Backwoods Food Plots- Public Land Style

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Backwoods Food Plots- Public Land Style

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:52 pm

I've been seriously contemplating the idea of putting in some deep woods food plots on several of the WMA's I hunt. I've attempted to contact the managers for specific tract's but they have never gotten back to me. The Warden's haven't said no except to any "invasive" plants which means no to Sawtooth's..

I've talked to several guys that hunt GA and I have spoken to several that have put in their own food plots and they haven't had any trouble with the wardens. Obviously baiting, mineral blocks, ect.. are another animal but I'm talking specifically about liming and possibly throwing down some 13-13-13 and clover seed then leaving.

I'm curious if any Beast's have attempted this? My reasoning behind this is it could be a good early/late season spot because I can strategically place them. Could be a good pre-rut spot as well or an area to place trail cameras... I also enjoy working with plants and giving back to wildlife when at all possible.

So let's hear it, has anyone attempted to do this?

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Backwoods Food Plots- Public Land Style

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:10 pm

They tried passing it in my state on public and it got turned down. If its legal I think it would work awesome in the right locations. I've planted plots an eighth to a tenth of an acre on private and it worked great. Had thousands of daylight pics of does and a couple shooters. In 2014 I shot a nice 8 off a small plot. If you plant in late summer a little winter rye mixed with your clover would work good.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Never attempted it. Always told it wasn't legal. If it was legal, why wouldnt any ambitous farmer cultivate untilled state ground? Lots of weed filled fields not seeing crops.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:00 pm

I have never heard of it being legal anywhere without permission from the state (or feds on federal land). I have talked to both before and with the feds there were a lot of hoops to jump through which made it about impossible and with the state I got permission, but I had to let them know right where it would be for their records and to make sure I wasn't killing any endangered species (plant or animal). I elected not to do it because I didn't want to do the work and then have the DNR tell their buddies or others about it.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:32 pm

I have come across what I would consider a food plot with Rye before while scouting. I mentioned it to the FWC officer and he didn't care he didn't even want to know where it was. I don't know if it's legal in Fl or not, but I dang sure know where the spot is and have hunted the area a few times. It could be naturally growing but it is really odd to find rye here especially as thick as it was.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:40 pm

I have thought about just cutting some small field areas down to the ground and throwing a organic fertilizer like milorganite (not as water soluble as synthetics, so it adds NPK slower) I picked up a YoYo grass cutter for it too. I figure I'm not "planting anything", just getting open ground and some nutrients so there's a sweeter/greener patch.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:03 pm

IkemanTx wrote:I have thought about just cutting some small field areas down to the ground and throwing a organic fertilizer like milorganite (not as water soluble as synthetics, so it adds NPK slower) I picked up a YoYo grass cutter for it too. I figure I'm not "planting anything", just getting open ground and some nutrients so there's a sweeter/greener patch.

This works well and is a good way to go. You just have to time out you fertilizer application so they don't hammer it before you get a chance to take advantage of it.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:37 am

Thanks for the responses guys, the milorganite idea does sound like a safer alternative. In the grand scheme of things this seems to be more of a grey area that's up to the individual wardens discretion.

What I thought about in my head was to find a somewhat open area and trim East to West lanes out of the branches on a Southern slope. This way the plants would get the most amount of sunlight possible and grab some lime, 13-13-13 (or milorganite) and clover seed. I also have some American Persimmons I have growing that could find their way out there...

The chance of disrupting or killing an endangered specie is a serious issue but a quick Google search will help minimize that risk.

It's very tempting but the fines would probably make it the most expensive food plot ever planted :D

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:41 am

I know some guys who have done this in a similar woods on private land, they claimed they were setting the table for the wolves. They would mostly attract does and fawns and their wolf traffic picked up because they always knew food would be nearby. Just something to consider.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:40 am

headgear wrote:I know some guys who have done this in a similar woods on private land, they claimed they were setting the table for the wolves. They would mostly attract does and fawns and their wolf traffic picked up because they always knew food would be nearby. Just something to consider.

I guess they work then :shock: Coyotes and Hogs are out biggest issue down here, I have had packs of yotes around our tents camping but I could never imagine a pack of wolves...

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:22 am

Against the law here on wma's. I've heard of people getting tickets. Considered the same as baiting.

I've also heard of people fertilizing oaks for better production. Not sure if it works or not.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:40 am

I read somewhere that adding fertilizer to about anything (browse, common weeds like ragweed) would attract more deer, anyone know about this?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:59 am

headgear wrote:I know some guys who have done this in a similar woods on private land, they claimed they were setting the table for the wolves. They would mostly attract does and fawns and their wolf traffic picked up because they always knew food would be nearby. Just something to consider.

Same with a pile of corn too. ;) I've considered it but never tried it in northern Wis. Sure would be nice for late season.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:37 am

mheichelbech wrote:I read somewhere that adding fertilizer to about anything (browse, common weeds like ragweed) would attract more deer, anyone know about this?

Yes, the new growth will have higher nutrient contents and the animals can tell. They will most likely devour them (if it's a specie they regularly eat)

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:39 am

I have gotten clover to grow well in some open areas in the woods....

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”