Island Hunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Island Hunting

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:16 am

I have spent a ton of time on backwaters on the Mississippi, there are definitely deer on those islands!

However around here they get a fair bit of pressure during gun season. Some crews of hunters push lots of islands and its hard for a deer to escape a big deer drive on an island. It might be because the river is so big, the islands draw more attention. As a result I have not seen anything older than a 2 year old buck out there and mostly does and fawns, few bucks. I bet no one bow hunts them though. One tip around here - AVOID DUCK AND GOOSE SEASON.

Smaller river islands might be better, more overlooked. I had a former co-worker that killed a couple whopper bucks on a island a few acres in size in a small river in IL. Nobody else ever thought to hunt it and the big bucks learned that. Most of the time he could get out there in waders, hunted it sparingly and was rewarded.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:18 am

I haven't found any islands worth hunting recently closet to me, but see a very noticeable difference in sign/sightings, etc. when I have to use a canoe/kayak to get in. Paddle-in stuff is largely what I target now. I'm a total novice to pressured public land hunting, really started digging in both feet three of four years ago when my kids were born and I didn't have time to head north where I had done most of my previous hunting. To me I just really dig the adventure of it too.

My first year I didn't see much and was very frustrated and motivated to get better. I started to look at hard to access stuff and really targeted paddle-in locations and the next year actually started seeing deer and good sign! That also coincided with getting on the beast, both kind of signs of starting to think higher level about hunting. Same general principal as many other strategies, avoid pressure and put in the work most others won't and you're often rewarded. I used this season for in season scouting as much as sitting on some of these parcels, and feel like I'm in pretty good shape to have an exciting season in 2016 and keep the canoe buck pics rolling!

For ease of access and transportation I love my kayak, but twice have had to go back for a canoe when I've been successful (could have made it work I suppose, but this spot is pretty close to home and canoe just made it easier). When I'm paddling anything more than a half mile in shallow water I just use my canoe in case I'm successful. I use an old beater 16-foot aluminum canoe that is plenty light for me to load and unload solo and fits everything. Usually my stand and bow up front are just enough to keep that balanced enough not to spin in circles. I even have some spots I can hike to but still paddle to. Being able to paddle up, sneak up a bank and be hunting with almost no scent footprint and no noise is huge.

I have two bucks in particular I think I may have the drop on doing this next year. Going to get one more scout in at each spot in the next month and get a set all worked out and then wait anxiously for the opener!

Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:55 pm

I use a Louisiana product, a Bandit aluminum pirogue, 10' long , beam 29", that weighs 48# for water access. Use a kayak paddle, push pole, or tolling motor or a combination, whatever it takes to get there.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:18 pm

Craigslist scouting just paid off. I found a 2 seat kayak for only $250 and will be able to scout/prep for 2016 :dance:
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:40 pm

When I was in Canada fishing years ago, the guys and I were motoring along and we saw a brown dot in the middle of the lake hundreds of yards away. As we got closer we realized it was a whitetail doe swimming. We knew she came off the island we were going to fish (300-400 acre island) but had to look around to figure out her destination. There were a couple islands really close together that she was heading for. They each were maybe 30 yards in diameter. If I had to guess it was a 1/2 to 3/4 mile swim.

It was spring (early May) so maybe the island fawning scenario happens more than a guys thinks :think:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:37 pm

Lockdown wrote:When I was in Canada fishing years ago, the guys and I were motoring along and we saw a brown dot in the middle of the lake hundreds of yards away. As we got closer we realized it was a whitetail doe swimming. We knew she came off the island we were going to fish (300-400 acre island) but had to look around to figure out her destination. There were a couple islands really close together that she was heading for. They each were maybe 30 yards in diameter. If I had to guess it was a 1/2 to 3/4 mile swim.

It was spring (early May) so maybe the island fawning scenario happens more than a guys thinks :think:

It's very common. I see it all the time in northern WI wolf country.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:27 am

Kraftd wrote:I haven't found any islands worth hunting recently closet to me, but see a very noticeable difference in sign/sightings, etc. when I have to use a canoe/kayak to get in. Paddle-in stuff is largely what I target now. I'm a total novice to pressured public land hunting, really started digging in both feet three of four years ago when my kids were born and I didn't have time to head north where I had done most of my previous hunting. To me I just really dig the adventure of it too.

My first year I didn't see much and was very frustrated and motivated to get better. I started to look at hard to access stuff and really targeted paddle-in locations and the next year actually started seeing deer and good sign! That also coincided with getting on the beast, both kind of signs of starting to think higher level about hunting. Same general principal as many other strategies, avoid pressure and put in the work most others won't and you're often rewarded. I used this season for in season scouting as much as sitting on some of these parcels, and feel like I'm in pretty good shape to have an exciting season in 2016 and keep the canoe buck pics rolling!

For ease of access and transportation I love my kayak, but twice have had to go back for a canoe when I've been successful (could have made it work I suppose, but this spot is pretty close to home and canoe just made it easier). When I'm paddling anything more than a half mile in shallow water I just use my canoe in case I'm successful. I use an old beater 16-foot aluminum canoe that is plenty light for me to load and unload solo and fits everything. Usually my stand and bow up front are just enough to keep that balanced enough not to spin in circles. I even have some spots I can hike to but still paddle to. Being able to paddle up, sneak up a bank and be hunting with almost no scent footprint and no noise is huge.

I have two bucks in particular I think I may have the drop on doing this next year. Going to get one more scout in at each spot in the next month and get a set all worked out and then wait anxiously for the opener!

Man that pirogue looks good. Too bad the nearest dealer is 500+ miles away!
Oops, wuoted the wrong pics...
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:23 am

I am assuming that after dark the usual red/green lights are needed. Do you guys have a easy way of dealing with that?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:19 pm

I don't believe boat lights are required for non-motorized craft many places. Most of where I'm hunting at is small enough boats aren't an issue. I love paddling in the dark but usually have my headlamp in just in case.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:27 pm

I have seen kayakers tie red/green glow sticks to front/back of their yaks at night.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
NIceman

Unread postby NIceman » Wed May 04, 2016 8:26 am

Findian wrote:
Icebreaker wrote:Alright well it sounds like I need to investigate this option.

Let's talk raft for a bit. I have explored the inflatable raft option a bit, and that means reading some reviews and pricing things out. Now, what does this option mean?

1.) I can carry it not inflated to the shore and inflate it with a pump I'll have to bring out with me, along with carrying my climber stand, pack, bow, and paddle, oh and life jacket.
2) Weight limit depends on size of raft, but enough to carry all I need, and ample room.
3) I won't be moving too quickly being a raft and not a kayak/canoe.
4) River waters may be slightly treacherous potentially and who knows what's under the surface and may puncture raft = Bad Day 4 Me.
5) If successful, how do I get this dead bruiser back to land? I suppose I would need a second one to pump up, put Mr Bruiser in there, tie it to mine, and paddle us both back to land...
6) No trailer or hitch on car needed :dance:

Kayak option
1) I will have to install a hitch on the car and purchase a trailer (Harbor Freight fold-up 4x8) to transport the kayak, or strap on top of car? Maybe need a luggage rack type thing to strap to?
2) I'll have to park at a boat landing which means longer route to desired destination.
3) I'll have to buy a raft anyways to carry all of my stuff, stand, bow, pack or a kayak big enough to haul it all, again though, what do I do with Mr Bruiser?
4) I can travel faster on the water, which is nice.
5) serious $$$$$ in total investment.

And I gotta do one of these just to scout?!

Something else I thought of, I'll be on the water in darkness so I'll have to have a light, right? Will my headlamp work as my night light?

Any other ideas? I'm not leaning towards a motorized boat, I plan on using the raft or kayak in other areas like these winding waterways that are around in order to access spots I am sure next to NO ONE goes to...

Am I missing something here to consider? What do ya'll think....?

Or you could by a old cheap Canoe for around 100. or so may need to plug a couple of leaks. Then get a couple 2x4's then spray some spray insulating material on one side of both 2x4's let it harden then mold them to your car roof then put Canoe on top of car roof, tie down canoe and go. Cheap, easy, and can resell canoe if you find out it's not for you.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I am in same situation as Icebreaker. Not sure how to proceed/if worth it. Even recently, scouted an area of public with a nice sized island off to southeast. There are 200yds or so of cattail-type marsh in between mainland and the island. I started walking (up to top of rubber boots), and can see that this could easily go over my head in depth...possibly not but over my boots, that's for sure. Also it's not clear open water....all marshy type but I KNOW NO ONE has gone out there to hunt, dammit, wish there was an easier way. Not sure how to proceed....

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”