Public Land Trail Camera Security

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Public Land Trail Camera Security

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:13 pm

Buckfever wrote:I've been hanging them 2 sticks high and have only had one guy notice one. I just use quick connect straps and a python cable. For the Python cable I have 20 that are keyed the same so I'm not fumbling with figuring out which key.

The only one I've had stolen on public was off the ground and in a security box and they broke the box and lifted the camera. Since then I start setting them high.

I think it depends on the area and how much risk of theft there is as to whether to go 1 or 2 sticks high. Personally I would set them one stick high even if there was no risk of theft. There's just too much deer reaction to cameras set low. And all I'm using are low glo cameras.

I'll find mature buck staging set it low and he sees it and he comes over and he smells it and he smells the area and I'll catch him that one time and that's it. But I set the camera high using at least one stick and I catch him over and over and over again.

Where'd you get the cables and have them all Keyed the same? I have 4 and hate messing with the diff keys

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:55 am

Buckfever wrote:I've been hanging them 2 sticks high and have only had one guy notice one.

Yea me too except I don't know if anyone has seen them or not. I have gotten pics of people walking by them and never notice. People don't look up in the deer woods.

I do try to hide them around limbs, leaves, etc. Works pretty good.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:13 am

DaveT you bring up a good point about thieves learning tactics on public forums. Still a thieves only needs to ask other people - How do I hide my cameras? - to get intel even in private. God knows a good chunk of the people hanging around home security forums, or web security forums, are crooks. I agree I would prefer not to discuss this on a larger forum full of trolls like AT or BS (I am sure it is though) but the Beast is still pretty small even with all unregistered guests.

The vast majority of cams I see in the woods are low, so hanging them high as of right now works and helps with deer reactions as noted. I don't like to get them TOO high because that reduces how much area is observed but I like in the 8-10' range. I am camoflaging mine as a winter project too by gluing on sticks, moss, and leaves. I liked the look of that. Now I won't be able to find my own though :lol:
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:39 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Someone posted awhile back they use a glue gun to glue on leaves and sticks. Someone also said they put rubberbands around the camera then stick leaves and sticks between them. Something I night try.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

This sounds like a good idea. Use a glue gun and glue strips of bark to it....it should blend in great! One thing about those python locks...they suck! I had one on my treestand and went in to retrieve it but forgot my key. My buddy said "you dont need your key". He climbed up and basically put his foot on the cable so it was supporting all his weight and with one good kick on the cable it snapped the lock right off! I couldnt believe it. It basically busted the inside of the lock allowing the cable to just pop out. I'll never use those again...locks only keep the honest people honest!
I take my Bowhunting seriously
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Mathewshooter wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Someone posted awhile back they use a glue gun to glue on leaves and sticks. Someone also said they put rubberbands around the camera then stick leaves and sticks between them. Something I night try.

This sounds like a good idea. Use a glue gun and glue strips of bark to it....it should blend in great! One thing about those python locks...they suck! I had one on my treestand and went in to retrieve it but forgot my key. My buddy said "you dont need your key". He climbed up and basically put his foot on the cable so it was supporting all his weight and with one good kick on the cable it snapped the lock right off! I couldnt believe it. It basically busted the inside of the lock allowing the cable to just pop out. I'll never use those again...locks only keep the honest people honest!

Good to know!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Does that require a certain amount of slack in the cable to do? Like hanging it very loose? I cinch mine up tight to the tree. Hard to imagine someone being able to grab on to any part but the Tag end and that would just make it tighter.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Just like the old western movies... Hang em high
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:48 am

The python locks with a $4 hack saw takes all of 3 minutes to cut it off the tree. Cut my own off a tree...lol. Could not find the key.

I think with most guys stealing cameras, its about the easy steal. The more difficult you make it? The less chance it has to getting taken. I have used sticks and pegs to get up in a tree where no one can reach.

The crazy part? I would think that most of you on here agree...you would never need to buy another camera if you stole everyone I saw in the woods. When you spend a lot of time in the woods, you walk by a lot of gear.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:52 am

I have alot of old field habitat that the bucks love with 6-10 foot high brush no hanging high there so you have to get creative

semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:13 am

Check out this website:

http://www.camlockbox.com

I hang two sticks high, use a security box, and python cable. The website also sells an adapter that allows you to angle camera down.

As for comments regarding sharing secrets I'd offer that most people are lazy and the combination of trail camera out of reach, security box, and python cable is usually too much effort. Additionally, i consider placement. I hang trail cameras well off the beaten path. Despite this however there is always a chance of loss...

Everything that is discussed on this website could negatively impact your hunting if the masses read. This safety of this website is that the vast majority of hunters are not willing to put in the time and effort to employ Dan's techniques. How many people are really thinking about deer hunting in February? Only those passionate!
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:18 am

People in general are lazy. Just as they are when they hunt. I doubt very highly that they will go through the effort of carrying sticks(if they own any) or a ladder out in the woods. Others tracking you to your cam is just another reason to leave it all season. I use Slate River mounts and am not a fan of using the straps or cables as they draw attention from a visibility stand point.
I always hang them high, and have them hidden by a crotch of some sort.
The only way I will place them lower is if I can set them inside a group of branches coming off one root system.
I think back to the video Dan made of him dragging his buck out(the beard video) when he tells us to stop and pose for every trail cam we come across.
If you set up your camera like the guy did in that video, your gonna get it stolen.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:22 am

i did this to help hide them mainly from the deer. I textured mine with liquid nails and then painted with camo paint. It's very easy to do. A tube of liquid nails will do 20-30 cameras....suirt some on and smear with popsickle stick....detail/texture with whatever you want. I used rustoleum black, white and light tan colors.... sprayed the paint in puddles on cardboard and mixed as needed....brush apply with a smaller 3/4 inch trim brush. Don't forget to camo your mounts.

Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:54 am

Bubbles wrote:Does that require a certain amount of slack in the cable to do? Like hanging it very loose? I cinch mine up tight to the tree. Hard to imagine someone being able to grab on to any part but the Tag end and that would just make it tighter.

I would imagine if you could get your foot in there and put all your weight on it, you can break it. Like others have said....if you hang it high I doubt someones gonna be carrying a ladder around with them. I guess they could try to shimmy up the tree. If someone really wants to steal it, they will find a way. One thing I do to camoflauge mine is I put the camo duct tape on them. The realtree Xtra seems to blend in real well with tree trunks. I also dont buy expensive trail cams. I bought a bunch of those Moultrie Security cams that were on Ebay for $35 each. It dont hurt as bad when one of those comes up missing compared to a $200 camera.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks for all of the ideas, looks like i'll start by haning them high. Now i just need a set of sticks :doh:
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:00 am

kripp53 wrote:Thanks for all of the ideas, looks like i'll start by haning them high. Now i just need a set of sticks :doh:

I ordered some webbing and I am going to give this method a try.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”