How often to hunt a stand ?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

How often to hunt a stand ?

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:31 pm

I found what I thought was a very promising stand on Tuesday Nov. 10. I marked it on the GPS and came back to hunt the stand tonight ( Saturday 11/14.) A nice doe and a big buck came out just before dusk . They never came in range . As it got good and dark , I very quietly left. The buck spooked when I was still in the stand , just a little though. It ran off for about 30' and looked around . Then they walked away. I had to go through a lot of brush to get out but it was the opposite way the deer came and went. Wind was totally in my favor. Do you think one sit lessens the chance of seeing the deer again? I'm not sure. I can say though , I have my best chances of seeing a deer is on the first sit.. Is it coincidence , or is this the case for everyone?

Huntoholic
Facebook: Garrickpfromthe603@yahoo.com

Re: How often to hunt a stand ?

Unread postby Huntoholic » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:43 pm

The majority of my Bucks have been killed the first time ever hunting a stand. Some things to consider are will the deer cross your ground scent like hear Dan and others talk about all the time. Also you say he spooked so you may want to at least change up to a different tree in the same general area in case they are onto that location. If at all possible try moving closer to his bed since you saw him when it was good and dark. Good Luck!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:46 pm

Huntoholic wrote:The majority of my Bucks have been killed the first time ever hunting a stand. Some things to consider are will the deer cross your ground scent like hear Dan and others talk about all the time. Also you say he spooked so you may want to at least change up to a different tree in the same general area in case they are onto that location. If at all possible try moving closer to his bed since you saw him when it was good and dark. Good Luck!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

X2... I'll add though that if you seen the two of them get out of the bedding area together and leave together that it's possible she was in heat and that may be the only reason he was there with her in the first place, and possibly the only reason he didn't leave the area entirely when you spooked him. If you spook a big buck at all your chances of seeing him again from the same stand certainly decrease on following sits.

In this case I'd say it's worth another sit but best would have been the very next morning or maybe next evening. By now they likely know you were there. Worst case, you can get in there and really figure it out this off season and have a new spot for years to come.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:41 pm

Seeing flashlights in distance everywhere already.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:57 pm

Do you think one sit lessens the chance of seeing the deer again?

Absolutely one sit lessons your chances the next time you hunt there... But, that does not mean you can't sit there again and still kill the buck...

If the wind and access was not the reason the buck spooked, what was?

A nice doe and a big buck came out just before dusk .

At this time of year, its likely the buck is only there cause of the doe... They only stay with a doe 2 or 3 days. You need to hunt it right away again, not sure if I would be in the exact same tree or not though.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:20 am

Thanks everyone! Dan, you asked what spooked the buck. . I am pretty sure It heard me put the bow back on the hook to rest it. When I did , I heard a little click. Then it took off for 20- maybe 30' and stopped for 5 minutes or so, by then it was dark and could hardly see it anymore. The pink was sunset was even fading in the west but I could still see it cause of the light colored marsh grass. After 5 minutes, it walked away but not exactly in the same way it came out. I am going to sit tonight and tie it easy , going in. I am going to get 30 0r 40 yds closer to where they came in if I can find a tree. If I dont find a tree I can use with a climber, I may screw up the whole hunt. This is .47 mi. from the parking lot. No surprise to any beast hunters, I dont see any sign of human activity. It is really thick and hard to get to. I can't even find a deer trail through some of it but i'm sure they use it. If anything , I would love to see this deer again , just to see it at least. Ya know. This way I know I am on to something. I never hunted this way before. I always hunted Kettle Moraine ,along the marshes but not in it. I honestly dont think people go back there much at all. I seen some sign 300 yds away from hunters, ( red flags and a rinks 29 bottle. in the hardwood edge , but noting in the dogwood / marsh grass/ willow brush) . Thanks, guys, I will hunt it tonight but it will be 59 degrees and sunny.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:20 am

Thanks everyone! Dan, you asked what spooked the buck. . I am pretty sure It heard me put the bow back on the hook to rest it. When I did , I heard a little click. Then it took off for 20- maybe 30' and stopped for 5 minutes or so, by then it was dark and could hardly see it anymore. The pink was sunset was even fading in the west but I could still see it cause of the light colored marsh grass. After 5 minutes, it walked away but not exactly in the same way it came out. I am going to sit tonight and tie it easy , going in. I am going to get 30 0r 40 yds closer to where they came in if I can find a tree. If I dont find a tree I can use with a climber, I may screw up the whole hunt. This is .47 mi. from the parking lot. No surprise to any beast hunters, I dont see any sign of human activity. It is really thick and hard to get to. I can't even find a deer trail through some of it but i'm sure they use it. If anything , I would love to see this deer again , just to see it at least. Ya know. This way I know I am on to something. I never hunted this way before. I always hunted Kettle Moraine ,along the marshes but not in it. I honestly dont think people go back there much at all. I seen some sign 300 yds away from hunters, ( red flags and a rinks 29 bottle. in the hardwood edge , but noting in the dogwood / marsh grass/ willow brush) . Thanks, guys, I will hunt it tonight but it will be 59 degrees and sunny.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:36 am

Get closer find a tree, sounds like a great spot and something you got in your pocket for next year.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:59 am

And also, those older bucks are a different breed. You can't get away with any mistake at all. I pulled back on a young buck I shot last year. Pulled back twice and still got it. Never get away with that stuff on a big buck.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:59 am

Nothing tonight but I swear I heard them in the tall grass. Awful warm and I never thought that helped any.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:52 am

I think think this the buck I saw when I was hunting. He reminds me of the old movie Papalon , " I'm still here you " I have been seeing this buck for a long time. He is old now , you can see it in his face but noone seems to get him. Aint noone passing him up neither. The public land nearby gets pounded and the private land is almost as bad. How he gets away, I dont know , the hunters have to be close. to him. I just have a hunch this is the buck I saw when I started this thread. A very big buck but not a whole lot for points. I just might be on to him. These pics were taken 2 ,lies from where I think I saw him. Later, ihookem.ImageImage

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”