Where would you start with this property?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

burtle

Where would you start with this property?

Unread postby burtle » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:50 pm

Hey guys where would you start with this property ? I hung a trail camera for a few weeks and I did see a few okay sized bucks. Maybe 100". I hung the trail camera where the green line is. The field was wheat. It has been cut. The other fields north of that spot are corn fields. They usually get the crops out in this area pretty early. The blue dot is a water hole of course and creeks. The white spot is a camping section. Yellow is parking and red is the property line. This is public ground, so no ATV's. Walking is the only option and this stuff is THICK.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Where would you start with this property?

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:25 am

Can you post a topo map as well?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:13 am

Well with a common wind direction I could read this much better, and the top. In the top right corner of red line is a Creek oxbow or horseshoe that is shaped to protect a deer along with being far from access. Other guys can help get you on the deer. If you go in to hunt take your camera to make it one disturbance instead of two.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:41 am

Southern inside corner of that little strip of ag that runs east into the woods looks good, the pines look like they pinch it down. I'd look at the transition around those pines as well. Look at those 2 islands out in the corn. Look at the oxbows. Look at the transitions on the east side of your aerial. NE corner of your aerial, north of that big oxbow in between the oxbow and the field looks like a decent funnel

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:25 am

As far as hunting or scouting? Do you plan to hunt it this year and haven't put boots in it yet?

If you plan to hunt and haven't done your scouting...

-I would first start by glassing/shining all the surrounding fields and see what is coming out. I would also consider setting trail cameras on the field edges or trails headed to the fields if possible.

-figure out if there are any oaks in the area and if they are holding/dropping acorns. I would base my hunting on that early season.

-I wouldn't ground scout it at all right now, too late in the season, and I think all you will do is booger the area.

-Based on your glassing/shining/trail cameras (distant scouting) I would look at the map related to where you see potential deer you want to kill from your scouting and make your best assumption to where bedding is. Once you think you know of where the bedding is, come season, I would move in and hunt as close to the bedding while trying not to bump any deer. Scout on your way in. Big tracks, rubs, etc, will give away direction to where big boys coming from. Check secluded oaks, if dropping close to bedding, good chance deer will be hitting during daylight. Stay mobile and jump around from bedding to bedding.

-It all looks like a nice thick area to hunt and there is probably bedding through out, sometimes random it may seem. The transition line just to the west of the property line on the right side of the map looks like a funnel in between the creek and what looks to be thick bedding. Most likely have deer bedding in there depending on what it is. Sit on north side with SW, covering the transition line and the funnel between the creek and thick stuff.

I also like the north side of the property where the creek splits.

-Just a start. Its hard to just go in blind with no boots on the ground.

For scouting next year....(winter/spring)

I would walk every inch of the property. mark beds, bedding areas, and big buck sign on your gps. Walk creek edges. Find secluded oaks. Find transition lines on gps. Find human sign. Mark everything. Once you have a good idea of the area, pull it all up on your computer at home and come up with a gameplan on where you think you want to sit during certain times of the year based on certain factors. Go in and pick out trees then for certain winds/scenarios. Once season rolls around next year you will be doing less head scratching and more smiling.

I also would not just stay to this property. Parking seems fairly close and everything looks somewhat easy to get to. Which probably means there will be hunting pressure. The more properties you find the better. Good luck.
burtle

Unread postby burtle » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:15 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:Can you post a topo map as well?

I will search for a topo map.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I have taken everything in consideration and will hunt it some this year and after deer season I will scout the whole property. With it being public land I know it gets hit hard. I did a little scouting last year near the big long creek and there were 5 stands within 20 feet from each other in one section.

But I haven't walked the whole property. It is so thick it's hard to even see 5 feet in front of you through most of it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”