Western Public Land Big Game Hunt Questions

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Findian
500 Club

Re: Western Public Land Big Game Hunt Questions

Unread postby Findian » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:20 am

What would be a good time to hit South Dakota for mule deer with the bow? Been thinking about going there this coming up season because of the OTC tag option.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:34 am

Call the DNR for each western states. They are extremely helpful. They can point you in the right direction and give you some tips. Rokslide.com is hunting beast version for out west hunting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:46 am

Findian wrote:What would be a good time to hit South Dakota for mule deer with the bow? Been thinking about going there this coming up season because of the OTC tag option.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

From what I've seen out there the mulies don't rut like the whitetails do, so going during rut isn't crucial. Actually the mulie I killed out there in 2013 was bedded with 5 or 6 does, they got up and left, and he stayed laying down. This happened during the 2nd week of November too.

The mulies are way more visible than whitetails during mid day and such. Whitetails find cover, mulies just find a leeward hill or wooded draw and meander around periodically.

Me and a fellow Beast are going to SD again this fall and we might even go mid Oct when whitetail action is slowest. Be aware of pheasant opener... Lots of upland hunters in SD

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edge

Unread postby Edge » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:23 pm

I'm interested in that any deer SD tag as well. If I'm not mistaken the SD deer season opens the 1st or 2nd week of September, is it worthwhile to hunt the opener there or is it in my best interest to just go mid October / early November? The reason I ask about the early season there is cause the opener in MI is October 1st and it would legit if I could extend my hunting season a little haha

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:04 am

Edge wrote:I'm interested in that any deer SD tag as well. If I'm not mistaken the SD deer season opens the[glow=red]1st or 2nd week of September,[/glow] is it worthwhile to hunt the opener there or is it in my best interest to just go mid October / early November? The reason I ask about the early season there is cause the opener in MI is October 1st and it would legit if I could extend my hunting season a little haha

You're thinking of ND. SD is usually the end of Sept I believe. I know quite a few people that hit up ND for that reason... it is the first bow season to open up in the midwest, and you've got a chance at a velvet buck. EHD hit western ND and SD a couple years ago, so that did take some of the mature bucks out of the equation, but there is still good hunting in both states. I've been to western SD 7 or 8 times. If you have any questions fire away.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”