Getting through knee to waste deep water

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EthanHogan1

Getting through knee to waste deep water

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:36 am

It is talked about by Dan and others about getting through water over boot high. Question is how do you/ we stay dry in crossing water knee to waste deep high with out a skiff or laying logs over the crossing and making a lot of noise. Is there some kind of sleeves or gaiter type waders that you wear on over your pants. Dan mentions being very simple but does he just wade through it and let the water get on his boots and pants?? What if it is 30 deg or so and still need to hunt like this Saturday is is supposed to be around the 30's. How do you cross water on foot and stay dry?? Any tips??

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dewey

Re: Getting through knee to waste deep water

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:41 am

Hip boots or chest waders if you want to stay dry. Getting wet is no big deal above 60 degrees but not fun when it's colder. I had to strip down and wring out clothing many times but much prefer staying dry if possible.

I have cinched the uppers of my rubber boots very tight and wore rain pants over also. Works pretty good but you still get a little seepage.

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:56 am

Dan infalt never mentioned using either do to weight and only taking the minimum. Maybe he will weigh in and let us know his thoughts

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 am

We all pretty much know his thoughts. Strip down and wade or swim across open water. :lol:

He's a little more hardcore than the rest of us. ;)

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:37 am

Yeah, if you didn't know before but do know now, Dan is part deer.

A little bit of water doesn't stop a man/deer but us normal guys prefer to be dry on stand.

I have changed socks at the stand and put wool long Johns on after the crossing. Pants usually freeze and become noisy but what I do if the plan is to sit after the deep stuff crossing.

Even if I'm going to continue walking in extreme cold weather my objective is not to get wet past my knees. Miles back in the bush, wet cloths and zero degree temps are not safe and I tend to avoid these situations. I always carry multiple means to create a fire also.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:55 am

I try to find a not so deep spot to cross... I get wet a lot. I pull my pant legs over the outside of my boots. This does two things, one is it keeps twigs and other debris out of boot. 2nd, if you go over the boot you can pull out quickly and not get aquarium boot...

If its cold out (below 30) and getting wet is inevitable, I usually undress and carry my clotehs over my head and dress on the other side. If your socks, pants, and undies stay dry, you stay warm...

There have been plenty of days that I got wet with clothes on below 30, and it can be a long cold sit. Fortunately in late season I only usually sit the last couple hours.
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:13 am

Thank you everyone for the input! I literally laughed out loud a few times. And I now know Dan is part deer and is not afraid to get naked. I just assumed I'm so pale if I stripped down everything in the woods would see me hahaha. Once again, thanks to everyone for input. I seriously like this sight so much already. It's all about having fun

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:17 am

I have some hip boots that are uninsulated. I plan to get them their first extended workout in a few weeks. Access is completely creek the whole way. If they get wet I will head back and trade em out with waders.

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:38 am

I'm young and dumb, but if "the boys" don't go in I just cross as is, if it's deeper I look for a better crossing.

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:53 am

No waders for me. Just thought I would see what others do. Just stand and bow and pocket full of milkweed ha

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:13 am

EthanHogan1 wrote:No waders for me. Just thought I would see what others do. Just stand and bow and pocket full of milkweed ha

Milkweed doesn't work so good when it's wet. ;)

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:12 am

Chest pocket ha

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:41 am

Trashbags work too when its warm out. I have used the drawstring kind that I tie around my belt like hip boots.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:09 pm

Dan said, "If its cold out (below 30) and getting wet is inevitable, I usually undress and carry my clotehs over my head and dress on the other side. If your socks, pants, and undies stay dry, you stay warm... ".

I think skinny dipping like Dan said is the right option. Hopefully no one sees you and reports you for indecent exposure

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:04 am

I think about posters on this web sight when I am scouting. My biggest question is .,, How on earth do they get a deer out of those places? Yesterday I worked too late but took a " quick scout " to take a look at some areal photos that looked good. , Was not really good but so thick, I could hardly walk. Then the mud up to my 16" boots. I am getting more serious about a canoe down here. I found a hopefully promising stand about 75 yds from the fiver. It is a mile plus canoe ride but so what . I paddled lots deer and some bear out in a canoe. It is no problem at all. This is how I think I am going to avoid crowds and brush the easy way. If there is a river close by. . . . . . .

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”