Gun Hunting Public Land in WI

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Reflex011

Gun Hunting Public Land in WI

Unread postby Reflex011 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:08 am

My dad, my cousin, and I are going to at least scout some public land this year for future gun hunting spots. We currently sit on a small tract of leased land but we are all getting sick of not seeing deer, knowing that the area has some large public marshes, swamps, and hardwoods. We have scouted these properties outside of gun season, including bow hunting and turkey hunting them. I just hate the idea of putting in all the time and energy of getting to these spots for gun season, only for it to get light and have orange everywhere. I guess, what are all your thoughts on converting to public land gun hunting? 80% of my time bow hunting is on public land, but we have never really ventured out with guns. Some of the spots need a boat access only, so we thought this would help, but there are guys that boat up these ditches to get back to similar areas. Rumor has it that guys out in these remote areas push deer a lot, and are very territorial. I do not want to start a confrontation, but it is public land by all means.

Thanks

Eric

[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Gun Hunting Public Land in WI

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:12 am

What part of the state? Some areas are worse than others. In the northwoods, it can be really quiet...you might not even here a shot. Easy to get away. Central and southern WI is a different story. Its a zoo!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:12 am

How close to the population masses will you be hunting?

I hunt public in an area that is not overly convenient for the masses to get to and the local population has plenty of private to hunt. Pressure isn't crazy. Where I live though is likely a different story. Never hunted opening weekend around where I live. Am guessing it gets kind of crazy, but I am fairly close to Madison.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:15 am

My thought would be that if it gets light and your surrounded by orange your in the wrong spot.... I hunt some heavily pressured public marshes in Wisconsin and actually I prefer them to my private land... there ARE PLENTY OF BIG BUCKS OUT THERE, THEY ARE WHERE YOU SEE NO ORANGE.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:20 am

I hunted southern Wisconsin one season before I found this site. I hunted on dry land and it was a zoo I've never even seen so many people in my home state of Michigan.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:25 am

If your willing to put in the work on large tracts of public even in southern WI you can get away from the orange crowd. Most won't venture more than 1/4 mile from their vehicles and if there is a water barrier even better.
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:12 am

Well i have a couple options in the Stevens Point & Mosinee areas but mostly the Kettle Moraine and Fond Du Lac and Sheboygan County areas. Since we have never gun hunted it, the only way we are thinking is to walk in mid day and sit the remainder of the day. Then we can scout the humans. Our thoughts exactly. See where people are and go avoid that spot. That is why we want to walk in the light so we can avoid people and still try to find places to hunt. I would hate hanging a set and when the sun comes up it looks like you are at Lambeau Field! Then with that info we can sit and scout and keep moving if needed.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:23 am

Reflex011 wrote:Well i have a couple options in the Stevens Point & Mosinee areas but mostly the Kettle Moraine and Fond Du Lac and Sheboygan County areas. Since we have never gun hunted it, the only way we are thinking is to walk in mid day and sit the remainder of the day. Then we can scout the humans. Our thoughts exactly. See where people are and go avoid that spot. That is why we want to walk in the light so we can avoid people and still try to find places to hunt. I would hate hanging a set and when the sun comes up it looks like you are at Lambeau Field! Then with that info we can sit and scout and keep moving if needed.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to locate some potential observation stands close to parking. Then, arrive well before light, but just watch where guys go from the parking area. Before it's even light out, you have a general direction sorted out on a number of people. Then, as it gets grey light, setup in that observation stand near parking. You'll get a better idea of where guys are if you can pick the right spot and see the orange dots. AND, you also have a shot at shooting one as you are in the woods w/ gun in hand instead of sleeping in/waiting. If you split up your crew into a few different areas, then you up your odds on finding that piece of land that is least pressured.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:15 am

Rome wrote:
Reflex011 wrote:Well i have a couple options in the Stevens Point & Mosinee areas but mostly the Kettle Moraine and Fond Du Lac and Sheboygan County areas. Since we have never gun hunted it, the only way we are thinking is to walk in mid day and sit the remainder of the day. Then we can scout the humans. Our thoughts exactly. See where people are and go avoid that spot. That is why we want to walk in the light so we can avoid people and still try to find places to hunt. I would hate hanging a set and when the sun comes up it looks like you are at Lambeau Field! Then with that info we can sit and scout and keep moving if needed.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to locate some potential observation stands close to parking. Then, arrive well before light, but just watch where guys go from the parking area. Before it's even light out, you have a general direction sorted out on a number of people. Then, as it gets grey light, setup in that observation stand near parking. You'll get a better idea of where guys are if you can pick the right spot and see the orange dots. AND, you also have a shot at shooting one as you are in the woods w/ gun in hand instead of sleeping in/waiting. If you split up your crew into a few different areas, then you up your odds on finding that piece of land that is least pressured.

Kinda what I was thinking. Only if you have cyber intel that shows what looks like a hard to get to overlooked spot. Sit in an Observation stand to see if anyone is using it. Get in early to see any flashlights headlamps in the dark.

If no ones there get in there immediatly. There may be more deer heading there once the shooting starts.
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:50 am

Great point guys!

My cousin and dad think the same. Get in there real early and see what happens. If the flashlight brigade comes, we know to move the next sit after we observe.

Thanks!
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:03 am

If you are going to hunt the Kettles, get ready for orange. There is hardly a place in the kettles a guy can't get to in 15 minutes. There are so manny horse trails, snowmobile, Ice Age walking trials in that area it is impossible to get away from the crowds I have not been to the northern part of the Northern Kettles. I only go as far as Dundee. It is a zoo just in the bow season sometimes. I dont think you need to worry about horseback riders in gun season though. I have hunted it from one road to the next and there is very little reason to " go in deeper" cause you will end up on the next road. The dee numbers are not what they used to be neither. I can say though , the bow hunting pressure has dropped off enough that I can notice a difference but still , there are people everywhere. You will likely fare better in Stevens Point.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”