Un-marked public land?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Un-marked public land?

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:04 pm

I get the same problems with google. The property I have permission to hunt Turkey near my home isn't posted, but when you look at it on Google maps pretty much all there property is marked as game lands along with the posted property that boarders it. The property I hunt is obviously not game land because it's mostly crops hay and pasture fields and a large patch of Timber they have select cut recently.

Tha t being said I wouldn't trust any online maps or Google maps. I would talk to DNR or check with the county.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Joe™
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri May 06, 2016 12:54 am

Ya never trust a google map, even a lot of dnr maps just cover the general "public forest" areas but don't do into detail about land ownership. There is often a lot of private land mixed in with the public. Almost every county by my has a public GIS website these days, those tend to be very accurate.
redfeather

Unread postby redfeather » Tue May 24, 2016 3:01 am

Download Onx hunt maps it does a propert boundary overlay on google maps. It is the most accurate land border software I have seen. I have a few buddies who are surveyors and we test it all the time it is always spot on

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 am

Call your local USDA extension office, particularly if it's wetland (ish).
They have the soil type and ownership mapped. Good luck getting a map from them, but they tell me verbally.
I run OnX myself but where do you think they source that information?

I have inspected land marked as public only to find out the plat book was wrong. Glad it wasn't hunting season, could have been bad scene.
Certain landowners and/or certain areas in my state are notorious for posting of public land..
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:41 am

BigHunt wrote:on the on x maps there is this small piece of public marked public . I drive by and there's a no trespassing sign on it. I thought that was odd . I called the warden about it and he said he would take a drive and look for the sign ... 2 days later I drove by and the sign was gone :shock: he never did call me back :think:

I think a lot of people put up No trespassing signs or knock the public signs down so people thinks its private ....I have a small feeling when Jodi and I are turkey hutting in there this year we might have a visitor waiting for us when we come out :lol:

I've seen this a bunch in Michigan and a bit in Iowa. My favorite spot would have never been found if I paid attention to the boundary signs instead of the actual map lines. Someone had moved the public boundary line 250 yards in to make it look like the edge of the public area was private. I have a spot in Ohio that isn't marked and not on any public land sites that is pretty sweet. Few guys know about it though. Not a slam dunk by any means but definitely less pressure.
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:41 am

There is a piece of public land by me that is across the street from a large block of managed property. Guys use to park in the pull off for the public and sneak on to the managed property and hunt (playing it off they were tracking a deer). The owner got permission to post the parking lot and small section of public to scare off potential trespassers. Its still public on the one side though and you can hunt it, down side is the landowner might come down to say hi and make sure you are where you are suppose to be.

If I were you I would double check with the DNR if its really public and then if it is hunt it. Just check because sometimes (though rarely) if its posted it might still be public, like I stated above or more often, if it isn't posted doesn't mean that its not private land recently purchased from the county. Best to check.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:53 am

I know of a piece or two like this. No signs but it's definetly public land any one can hunt. It's got great bedding early season in it, and is a slammer spot when hit just right. Rotates with crops though. Not many know of it and stay out. But I went to local dnr office and made sure it was state. Most of the time if you go in with a map and tell them you wanted to make sure it's state ground, and do a "double check" and not "hey it's not got any signs saying so" they will confirm yes or no.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:52 am

nater wrote:If you don't want to deal with the DNR--figure out the Township-Range-Section-Quarter Section and go to talk to the County Assessor in person (or give them a call). They should be able to tell you definitively who owns it. I would not trust the county GIS websites--they are frequently wrong when it comes to state ownership. Third parties (like Onx) that get their GIS info from the counties are likely repeating the same bad info. What the County has written down on file is more accurate than what got transcribed for their GIS records. A lot of these databases are newer and haven't been error checked. The final word is the recorded deed for the property in question. And the county has that.

The other thing to be careful about--not all new acquisitions are open to hunting. If it's a state park, water access site, or Scientific and Natural Area the property could be state owned but with no hunting. Some Aquatic Management Areas are also open to hunting but some are not.

Yes, they are wrong sometimes . My land in Price co. WIs. was labelled public. It is next to public. I dont think anyone hunted it though cause it is obviously private and has a cabin on it. Also, last year the Price co. forester marked the border for a logging crew to come in. It was 40 yds on to my property. They agreed they were wrong and no harm was done.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:08 pm

OnXmaps. They have a 7 day free trial. It is really helpful. I just had a friend do some screen shots of Public land and the Boundaries for me. I have same deal with this public seems the signs are missing & no trespassing signs up. Now I saved all the screen shots from my buddy and I know have another cool spot to go scout and then hunt this year

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”