Clearing trails in the offseason.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

IkemanTx
500 Club

Clearing trails in the offseason.

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:49 am

The public spot I am on has had some major blow-down events in the last 5 years or so. There are down trees and dead falls EVERYWHERE. There are basically no clear travel paths for a human. I am constantly getting hung, stepping over stuff, crawling under stuff, and making a general racket with all immense amount of dead limbs all over the place. I would like, in the offseason, to clear some travel paths to bedding areas that would allow me to actually get through some of this without alerting deer in the next county. I am thinking of just using hand shears and picking up all sticks in the pathway. What is the best way to clear enough to sneakily get through, but not so much that it is obvious to other hunters scouting in the offseason?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Wlog
500 Club

Re: Clearing trails in the offseason.

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:30 pm

It's illegal to cut anything on public hear but if picking up and moving dead branches will help, go ahead. Just remember that the tough access is what is deterring other hunters and that's what makes it a good spot. Whatever you do handle with care and clear trails sparingly.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:46 am

It is not illegal to cut dead wood in most public areas? I often clear trails but I admit I keep the entrance hidden as much as possible. I also have taken a rake and raked the last 50 yards or so to my permanent stand locations (learned that from Barry Wensel). I have used weed killer, machete, chain saw and even a weed whacker with steel blades - my philosophy is if you cannot get to your stand, and leave undetected then you are wasting your time. I do what I need to do to facilitate this to include using creeks to access and I agree, a spring trip cleaning that creek out is smart and works for me.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:41 am

I am hoping to get access to private land to hunt on next year, otherwise, I won't be raking. That would take everyone right to my tree. If I had a piece of private land, I would do EXACTLY like you. I might even borrow a brush mower to maintain them then!

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:21 am

A trail, any trail can be easy found if they cross it so you are always taking a chance. I do trim some trails through areas I know are hard to access anyway so I don't really have to worry about anyone finding it. If you do want to keep it safe a few zig zags will do the trick, or a quickl forward and back around a tree downed might get it done. Or just don't cut a trail the first 50 yards or so and then start trimming so only you know where to start. The only danger really is someone else hardcore like yourself working the area, then they are going to find it no matter what.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”