where i wanted to be. So i went to the oppostite side of the ridge. About 8:30 a deer is comin, and its a buck. He was descent not a monster, but i was ready to shoot. Had the crosshairs on him at 25 yds only to see its a big 6 with no brow tines. Cant shoot due to Antler restrictions, damn. He walks off, the a little while later further down the hill a buck comes by gruntin, but i cant see because its so thick but he was a heavy deer. My buddy clipped an 8 pointer that morning see we spent a while lookin for him. He just knicked his belly though low. A little white hair very little blood. I think it was just a flesh wound. The next morning dad still cant hunt, and my buddy bailed on me, because the weather got to warm, and the area is just to big, and the deer are hiding now. So im on my own again. Went back to where i saw that 6, but the wind shifted on me about 9:30 so i moved to another ridge where i knew does would bed. While standing on top i see a deer walkin the sidehill to where im headed and he pulls his head up and its a real nice buck. im out of range so i tried to sneak along the other sidehill since i had the wind in my favor. Only to have the buck turn towards me without me seeing. He popped his head out behind some cedar trees almost as if to laugh and was gone with no shot offered. That night went to the swamp and had a buck demolishing some red brush 30 yds from me, but it was so thick i couldnt see him, but it was a nice deer. I'll never sit on the ground again on the swamp. He stepped out when it was to dark to shoot. The next day it was almost 70, and i didnt see jack. Thats my season in a nutshell. My grandpa is better but my dad didnt get to gun hunt, he was pretty bummed. And hasnt hunted much since due to takin care of grandpa. I guess you have seasons that dont go your way, thats all i can say about this year. With a little more luck i coulda shot one of those nice bucks but it wasnt meant to be. Though i have to thank Dan and all the advice from this sight and you guys for gettin that close to mature bucks. The bright side is 2011 season starts in 3 weeks, and almost time to start scouting for next year.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: My season

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:12 am

Sometimes you get one... Sometimes you don't. At least your getting out and having fun trying. 8-)
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:11 pm

At least you're seeing deer! And primarily bucks! both of which are good sign. Unless thats heavily hunted they made it through gun season and will only be bigger next year! Good luck time to start scouting!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Sounds like some good sits to me expect you didn't get to pull the trigger. I would count that as a pretty good gun hunt.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:10 pm

Productive sits and "in the woods" while season is underway...no complaints about that! A month from now that will all be missed. Enjoy today!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:41 pm

I hope i didnt sound like i was upset about not getting a shot at any of those deer, it was a blast. I just have never shot a buck yet so to be that close to several beasts i just wanted to seal the deal. Those are hunts ill never forget

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”