Public land...the struggle is real...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Re: Public land...the struggle is real...

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:19 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:Your right, there are several guys on this site that have proof by that walls. Added with the info listed on this site is legit on teaching ANYONE willing to learn and apply how you can do it. Hopefully Cameron one day you and I will be there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

You don't give yourself enough credit WA........you're there already brother.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:58 pm

Hopefully one day I will be where you guys are,at WA! Lol Great read guys!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:04 am

WA covered it. That is it in a nutshell. Success costs something. Its never free. Whether its time, blood sweat and tears or money...it costs something.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:05 am

Zona wrote:Hopefully one day I will be where you guys are,at WA! Lol Great read guys!

Zona, you will be! I'm still not there, nor do I think I'll ever be. There's always a new mountain to climb, a new target to chase. I appreciate some of the kind words by some of the guys on here, but I'm just learning as well, trying to improve. When it comes to whitetails I love the chase(I've said this many times on here) it's not just about filling tags to me. Every season brings about different challenges. Work, stress, family, health, time, money, and these aren't even the actual hunting aspects or skills required to take a mature deer. That list has many variables as well. I was talking to a fellow BEAST, and we got into goals. One of my goals was to have 30 book bucks on the wall. Whether it was CBM(my home states requirement) or PY/Boone, or what I consider to be a mounter(regardless of score). I had this goal since I was young. As I've dove into what it takes to become a hunter more and info off this site, my goals have changed. I want a mature buck every year, until I can't do it any longer. If that means 27, that's my number, if that means 50, that's my number. I was so wrapped up in numbers, I lost site of the pursuit and struggles that come along, the highs and lows, ebbs and flows. I want to be the best I can be, one day when I look back, as long as I'm happy with my pursuit and where it took me, that's all that matters to me.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:56 am

whitetailassasin wrote:
Zona wrote:Hopefully one day I will be where you guys are,at WA! Lol Great read guys!

Zona, you will be! I'm still not there, nor do I think I'll ever be. There's always a new mountain to climb, a new target to chase. I appreciate some of the kind words by some of the guys on here, but I'm just learning as well, trying to improve. When it comes to whitetails I love the chase(I've said this many times on here) it's not just about filling tags to me. Every season brings about different challenges. Work, stress, family, health, time, money, and these aren't even the actual hunting aspects or skills required to take a mature deer. That list has many variables as well. I was talking to a fellow BEAST, and we got into goals. One of my goals was to have 30 book bucks on the wall. Whether it was CBM(my home states requirement) or PY/Boone, or what I consider to be a mounter(regardless of score). I had this goal since I was young. As I've dove into what it takes to become a hunter more and info off this site, my goals have changed. I want a mature buck every year, until I can't do it any longer. If that means 27, that's my number, if that means 50, that's my number. I was so wrapped up in numbers, I lost site of the pursuit and struggles that come along, the highs and lows, ebbs and flows. I want to be the best I can be, one day when I look back, as long as I'm happy with my pursuit and where it took me, that's all that matters to me.

Spot on perspective WA. Every year is a new chapter in your book of memories.

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:48 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:Cameron,

Your correct the struggle is real on public(private as well). This subject is what is so widely talked about here and the tactics and techniques used. There are many many factors that are attributes to being successful on public.

As I read through I kept thinking about one thing in particular and I've noticed a lot of newcomers and some guys that have been here awhile but haven't experienced the kind of success they may have expected and want. And here is my take. Now your area. Back, front, beds, food, wind, pressure, where there's water, etc everything. If this area your hunting has mature bucks, then you need to know that area better than anyone else around. It's why I attribute my success I've had to. I scout smarter, harder, know the land, food, winds, beds, pressure, landmarks, etc. Sometimes guys go into beast hunting stock piling beds and beds but have no idea how deer move through the area they are hunting. It takes years sometimes to know all the info needed to become successful. And guys are trying to learn several areas in one or two years. Can you be successful and get a bed or two correct, yes, but sustained success takes time.

Scout with a purpose, maximize and set goals to attain. Make your approach tactical and throughout. Entrance/exits why deer move and when. A plan of action.

In order to have success you have to have the quality deer your after. If there not there, your spinning your wheels. And what I mean isn't just seeing there sign there. Do they move through in daylight so you can have a chance to kill them? This is most important to me.

I see lots of guys struggling, when truly all the knowledge is here and so many guys have success with many variations of how they do it. But if you notice one thing that's very common with the guys that get it done, even if it's private, public, pressured or isn't, they all have detailed plans, tactics, they scout and know there areas and why they set up the way they do, they may hunt several beds, but years of knowledge has paid off, they put there time in. Keep at it man, you can't win the war in one season, but battles you can. Those battles will lead to a victory in the war. Never limit yourself and your ideas(the box is what you say it is)

Really good stuff WA.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”