scouting with stand on back then hunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

9pt
500 Club

Re: scouting with stand on back then hunting

Unread postby 9pt » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:53 pm

I like what you said about hunting mobile on private. I saw this work for me too this year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
rbuckleyjr1 wrote:Curious how this went for you Hawthorne. Did you have any success or learn anything by trying that you could share?

I tried it this year on some public. I went in blind no boots on the ground just cyber scouted. The first few hunts I did'nt have any sightings but did eventually see some deer nothing I wanted. I found some good sign along the transitions and set up. This area is very heavy pressure and what I realized was most buck sign was made at night. Next year I will have to push the envelope a little more on the bedding areas. I plan on doing some scouting this winter spring to find some buck beds and have more pre determined locations set up. I did the same tactic on some private I've been hunting for years and shot 2 does tight to there bedding. The trees I hunted with my sticks and stand were trees I've never hunted before. Being mobile is the way to go.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

That's similar to the experiences I have had the last two years. Almost everytime I hunted areas based of just cyber scouting I could get on does, but never had a buck sighting. I think you're right with pushing the envelope. The tough part with that is since it is a blind area you don't really know where the doe bedding is and since bedding areas are where we go there is a high probability of bumping them. I'm hoping with experience that doesn't become a common problem... :think:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:56 pm

That's similar to the experiences I have had the last two years. Almost everytime I hunted areas based of just cyber scouting I could get on does, but never had a buck sighting. I think you're right with pushing the envelope. The tough part with that is since it is a blind area you don't really know where the doe bedding is and since bedding areas are where we go there is a high probability of bumping them. I'm hoping with experience that doesn't become a common problem...

I think some people worry too much about spooking does... Often it does not matter. When it comes to bumping does that are bedding close to bucks, or satellite bucks, best to get to the spot plenty early. Big bucks don't usually bust out of there beds over other deer spooking and seem to just forget about it in an hour or so...

also, mid day bucks (and satellite deer) are more lethargic midday and easier to get past, and when they do spook groggy, they tend to just get up and move rather than blowing, stomping, and carrying on.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:37 am

dan wrote:
That's similar to the experiences I have had the last two years. Almost everytime I hunted areas based of just cyber scouting I could get on does, but never had a buck sighting. I think you're right with pushing the envelope. The tough part with that is since it is a blind area you don't really know where the doe bedding is and since bedding areas are where we go there is a high probability of bumping them. I'm hoping with experience that doesn't become a common problem...

I think some people worry too much about spooking does... Often it does not matter. When it comes to bumping does that are bedding close to bucks, or satellite bucks, best to get to the spot plenty early. Big bucks don't usually bust out of there beds over other deer spooking and seem to just forget about it in an hour or so...

also, mid day bucks (and satellite deer) are more lethargic midday and easier to get past, and when they do spook groggy, they tend to just get up and move rather than blowing, stomping, and carrying on.

This is my experience as well. I was always worried about spooking any deer and I think it has cost me a few hunts in the past, because I would just no go in a place thinking I would spook deer. On a hunt last fall I bumped four does out of a grassy glade on the side of a steep rocky ridge at 4:00 pm while going to my stand. I was aggravated thinking my hunt was blown and lo and behold, here comes a solid shooter from the direction the does ran off. I was set up for this suspected bed as I have seen bucks there before, just wasn't sure exactly where it was. The buck passed just out of range but I made a note and went back in there last weekend and found two beds, both on points across a small gully of each other. Next year will be a different story!! Long winded, sorry, but my point is I jumped those does and they crashed off right through the bedded buck, and he stayed in his bed while they left the country.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:38 am

rbuckleyjr1 wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
rbuckleyjr1 wrote:Curious how this went for you Hawthorne. Did you have any success or learn anything by trying that you could share?

I tried it this year on some public. I went in blind no boots on the ground just cyber scouted. The first few hunts I did'nt have any sightings but did eventually see some deer nothing I wanted. I found some good sign along the transitions and set up. This area is very heavy pressure and what I realized was most buck sign was made at night. Next year I will have to push the envelope a little more on the bedding areas. I plan on doing some scouting this winter spring to find some buck beds and have more pre determined locations set up. I did the same tactic on some private I've been hunting for years and shot 2 does tight to there bedding. The trees I hunted with my sticks and stand were trees I've never hunted before. Being mobile is the way to go.

That's similar to the experiences I have had the last two years. Almost everytime I hunted areas based of just cyber scouting I could get on does, but never had a buck sighting. I think you're right with pushing the envelope. The tough part with that is since it is a blind area you don't really know where the doe bedding is and since bedding areas are where we go there is a high probability of bumping them. I'm hoping with experience that doesn't become a common problem... :think:

One of the does I shot was a bump and dump. I snuck in close to an ox bow in a creek. Thought a buck would be bedded there and they do sometimes but this time it was does. They busted out and about an hour and a half later they came back and I shot the biggest one. I've been hunting this property for years I would of never attempted a hunt like that until Ive been on the beast. Last spring I found a dead 10 point in this ox bow. Im quickly learning ox bows are one of my favorite places to hunt in farm country. I've already got two other spots in ox bows I've found buck beds im gonna try next year

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:06 am

Hawthorne
When you say ox bow , r u talking a bedding style bend in the river as talked about in the hill country dvd? Or are you talking a old channel that was redirected and is now seperate from the river?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:09 am

[quote="oldrank"]Hawthorne
When you say ox bow , r u talking a bedding style bend in the river as talked about in the hill country dvd? Or are you talking a old channel that was redirected and is now seperate from the river?

[ Post made via Android ] Image[/q

A bend in a creek or river that forms a peninsula.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:24 am

Just want to add thick cover or blowdowns are a must with oxbows. If they are open with big trees they wont bed there. These are the places to do hinge cuts.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:40 am

Our main farm behind the house has a 18 acre woodlot with fence rows connecting in every direction with the the neighbors woods. On the Northwest side there is a swampy point. South side a swampy point and east side a few acre Marsh with thick brush. Bucks will bed in all these areas and we have stands close but the deer know their locations. I put the stand on my back and got in close to some of these beds to try and throw them a curveball.l did'nt have one 2.5 come out which is my minimum. There's big bucks in there everyyear pre season until my family pushes them out then they will cruise back thru during rut. Im trying to talk them into keeping less pressure and getting them to have better access. Thankfully I own and have access to two other farms were I have control over pressure.

9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:53 am

On the hunt Sherri shot my buck this year, it started by blowing out two bucks. Then once in the stand, I missed a doe. Then 30 minutes after that, my buck came in and never left alive. I'm not so worried about bumping other deer. I don't want to but I learned not to worry about it as much if I do.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:02 am

I can confirm what Hawthorne mentioned. An oxbow that is fairly open won't be a prime location.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”