Public Land hunt, where to go? pics FLORIDA

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woods_water_hunter

Public Land hunt, where to go? pics FLORIDA

Unread postby woods_water_hunter » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:12 am

Hello,

I''m new to the forum and have been reading some very good information on this forum. I'm in Northwest, FL. We have no elevation!!! I've attached a couple of pics because I'm curious where you guys think I should hunt on this certain parcel of land. It is public land but population is not a problem. No-one is ever out here. One of the pictures I have posted is marked with multiple lines. Anything in red is clearcut. The bigger portion is probably 1-2yrs cut. The smaller part was very recently cut. The green is planted pines and obviously the roads are visible. I also attached a picture with yellow border. That is the basic area I think will produce a good buck. The river is high right now so I figured this is where the deer are gunna push up to. The clear transition line closer to the river is obviously where the swamp land begins eventually turning into the river. Can you guys give me some help on where to hunt? I'm open for everything.

Thanks,

Dale

A day in the woods is always a good day
sunset samurai

Re: Public Land hunt, where to go? pics FLORIDA

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 am

The point below the small red thing on the last pic could be a good place to check.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Not easy to pattern deer in that terrain, just setup at the current water line. Deer should be moving good with the rut and cold weather up your way. I would sit just to the west of your yellow section where the swamp has a little 'belly' to the north.

Good luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:48 pm

Looks like PK has a new spot ;)

Back to the topic.. Swamp deer are very difficult to pattern as mentioned above, you really have to look for the obvious sign like along creeks or any terrain changes to get a grasp on how the deer are working the area
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
woods_water_hunter

Unread postby woods_water_hunter » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:03 pm

I hunted this morning and didn't see anything. The problem is where I am the swamp and land is so thick I cannot really go anywhere. I have to stay in the clear cut. The woods are not walkable. It's literally a complete thicket. I was able to get into some of the planted pines but then again it was so thick I couldn't even move without making a ton of noise. I did look at caltopo a few weeks ago and was able to find some high spots but then again I won't be able to access them. I found another parcel of land that is nearby water and not so thick. I'm gunna check it out next weekend.

Thanks guys
A day in the woods is always a good day
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:01 am

I LOVE FLORIDA HUNTING!! The oak trees are so cool how they grow sideways. It is hard to track sometimes bc iof the sand. Alot of ground hunting...When I was hunting there, it felt like what my grandpa used to tell me about how it was RARE to see a whitetail. I spent lots of time chasing turkeys and hogs. The biggest buck I got to see was around 150", I had to do a drive. I walked thru a WALL of green, it felt like I was pushing heavy curtains out of my way. Inside those thick areas, I was only able to find few trees able to hold a stand and access was a nightmare. Anyways, TRASITION LINES seemed to be the place to be and they are using their eyes and ears more than their nose I think that's why they stay locked in those seriously thick unhuntable areas, decent bucks I mean... I was not a Beast Hunter back then but I cant remember finding buck sign often. On public land I was hunting, there were patches in the middle of palmetto thickets that were tall skinny trees that were really grey colored. It was dark in the patches and seemed to be cooler. Those patches were always damp / moist and sometimes held water, they were beat to dirt and a lot more deer sign than hogs. I would find a large tree in palmetto thickets and sit and scout, find the does, hunt everything else till u find what your looking for, Good luck

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”