To trail cam or not to trail cam, that is the question...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

To trail cam or not to trail cam, that is the question...

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:17 am

So I'm having a bit of a dilemma. My "hunt efficiently" brain is at odds with my "minimal impact" brain. I have located several bedding areas (7 or 8) on public land, but I have limited to no history with all of them. I'd like some opinions on if I should place trail cams in the vicinity of these bedding areas on trails leading to food? I'd put the cams at least 200yds+ from bedding area. My main motive is that I do not want to hunt areas that aren't being used by a good buck, which will be the majority of these areas since I am hunting Michigan public. But I also don't want to mess any of these areas up since they areally confirmed buck bedding areas. So, do I stay out completely and setup on the beds knowing there is a high probability that i'll be setup on a 1.5yr old buck bed, or do I run cams (probably for the next 5-6 weeks with only one card check) and put my focus on the best areas? I should also mention that these are forested areas with no AG fields within 3 miles, so glassing/shinning isn't an option unfortunately. Let's hear your thoughts.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Re: To trail cam or not to trail cam, that is the question..

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:20 am

seazofcheeze wrote:So I'm having a bit of a dilemma. My "hunt efficiently" brain is at odds with my "minimal impact" brain. I have located several bedding areas (7 or 8) on public land, but I have limited to no history with all of them. I'd like some opinions on if I should place trail cams in the vicinity of these bedding areas on trails leading to food?[glow=red]I'd put the cams at least 200yds+ from bedding area[/glow]. My main motive is that I do not want to hunt areas that aren't being used by a good buck, which will be the majority of these areas since I am hunting Michigan public. But I also don't want to mess any of these areas up since they areally confirmed buck bedoing areas. So, do I stay out completely and setup on the beds knowing there is a high probability that i'll be setup on a 1.5yr old buck bed, or do I run cams (probably for the next 5-6 weeks with only one card check) and put my focus on the best areas? Let's hear your thoughts.

IMO go for it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:49 am

Without intel you don't have much to go on. I would use the cameras.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:51 am

Set the cameras
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:17 am

What Stanley said. If you don't know what's there, your confidence level can be effected, not to mention you could be wasting your time. Put 'em out.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:42 am

Stanley wrote:Without intel you don't have much to go on. I would use the cameras.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you Stanley, but, for the sake of discussion, I'd say I do have something to go on. I have known buck bedding locations and, in most locations, knowledge of where the preferred food source in the fall (acorns) are located. What I don't have is any knowledge on the caliber of buck (s) using most of these areas.

I hunted two of these areas last year and found the rest this spring. I had buck encounters on my hunts near the two beds I knew about last year, BUT they were encounters with yearling bucks, hence my question today.

I guess a more concise question that I'm trying to answer is, given a limited number (7-8) of confirmed bedding areas (all on different properties by the way) would you rather hunt them "clean" first, or, is it worth the risk to try and get some Intel/patterns and/or identify a target buck (s) by putting up a camera in the area and letting it soak 5-6 weeks?

For those of you who support deploying cameras, when would you check them? Say I put them out this weekend, and I have an October 1st opener, would you check them 2 weeks prior to season? The day of the hunt on the way to a stand location? On the way out after the hunt, other options? Please explain why you think the option you choose is (most) beneficial. Again, I'm just trying to balance efficiency (finding bucks I consider shooters, which, in my area, is any good racked 2.5+ or any 3.5+) with minimal impact (staying out, as much as possible, of known buck bedding and areas immediately surrounding it).

Looking forward to more discussion on this topic.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:01 am

seazofcheeze wrote: I'd say I do have something to go on. I have known buck bedding

Don't take this the wrong way but you don't KNOW it is buck bedding and if it is you don't KNOW if it is being used during the time of year you plan on hunting by a buck worth shooting. Unless you do have history with bucks in some of the spots?

I have found some killer bedding that was lit up with rubs that ended up being doe bedding, rubs were left from bucks checking/tending during the rut.

Granted, setting some trail cams is a far cry from a guarantee to see the buck(s) using the beds if they are, it is better to give it a shot in that situation IMO.

If nothing else just set them and check them after season f you are very worried about buggering them. A cam is only working when it's set.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:49 am

If you have known buck bedding areas, are you hunting bucks or a certain caliber of buck? If merely hunting bucks then you don't need to do anything but hunt the areas. If you are being selective that calls for different measures. I won't hunt any area unless I know there are good bucks in the area. :think:

How do you get the intel you need if you can't glass, can't shine, can't observe from afar? Remember the season starts October 1st. It does not end October 1st. I still think the cameras are a good way to let you see what's there instead of guessing what's there. I would set the cameras up in the area but not where you intend to hunt. Check them once and go from there.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:25 pm

I think good old fashion detective work can help and I'm reminding myself too. While in the area keep looking for big tracks to help stay on the older bucks. A few years back I had an absolute pig track near a hunting spot and it was a great confidence boost.
But you said wooded and tracks will be hard to come across without disturbing the deer. Well if the cams go out look a little for tracks. How many cams do you have to work with?

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:52 pm

I will have cameras scattered a square mile around the buck I'm after. Trying to figure out which beds he uses most often..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:51 pm

justdirtyfun wrote: Well if the cams go out look a little for tracks. How many cams do you have to work with?

Good points, I always try to keep an eye out for any deer sign while I'm in the woods. I actually wanted to run the cams prior to starting this thread, but was second guessing the decision. I'm actually happy to see the consensus from a lot of good hunters is to put them out, but now I'm trying to think of the best locations to get intel on bucks in the area without tainting my bed setups with scent/disturbances. I want to have the cams close enough to get useful info, but not so close that I am bumping or relocatimg bucks...I guess thats where the art/skill part comes in. In one location, there is a well used creek crossing between bedding and an oak flat, so I will likely set one up there. I need to find other high probability (from an intel gathering perspective) spots to set the cams on the other public land I am hunting. I have 5 cams I will be running this year to cover my various locations. I have more hunting locations than cams, so I usually run them 3-6 weeks at a time, depending on setup, before rotating them to a new location.

I appreciate the responses thus far; thanks everyone.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:54 pm

Stanley wrote:If you have known buck bedding areas, are you hunting bucks or a certain caliber of buck? If merely hunting bucks then you don't need to do anything but hunt the areas. If you are being selective that calls for different measures. I won't hunt any area unless I know there are good bucks in the area. :think:

This is definitely the direction I'm trying to head. More selective and better than average bucks for my area.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:10 am

I use trail cameras extensively on WMA's, the key is choosing a camera you wouldn't mind losing. Moultrie has the TRACE cameras and the A5's which can be had for under $55. That's the easy part, the hard part is finding an area that it would be hard for others to access and steal, but easy enough for you to get in undetected.

It can be hit or miss with the camera only covering 60ft by 120 degrees wide... So you really have to seek out those funnels and heavy trails. I've heard of guys talking to the local Biologists and cutting deals to use mineral blocks and plant food plots (during the OFF season) in return for deer inventory. This is a grey area though and you shouldn't just go out and put any attractants out, without your local Warden's knowledge.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:28 am

Looks like they outlawed the use of cameras in my state on public. It looks like a handy tool, but if you have everyone out there checking cameras all the time it's 2X the pressure as normal use.

I'd use them if you know it wont disturb the buck you are hunting.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 am

If you are 200 yards from the bedding, that's probably far enough to keep pressure down in my opinion. I would hang the cams and check them even just a couple days before the opener, sneaking in and out as low impact as possible...and possibly leave them there and check them again maybe 3 weeks later. I find the biggest transition of bedding is around leaf drop time (mid-Oct here) and you might see some bedding locations light up or go dead when that happens. It changes with food sources and other things too of course but leaf drop seems to be a really consistent factor. My deep cover bedding spots tend to get active around then. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”