SE MN APR Restrictions

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

spyder357

SE MN APR Restrictions

Unread postby spyder357 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:25 pm

If you hunt the hill country in se mn, what do you think of the APR restrictions so far specifically in regards to public land. I wasn't real fond of them at first but I am see many many more spike to 6 point bucks and a few biggins on the public land compared to 4-5 years ago. I have to admit I've come around to supporting them after seeing what a difference its made for the areas I hunt. Thoughts?

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: SE MN APR Restrictions

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:38 am

I hunt in SE MN, I love the APR there. We have seen a huge increase in mature deer. Each year we take a few big bucks now, or at least get a chance at one. I like the rule that kids can take any buck they want. I wish WI would implant this state wide. I think it really gives the 1.5-2.5 year old buck a chance to show there potential.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:57 am

I'm a big fan of it. The area has the potential to kick out some monsters. The timing of the gun season will always hold MN back but this definitely helps matters. Rather than hunting the spillover from adjacent private the public now has a greater potential to kick out good bucks.

I hope to be sitting in those hills this fall.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:28 am

I dont hunt MN but we have aprs in parts of Mi and had them in MO when i hunted there. Im all for them. I read all the time about "I was against them, but now Im for them". Why the change of heart? Sadly aprs were shot down in parts of Mi, even with their success in other areas. If some of those that were against could have seen the light as some others do, we could of had more apr areas.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dubbs

Unread postby dubbs » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:21 pm

I love the APR's in SE MN. I shot this buck on public last year.

TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:12 pm

I think it's working would help if the gun season was pushed back.Image

[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
willsk85

Unread postby willsk85 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:15 am

I wish MN would implement this state-wide. Spyder357, I think your initial outlook is what a lot of hunters feel. But, like you, if they would start to see the results of what it can produce, everyone would be on board after 3-5 seasons.

I've always said, MN could be one of the best states to hunt whitetails. We don't just have one type of habitat like Iowa and most of Wisconsin. We have big north woods, prairie farmland, and hardwoods/hill country. Keep licenses limited for a few years like they are and implement a state-wide antler point restriction and this state would climb right back into being a top 5 whitetail producing state. Just my two cents.
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:57 pm

Well I never hunted in SE Minnesota, but I would like to hunt there because of the hills and bluffs it would be a nice change of pace instead of flat land all the time. I wish MN would implement those restrictions state wide so the rest of the state could hunt deer like that.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Aside from APR in the SE, Minnesota does not manage their bucks. I can shoot 15 bucks this year if I have friends with tags. We manage does.

The thing I don't understand is the people who say APR won't work in lower density areas. "It will put too much pressure on the does."

My way of thinking is decrease doe tags. Protect bucks AND does. Idk... makes sense to me.
vwj

Unread postby vwj » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Double drop buck, I actually know the hunter, good friend of mine.
Apr is helping a lot, I do see improvement since it started.

AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:56 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I'm a big fan of it. The area has the potential to kick out some monsters. The timing of the gun season will always hold MN back but this definitely helps matters.
[ Post made via Android ] Image

Spot on

This will be my third year in SE MN so I have limited experience but compared to central or northern MN it's night and day difference. I love it.
Gun season sucks!
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:01 am

willsk85 wrote:I wish MN would implement this state-wide. Spyder357, I think your initial outlook is what a lot of hunters feel. But, like you, if they would start to see the results of what it can produce, everyone would be on board after 3-5 seasons.

I've always said, MN could be one of the best states to hunt whitetails. We don't just have one type of habitat like Iowa and most of Wisconsin. We have big north woods, prairie farmland, and hardwoods/hill country. Keep licenses limited for a few years like they are and implement a state-wide antler point restriction and this state would climb right back into being a top 5 whitetail producing state. Just my two cents.

Again, SPOT ON!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:15 pm

AC Rider wrote:
willsk85 wrote:I wish MN would implement this state-wide. Spyder357, I think your initial outlook is what a lot of hunters feel. But, like you, if they would start to see the results of what it can produce, everyone would be on board after 3-5 seasons.

Again, SPOT ON!!!

I agree... a modest amount of proper management would do wonders for this state.
SEmnBowHunter
Facebook: Collin Slogmaster Giles

Unread postby SEmnBowHunter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 am

I agree with a number of things that a couple guys already touched on. APR has defiantly increased the number of mature bucks we are seeing in SE MN. I have hunted in that part of the state for over 10 years and the age class of bucks seems to be getting older in the area i hunt. I truly think that those couple counties in the corner especially houston and winona have the ability to be as good as the top counties in the country. Every bow hunter in MN knows that our gun season is the only thing from pushing us over the edge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”