bucks bedding close to hunter access trails

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

Re: bucks bedding close to hunter access trails

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:30 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I think it happens some but not as much as some may think. They bed where they don't get pressured... If there is no other place then they will bed close to roads and access trails, but in my experience they would prefer places where they get totally away from human encounters when possible.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

My best spots are back in a ways, but when the sign calls for it, which isn't the normal, but every so often for me, I find them close up in an area many guys have overlooked. To me the lesson I learned here more than any other was ANY overlooked area close or far is where I want to be when the sign calls for it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:25 am

checkerfred wrote:I want to start finding these areas. Do you guys find these beds in hill country too? If so are they on the leeward side or are they more random?

I see it a lot in low access areas where the bluffs overlooking the parking area have the best bucks...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:28 am

whitetailassasin wrote:In a lot of public I hunt guys sit right off those public roads and access trails, they don't like to venture too far(lazy hunters) and the guys that do venture deep, are hunting blind. I have killed several bucks close to main roads but not access trails. Like SB said they bed there because of lack of pressure and no human scent or disturbance more so than the visual aspect, I believe that's a bonus but still a part of there bedding there. Bucks/does will give up there eyes but not nose or ears.

Sometimes... But a lot of the ones I find, actually the over all majority are looking right at the hunter access... I don't think its coincidence. Its just like they bed in farm country right on the edge of a field wind to back watching the field... There in a spot humans rarely venture, and can monitor when they do...
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:40 am

Dan..you think they will give up hearing and smell to be able to see these access trails. Like how some beds are non wind specific. Especially in high pressure areas. Almost saying I know where the danger is coming from so I'll watch, and give up being able to smell first or hear like I may in other areas?

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:19 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Dan..you think they will give up hearing and smell to be able to see these access trails. Like how some beds are non wind specific. Especially in high pressure areas. Almost saying I know where the danger is coming from so I'll watch, and give up being able to smell first or hear like I may in other areas?

I'm not Dan but i know for a fact whitetails out west, in the plains, will often give up wind for better visibility.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”