Public Land Trail Camera Security

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kripp53

Public Land Trail Camera Security

Unread postby kripp53 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find anything in the search. I am planning on setting some trail cameras out on public land this winter, to see what lived and thinking there would be less risk of people finding them.

For those of you who use trail cameras on public land what do you use for security?
Do you lock the camera to a tree (i.e. python cable) or just use the straps/bungees supplied?
Do you have the camera in a security box so it isn't tampered with, especially the SD card?
Any issues with stolen cameras?
Any additional pointers/tips on setting out trail cameras on public land.

I bought a couple of trail cameras 50% off during black Friday, so if I get one stolen it wouldn't be too expensive, but every dollar counts so I would rather be on the safe side, but maybe I'm just paranoid :D

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Public Land Trail Camera Security

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:44 pm

bring one climbing stick with you so you can put it up high and then angle it down a little.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Im planning to do the same, Ill be hanging them high (a stick or two) also theyll be well away from any access, and I plan to focus on thick creek crossings, thickets, and other such terrain whete others will hopefully not go into. And I will utilizing cables n locks. Not much I can do to protect the card :/

[ Post made via Android ] Image
killinbucks

Unread postby killinbucks » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:29 am

I agree with the guys here, hang the camera up one stick. Here is a link to a vid on how to hang the cam. It also has the Lone Wolf rope modifications. I think the ropes are quieter and faster than the staps that come with the sticks. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKHj3lZ ... r_embedded
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:02 am

My primos truthcam and my browning dark ops both have little holes to accept a tiny padlock to protect the SD card access. I also use a python cable on every cam.

droptine84

Unread postby droptine84 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:07 am

I hang mine up high and try to cover my tracks so I'm not leaving a trail showing other hunters my camera location.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 am

Just wondering out loud - if us sharing how we hide our cameras on a public forum is a self-defeating game? Perhaps we should respond via PM? As it is, I doubt anyone that might be inclined to steal a camera has not heard of the one stick and hang them high by now as that has been plastered all over the internet. I can just imagine a person finds a feed, mineral lick, etc. they begin to search the nearby trees about 6-10 foot high?

There's a reason we (military) don't post info we don't want the bad guys to get on non-secure sites :)
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:40 am

Someone posted awhile back they use a glue gun to glue on leaves and sticks. Someone also said they put rubberbands around the camera then stick leaves and sticks between them. Something I night try.

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:41 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Just wondering out loud - if us sharing how we hide our cameras on a public forum is a self-defeating game? Perhaps we should respond via PM? As it is, I doubt anyone that might be inclined to steal a camera has not heard of the one stick and hang them high by now as that has been plastered all over the internet. I can just imagine a person finds a feed, mineral lick, etc. they begin to search the nearby trees about 6-10 foot high?

There's a reason we (military) don't post info we don't want the bad guys to get on non-secure sites :)

Exactly what I was thinking

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:43 am

I hang mine high and try to do so where the outline is broken and they can't be skylined. I also use cables, locks, and steel boxes.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:51 am

I always wondered about this too even on private land where I know certain people tresspass and would steal it. In the end, I don't think there's anything you can do to stop it. I mean, I've come across stands cable locked to a tree. I could keep a pair of cutters with me or even a little hack saw if I wanted to steal them. All a lock or cable will do is keep spontaneous theft down. Someone could even come back and steal them later after they're found. I still plan to take precautions, don't get me wrong, but what I'm saying is it's the cost of playing the game...it could happen.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:34 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Just wondering out loud - if us sharing how we hide our cameras on a public forum is a self-defeating game? Perhaps we should respond via PM? As it is, I doubt anyone that might be inclined to steal a camera has not heard of the one stick and hang them high by now as that has been plastered all over the internet. I can just imagine a person finds a feed, mineral lick, etc. they begin to search the nearby trees about 6-10 foot high?

Maybe so. Locks, cables, steel boxes, cameras hung high, I think you are taking a chance every time you put your camera out and leave it. A thief is a thief. If they see it and want it bad enough, it's gone.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:23 pm

I have one out but I have not seen a track back there that was not mine. By mid December it is empty. I just moved mine to a real open spot and will be easy to see this time. Maybe I will go get it cause it is the same 4 deer every night . I usually lean a 2" brach against it along the side. This makes it very hard to see from the side. I always find a tree wider than the cam and also bark the same color as the cam. Never had one stolen but I dont keep them out in fall. I only had 1 peson on the cam since March of last yr to August and this January too. I think he was picking shrooms. He walked right by it. This December I had a guy walk right behind the cam. Saw his tracks and he never stopped. Dont think he saw it. It is a cheap junky Moultrie anyway .
RogueMedic87

Unread postby RogueMedic87 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:03 pm

If you don't feel like taking a climbing stick, I usually throw 1 or 2 screw in steps in with my camelbak, hang it and throw the steps back in my pack.

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:10 pm

I've been hanging them 2 sticks high and have only had one guy notice one. I just use quick connect straps and a python cable. For the Python cable I have 20 that are keyed the same so I'm not fumbling with figuring out which key.

The only one I've had stolen on public was off the ground and in a security box and they broke the box and lifted the camera. Since then I start setting them high.

I think it depends on the area and how much risk of theft there is as to whether to go 1 or 2 sticks high. Personally I would set them one stick high even if there was no risk of theft. There's just too much deer reaction to cameras set low. And all I'm using are low glo cameras.

I'll find mature buck staging set it low and he sees it and he comes over and he smells it and he smells the area and I'll catch him that one time and that's it. But I set the camera high using at least one stick and I catch him over and over and over again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”