Island Hunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Island Hunting

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:20 pm

Zodiac would be the way to go. Keep checking your local craigslist, you should be able to find one for a reasonable price.

Spysar and KraftD are two members that come to mind.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:41 pm

There is one particular island spot I have just started adventuring to this past year. Requires a boat ride across a lake and then canoe down small river. It's basically double remote. There is absolutely no walking to this spot from the nearest road/parking. I only scouted it once last year and didn't get a chance to hunt it. But, what I am trying to say is the deer sign was nothing I've seen before and there is not 1 human sign out there. My goal is to make 2 scouting trips out there and connect the dots for a hunt or 2 this coming fall. Go remote. Do your homework. You won't regret it.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:45 pm

This should get interesting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25382&p=328568

Here is another one.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20506&p=253214#p253214
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 pm

I know a guy that shot a booner on a river island that was owned by the state between no hunting areas. These are small islands maybe 2-3 acres. We bowfished by them he showed me his spots. I know he waited till rut to hunt them. He used a canoe to get to them.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:39 pm

I seen a few interesting posts online about 'pack rafts' .
Commonly used for Alaska hunts where travel is either float plane or water based.
A 2-6 pound raft added to a LW setup IS DO-ABLE. I have been waiting for a water option to fall into my lap for a year now. But like you I'm not sure of what way to go.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Dewey wrote:Check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25382&p=328568

Here is another one.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20506&p=253214#p253214

When fishing up north I make it a point to explore public islands whenever I can. More often than not I have found buck sign. Problem is most of these islands are relatively small so access to get on and set up for a hunt would be a challenge. It's definitely doable on larger islands if you can sneak in on the downwind side. I have a few in mind but never got around to hunting them yet.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:07 pm

Do the deer use these islands fairly regularly, or is pressure pushing them there?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:43 pm

I have seen does do it yearly to give birth to fawns. Thinking to avoid predators more than anything since this was in wolf country.

Very little hunting pressure so I suspect bucks do it for the same reason. Most islands have everything they need to survive and other than for breeding they probably don't need to leave the security very often. In one of the links I posted above I witnessed a buck swimming back and forth to a bedding island numerous times very early morning and then back to mainland after sunset.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:32 am

It seems a bit intimidating to me as well. Cold weather /water, extra equipment, nighttime, and intentionally finding a deserted location.

What could possibly go wrong????

I doubt that the inflatable is a go for me unless it's a pricy,high quality product like a zodiac.

A small canoe or kayak has been proven effective by fellow Beast members. It seems decent and that's what I am watching for on CL.

Like all specific techniques, it won't be worth it in all areas. And other areas with simple techniques should be pursued first. It only gets complicated if WE make it that way.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:13 am

Icebreaker wrote:Alright well it sounds like I need to investigate this option.

Let's talk raft for a bit. I have explored the inflatable raft option a bit, and that means reading some reviews and pricing things out. Now, what does this option mean?

1.) I can carry it not inflated to the shore and inflate it with a pump I'll have to bring out with me, along with carrying my climber stand, pack, bow, and paddle, oh and life jacket.
2) Weight limit depends on size of raft, but enough to carry all I need, and ample room.
3) I won't be moving too quickly being a raft and not a kayak/canoe.
4) River waters may be slightly treacherous potentially and who knows what's under the surface and may puncture raft = Bad Day 4 Me.
5) If successful, how do I get this dead bruiser back to land? I suppose I would need a second one to pump up, put Mr Bruiser in there, tie it to mine, and paddle us both back to land...
6) No trailer or hitch on car needed :dance:

Kayak option
1) I will have to install a hitch on the car and purchase a trailer (Harbor Freight fold-up 4x8) to transport the kayak, or strap on top of car? Maybe need a luggage rack type thing to strap to?
2) I'll have to park at a boat landing which means longer route to desired destination.
3) I'll have to buy a raft anyways to carry all of my stuff, stand, bow, pack or a kayak big enough to haul it all, again though, what do I do with Mr Bruiser?
4) I can travel faster on the water, which is nice.
5) serious $$$$$ in total investment.

And I gotta do one of these just to scout?!

Something else I thought of, I'll be on the water in darkness so I'll have to have a light, right? Will my headlamp work as my night light?

Any other ideas? I'm not leaning towards a motorized boat, I plan on using the raft or kayak in other areas like these winding waterways that are around in order to access spots I am sure next to NO ONE goes to...

Am I missing something here to consider? What do ya'll think....?

I actually usually don't use a light on the water, I feel like I see better without it

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:18 am

I like my inflatable canoes for certain situations. You can get an electric pump that is rechargeable and blows them up in a matter of minutes.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:47 am

Icebreaker wrote:Alright well it sounds like I need to investigate this option.

Let's talk raft for a bit. I have explored the inflatable raft option a bit, and that means reading some reviews and pricing things out. Now, what does this option mean?

1.) I can carry it not inflated to the shore and inflate it with a pump I'll have to bring out with me, along with carrying my climber stand, pack, bow, and paddle, oh and life jacket.
2) Weight limit depends on size of raft, but enough to carry all I need, and ample room.
3) I won't be moving too quickly being a raft and not a kayak/canoe.
4) River waters may be slightly treacherous potentially and who knows what's under the surface and may puncture raft = Bad Day 4 Me.
5) If successful, how do I get this dead bruiser back to land? I suppose I would need a second one to pump up, put Mr Bruiser in there, tie it to mine, and paddle us both back to land...
6) No trailer or hitch on car needed :dance:

Kayak option
1) I will have to install a hitch on the car and purchase a trailer (Harbor Freight fold-up 4x8) to transport the kayak, or strap on top of car? Maybe need a luggage rack type thing to strap to?
2) I'll have to park at a boat landing which means longer route to desired destination.
3) I'll have to buy a raft anyways to carry all of my stuff, stand, bow, pack or a kayak big enough to haul it all, again though, what do I do with Mr Bruiser?
4) I can travel faster on the water, which is nice.
5) serious $$$$$ in total investment.

And I gotta do one of these just to scout?!

Something else I thought of, I'll be on the water in darkness so I'll have to have a light, right? Will my headlamp work as my night light?

Any other ideas? I'm not leaning towards a motorized boat, I plan on using the raft or kayak in other areas like these winding waterways that are around in order to access spots I am sure next to NO ONE goes to...

Am I missing something here to consider? What do ya'll think....?

Or you could by a old cheap Canoe for around 100. or so may need to plug a couple of leaks. Then get a couple 2x4's then spray some spray insulating material on one side of both 2x4's let it harden then mold them to your car roof then put Canoe on top of car roof, tie down canoe and go. Cheap, easy, and can resell canoe if you find out it's not for you.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:41 am

I've got a Geenoe. They are popular down here. Manufactured in titusville. They are similar to a canoe but wider with a flat back. Put a 10hp on it a roll. You can paddle or push pole easily. They draft shallow like they foat in spit. All fiberglass and super tough. I use it a lot when I'm by myself or going into the back country.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:24 pm

I have had them a couple years. I haven't been fortunate enough to get them bloody yet but I have used them quite a bit for scouting. They are very rugged, similar construction to a whitewater raft (I believe that is their intended use). I have purposely run them into tree limbs and brush along creeks, I also generally drag them anywhere from 50-200 yards inflated to water's edge. They slide very easy in grass and the bottoms are very thick and durable rubber. These are not great for kayaking in open water, you don't want to deal with strong wind, they do not track nearly as well as a hardshell kayak or a canoe. You also do not want to paddle through vegetation, they just don't cut through it well. But I have had them in swamps and marshes less than a foot deep and out on huge lakes, they are a good option if transport is an issue. They roll up into a bag small enough to throw in the passenger seat of a car. I love it because I can toss the single in the truck just in case I need it without sacrificing much room. Never know if a deer might swim out somewhere and die after the shot, etc...

The one in the forefront, the 'Colorado' is a tandem (seats are removable) and I believe the weight limit is 500# and the 'Rio' in the back is a single with a 350# weight limit. I can fit stand/sticks, fanny or backpack and weapon in the rio. The small deer down here, I could pile one in there and sit on top of it and still be within the weight limit, but would have to make second trip for gear… I only bought the Colorado because I got it cheap used. I saw one after I bought that one on craigslist for $100…

I only use them here and there but do not regret buying them at all.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”