public pressure '10

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

public pressure '10

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:18 pm

I typically have heavy pressure here in MidMichigan but so far this year my areas are being POUNDED with hunters creating circus like conditions. How's the pressure been in your public hunting areas so far this season?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: public pressure '10

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:20 pm

Been pretty heavy here...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:29 pm

Two dipchits just showed up in one of my areas. Retards walk across the whole damn property with flashlights and get there late, climb down early. Glad I'm done or I'd have a coniption with them.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:03 pm

Thursday morning is was the only one in the parking lot!(must have been to windy)Friday morning I had two hunters within 200 yards and one of them wacked a deer right a way.Right after the shot I hear tick tick tick tick etc...He must have lowered his bow down. I thought he was going to climb down right of way.He ended up waiting until 8. Thats when I saw a squirrel hunter. So my hunt was over for the morning.As I was leaving two more guys pulled up. So I would say Friday had some pressure!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:26 pm

I cannot believe the pressure on the public land I hunt this year especially on the Horicon Marsh. It seems like no matter what I do or where I go I can't seem to get away from other people. Before this year I rarely or never saw other people near all of my best spots.
This morning I went out to one of my islands I scouted this past winter. This island is torture to get to since I have to go about 3/4 of a mile thru cattails and muck to the top of my hip boots. On the way out I found the largest set of tracks I have ever seen so naturally this really got me excited. After about 1 hour 45 minutes I finally snuck onto the island and found a huge rub and a scrape line. Alright time to set up my Assault and sticks but then I came upon somebody elses climbing treestand. :evil: Well I walked all the way out there so I am going to hunt hoping the guy doesn't show up tonight but wouldn't you know this afternoon with about 2 1/2 hours left here comes the owner of the treestand and climbs up his tree. I don't think he ever knew I was there and the north wind did not hurt me any so I just stuck it out. About a half hour before dark a small 8pt came onto the island and stared back out to the cattails for about 15 min. and then the other guy started climbing down 15 min. early I'm sure because he was afraid of finding his way back out. The small buck never heard the other guy pack up and leave and soon after he chased after a doe he was watching.
Glad I saw a buck but he wasn't the one I went all the way out there for!!
I'm starting to think that everybody else is watching the Marsh Bucks video!! :mrgreen:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:07 pm

Posted on another post....almost non existant.

I lived in this area for 8 years, hunted it for 15-16 years. Hunted the surrounding area for 28 years.

Never saw this little of pressure.

Abanded the area 2-3 years ago because of heavy pressure, lack of mature bucks, target bucks shedding as early as Dec 6th, not even locating bucks alive and/or can't find them at all for second bow season.

Turned to hunting 1.5 to 2 hours south of my home, lost access to that land and now I'm back hunting my "home turf". Public land in the area mentioned south is a joke with pressure.....I mean litterly would not take my son in the woods without a flak jacket.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:44 am

What do you guys do when the first shotgun season comes and the hunters are doing deer drives or pushes. What do you do if you tree stand hunt during theses times?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:27 am

I am actually not seeing much pressure either, the MN deer population in the areas I hunt has taken a beating the past couple years so I think less people are venturing out bow hunting. Can't say I'd sad about it.
ryanm

Unread postby ryanm » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:48 pm

I haven't bowhunted public enough to know what the norm is. Saturday morning the bird hunters were out in force and shot was raining on me. as far as pressure from other bowhunters, the first night I tried public a couple guys seemed to be roaming but ended up heading to the area I was thinking about going. Trails seemed pretty worn from the parking lots. Several of the places I have been have had deer parts in the parking lot or in trees... what's up with that?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:08 am

Dewey wrote:I'm starting to think that everybody else is watching the Marsh Bucks video!! :mrgreen:

I have been surprised by how much pressure in the county property next to me. It has been getting pounded. But I have been monitoring hunter activity more than deer. I am getting ready to dive in and hunt diff areas and different times than the masses.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:27 am

Stuart wrote:What do you guys do when the first shotgun season comes and the hunters are doing deer drives or pushes. What do you do if you tree stand hunt during theses times?

I shoot the buck they drive to me and thank them for all their effort. :mrgreen:

If I'm aware ahead of time that they are going to drive a small area I planned on hunting I'll avoid the circus.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Not much pressure on Monday.During the weekdays might be the way to go?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:44 am

Weekdays are just about alwasy the way to go, you have the woods to yourself most of the time. During midweek in the MN bigwoods its usually just me and the old man, we often have 3-5 square miles to ourselves.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:49 am

headgear wrote:Weekdays are just about alwasy the way to go, you have the woods to yourself most of the time. During midweek in the MN bigwoods its usually just me and the old man, we often have 3-5 square miles to ourselves.

Now that's my kind of hunting!! Past years I did the same in northern Wi but the deer population is really low right now. Do you ever hunt Superior National Forest? After seeing the huge bodied bucks north of International Falls this past summer northern MN really interests me and I have been thinking about heading up there sometime.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:18 am

More than normal Bridge. Three hunters must of found sign from one of my Benzie bucks and moved in. Their approach into the bucks area is off and he knows when they are coming in most of the time. I think this nice fall weather we are having has more people than normal getting out and about.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”