Beast Tactical Discussion - Public Land - Bridge

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Re: Beast Tactical Discussion - Public Land - Bridge

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:31 am

Great topic SB.

Lockdown's map example is great. I especially like how he mapped out the deer trails to follow possible transitions. Love to see more examples like this!

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:36 am

Looks like most already nailed a lot of the buck/doe bedding.

I highlighted the area I would hunt during cruising/rut as when I look at this picture everything seems to funnel through one point. I think most deer would travel the stand I highlighted with the circled X at some point and I think the wind currents could be played well here with both thermals and the pull of the flowing water in river. I would probably prep a tree on each side for North or South based winds. I think in a lot of the areas the river structure itself might cause a lot of swirling and thermals might also play a bigger role (cant see what the elevation gain is but it appears there is some gain on both sides?)? I have found in large rivers it takes a pretty strong thermal to overpower the flow created by the movement of the water in the river. Have to float some pods to be sure.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:25 am

My first question would be where is the other hunting pressure. The crows foot funnel looks good on the map but I have a very simular river set up that I hunt and that crows foot draws a ton of hunters. Assuming this is Michigan and the responses of guys on here I would bet that peninsula gets pressure. Guys here love funnels.. Funnels draw hunters... I would focus on more overlooked areas. I would check some of the river flats for bedding but the area that catches my eye the most is the low spots in the north woods in the north east corner of the map. I would expect hill style bedding on the edge of that n buck bedding possibly down low in that valley.

Also in Michigan we have alot of fishermen. I know you said it gets little to no boat traffic. It doesnt take but one or two boats or guys walking the river to wipe out most river bedding locations. I would look for human foot paths running the edge of the river. This would wipe out some great funnels.

My point is that there are numerous possible areas that have potential. They could all be there as expected or if pressure is in the area it may take looking at everything to find one thing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:43 am

A lot of hunting pressure can certainly alter things...

Pressure beds and pressure travel would certainly become what we would need to look for in this area if that was the case- and it definitely has both if needed.

Any other thoughts on where?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:03 am

oldrank wrote:My first question would be where is the other hunting pressure. The crows foot funnel looks good on the map but I have a very simular river set up that I hunt and that crows foot draws a ton of hunters. Assuming this is Michigan and the responses of guys on here I would bet that peninsula gets pressure. Guys here love funnels.. Funnels draw hunters... I would focus on more overlooked areas. I would check some of the river flats for bedding but the area that catches my eye the most is the low spots in the north woods in the north east corner of the map. I would expect hill style bedding on the edge of that n buck bedding possibly down low in that valley.

Also in Michigan we have alot of fishermen. I know you said it gets little to no boat traffic. It doesnt take but one or two boats or guys walking the river to wipe out most river bedding locations. I would look for human foot paths running the edge of the river. This would wipe out some great funnels.

My point is that there are numerous possible areas that have potential. They could all be there as expected or if pressure is in the area it may take looking at everything to find one thing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Great post Oldrank!

Really makes a guy think...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:55 am

This is my take on this situation.

Even though the elevation around the the river is flat, The bucks will still relate to the river using terrain (hill country tendencies in this case, they will bed watching over the river valley itself). Also, they will use any vegetation density they can behind them, as long as it also relates to elevation changes. If there are any pine trees on this edge they will likely be bedding under them.

White line... outlines the perimeter of what appears to be smaller crowned, more dense vegetation. i.e. they will use the thick cover behind them as they look over the river valley itself. I typically will reference multiple aerials in order to make this kind of assessment,but based on what I see here this is the best spot.

Yellow circles... probable buck bedding. They will cross the river to bed on the other side if the wind dictates.

Blue lines... probable movement patterns once they leave their beds. I think they would cross the river without hesitation.

Black X"s...possible stand locations

I would think you would have better luck putting up a stand on the east side of the river based on the "moderate" hunting pressure, I believe most hunters would identify the pinch west of the crows feet as a terrain trap, and bucks would adjust their movement patterns to avoid this. However, if there is zero pressure, this could be an aweswome setup.

These are early season setups. Once the rut kicks in I believe PK hit the nail on the head with setting up near the tributary to the north. There ought to be a crossing there that is obvious.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:44 am

Like it... That spot you marked where the feeder stream dumps in from the top right, where it intersects the trail going around the outside of the big river bend, with the right wind would have a lot of potential.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:35 pm

I like the way you drew up that pic Lockdown and Klemz. Some great observations there!

I wonder if a person can spot oaks in the photo by looking at the color of the trees. Around here, maples and other softwoods turn first - what I suspect all the color is? - and oaks turn later and would still be the green leaved deciduous trees in the photo. Since I don't know the region, that's just a guess. Would make it easier to check for acorns if that's the case - that isthmus and the area in the lower right corner seem to have those trees. Upper right green seems to be more conifers. The photo is close enough to pinpoint individual trees nearest potential bedding. Maybe that's a WAG.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Great points being made. One of the things I like the best about the pic is how many possibilities there are in a relatively small area.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:11 am

I just have to say I'm having a hard time seeing what you all picked out from this camera angle. I guess I need to up my game using birdseye angles. The steep bank on the river is obvious. Along with the funnel of the isthmus. Like Joe I do look at the tree colors. Then determine if the green ones are hardwoods or conifers.

Maybe one of you experts could start a thread. Making comparisons between birdseye and straight down. I do know that when viewing straight down photos. In hill or mountain country. The higher areas go out of focus sooner when you zoom in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”