Public land Stand and pack weight

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Public land Stand and pack weight

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:46 pm

dan wrote:True story:

About 10 or 15 years ago I hunted a new to me public swamp And shot a large doe. I was alone and had to track her, and drag her out and after taking out the stand and finding, field dressing etc. it was back out and I got a little mixed up on where I was and was dragging her thru waist deep muck heading towards sounds of traffic and i was shining my flashlight on the muck in front of me when I saw someones wallet floating in the muck.
I picked it up and opened it and was very surprised to find out it was my own wallet...

WOW what are the odds of that?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mhill

Unread postby mhill » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 pm

dan wrote:
mhill wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
parkersdad wrote:
dan wrote:No pack for me... All day, 1/2 day, no matter. I don't need a useless bag of stuff I don't need.

Amen to this. I take a snack in my pocket and a water in my other pocket and that is it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

A pack doesn't necessarily mean you are carrying worthless crap. Everything in my pack gets used on each hunt. I personally hate carrying bulky items in my pockets. For me it's easier to grab a single small pack than load up my pockets.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree, When items are in pockets they have a bigger risk of getting lost, falling out of the pocket or being misplaced when you change your clothes system a small pack keeps people much more organized, once in the tree take out what you need and keep the rest in your pack til you need it. Much easier to stay organized.

I totally disagree.. I used to use a pack in the old days and could never find what I needed. Say I needed a grunt tube... Trying to get to your pack, get it open, and find the tube, without being seen by the buck is near impossible. How about milkweed? On a just off win d I want to check the wind as the buck is walking in so I know exactly where he is going to wind me, so I know where I need to shoot him.
On the contrary, with my hunter safety vest, I wear it on every hunt, and every pocket has an assigned tool. I always know exactly where it is and can slide it out easily.

I think most guys with packs are taking to much useless stuff with them. On most hunts your only out there a few hours. Hunting all day outside the rut is a waste of time that could be better spent scouting. Even on an all day hunt, I eat before and after, not while im hunting.

A small compass in one pocket. Milkweed in another, a tiny flashlight so I don't get shot in another pocket. A grunt tube, a saw, a small thin cord with a clip for the bow, and my video camera... All have assigned pockets. And that is all I need.

I don't have to find some way of hiding a pack up in the tree. Its bad enough I have to make my big blob blend in, now add a pack and the big tree blob got even more noticeable... If your honest to, I bet most of you have dropped the pack once or more hanging it, or been busted manouvering around to get something out, or dropped something from it... I can admit that has happened to me, and one of the reasons I am successful is because I learn from my mistakes and fix whats broken... When an un seen deer sees me cause of a move, or sees my pack in a tree, you better bet I don't write that off as bad luck, I fix the problem...

If a pack makes you feel better, or lets you bring a bunch of stuff to occupy your time on stand, more power to you... But for me, I ditched the pack years ago, and its done nothing but help make me a better hunter. Its not a huge difference between me and guys less successful, its a lot of small things.

No what i meant Dan was that the pack will keep you organized between hunts, once in the stand i take my calls, wind checker ext out and place them in my pockets. When i get ready to climb down i put them back into my pack and climb down, the pack keeps from things falling out of your pockets and losing them or forgetting items in your pants you wore the day prior. I like to have all my gear in one place and when i head out the door it doesnt matter what i am wearing i have all my gear.

But you make some very good points.
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:48 pm

mhill wrote:
dan wrote:
mhill wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
parkersdad wrote:
dan wrote:No pack for me... All day, 1/2 day, no matter. I don't need a useless bag of stuff I don't need.

Amen to this. I take a snack in my pocket and a water in my other pocket and that is it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

A pack doesn't necessarily mean you are carrying worthless crap. Everything in my pack gets used on each hunt. I personally hate carrying bulky items in my pockets. For me it's easier to grab a single small pack than load up my pockets.

I agree, When items are in pockets they have a bigger risk of getting lost, falling out of the pocket or being misplaced when you change your clothes system a small pack keeps people much more organized, once in the tree take out what you need and keep the rest in your pack til you need it. Much easier to stay organized.

I totally disagree.. I used to use a pack in the old days and could never find what I needed. Say I needed a grunt tube... Trying to get to your pack, get it open, and find the tube, without being seen by the buck is near impossible. How about milkweed? On a just off win d I want to check the wind as the buck is walking in so I know exactly where he is going to wind me, so I know where I need to shoot him.
On the contrary, with my hunter safety vest, I wear it on every hunt, and every pocket has an assigned tool. I always know exactly where it is and can slide it out easily.

I think most guys with packs are taking to much useless stuff with them. On most hunts your only out there a few hours. Hunting all day outside the rut is a waste of time that could be better spent scouting. Even on an all day hunt, I eat before and after, not while im hunting.

A small compass in one pocket. Milkweed in another, a tiny flashlight so I don't get shot in another pocket. A grunt tube, a saw, a small thin cord with a clip for the bow, and my video camera... All have assigned pockets. And that is all I need.

I don't have to find some way of hiding a pack up in the tree. Its bad enough I have to make my big blob blend in, now add a pack and the big tree blob got even more noticeable... If your honest to, I bet most of you have dropped the pack once or more hanging it, or been busted manouvering around to get something out, or dropped something from it... I can admit that has happened to me, and one of the reasons I am successful is because I learn from my mistakes and fix whats broken... When an un seen deer sees me cause of a move, or sees my pack in a tree, you better bet I don't write that off as bad luck, I fix the problem...

If a pack makes you feel better, or lets you bring a bunch of stuff to occupy your time on stand, more power to you... But for me, I ditched the pack years ago, and its done nothing but help make me a better hunter. Its not a huge difference between me and guys less successful, its a lot of small things.

No what i meant Dan was that the pack will keep you organized between hunts, once in the stand i take my calls, wind checker ext out and place them in my pockets. When i get ready to climb down i put them back into my pack and climb down, the pack keeps from things falling out of your pockets and losing them or forgetting items in your pants you wore the day prior. I like to have all my gear in one place and when i head out the door it doesnt matter what i am wearing i have all my gear.

My thoughts exactly mhill. At the tree everything is set up the same way every time. Pack is loaded and unloaded the same way every time. No loose items floating around the truck. No lost or waterlogged items on the way to the stand.

Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:10 am

You have to remember though Dan hunts so close to beds he can not afford any extra movement once in stand, so the buck doesn't pick him off. I do like you guys, wear a vest or fanny pack and have things ready and put them back after the hunt but with a beast style hunt I am going to change that up to limit movement.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:16 am

Makes more sense... I just really don't have enough stuff with me that I would need a pack, and the pockets on my vest are secure.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:18 am

Iabow wrote:You have to remember though Dan hunts so close to beds he can not afford any extra movement once in stand, so the buck doesn't pick him off. I do like you guys, wear a vest or fanny pack and have things ready and put them back after the hunt but with a beast style hunt I am going to change that up to limit movement.

Thats very true... IN some set ups the buck is only 40 yards away.
mhill

Unread postby mhill » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:07 am

dan wrote:
Iabow wrote:You have to remember though Dan hunts so close to beds he can not afford any extra movement once in stand, so the buck doesn't pick him off. I do like you guys, wear a vest or fanny pack and have things ready and put them back after the hunt but with a beast style hunt I am going to change that up to limit movement.

Thats very true... IN some set ups the buck is only 40 yards away.

Im not sure i could even get that close to a bedded buck lol. Also your beast style of hunting is target specific, you go in the woods with 1 stand in mind and 1 deer your targeting. This stand and area you have been there a time or two usually so your familiar with the area.

Do you alter what you pack when you wander in the woods blind and hunt?
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:45 am

Do you alter what you pack when you wander in the woods blind and hunt?

Yes and no... The saw don't always come if I know where I am going for sure, but actually that is pretty rare. Cause I often don't end up where I intend to go. I most often scout my way in checking rublines, tracks, and other fresh sign and if the right sign is found I may end up hunting a different spot...
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:39 am

My "ultralight" setup:

Assassin platform, 6lb 13oz
Rock Harness with Lineman's belt, all ropes and hardwear, 3lb 1oz
1 Mini stick with extensions: 2lb 6oz
Turkey Vest without but pad: 1lb 11oz
Camera Arm: 3lb 6oz
Cameras, Lenses and Accessories: 4lb 10oz
Misc Gear in pockets: 1lb 14oz
Longbow with quiver of 3 arrows: 2lb 6oz

Total: 26lb 3oz. Just "stand and pack weight" for an apples-to-apples with everyone else = 15lb 13oz. Interestingly though, I was really surprised when I arrived at that final number. It doesn't feel that heavy, or anywhere close. I think it's because the turkey vest has nice padding all over, and the gear weight is distributed all around my torso rather than hanging a couple inches away from my back when strapped to the back of a normal stand. If only I were to give up filming I could cut my total weight by 30%!

All day hunting setup with the following swaps:

Assault stand: 11 pounds
2 full length sticks: 7lb
Food and 5 Hour Energies: 8oz
Water: 1lb
Extra Clothes: 5 pounds

Total: 42.5 pounds (+ 3lb for compound bow). This setup not only feels heavier because it is heavier, but it is perceivably heavier because the weight of the extra clothes on top of my stand and sticks isn't tight to my back, it's centered a few inches out. Plus heavy boots are at the end of your legs (long levers). But during an all day rut hunt like that, it's worth carrying the weight for the all day comfort and colder weather once set up.

I never see too many people talk about clothing weight, bow weight, or boot weight. I realize this thread is titled "Stand and pack" weight, but I have noticed that those three items make a big difference in perceived weight as well as actual weight.
mhill

Unread postby mhill » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:16 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:My "ultralight" setup:

Assassin platform, 6lb 13oz
Rock Harness with Lineman's belt, all ropes and hardwear, 3lb 1oz
1 Mini stick with extensions: 2lb 6oz
Turkey Vest without but pad: 1lb 11oz
Camera Arm: 3lb 6oz
Cameras, Lenses and Accessories: 4lb 10oz
Misc Gear in pockets: 1lb 14oz
Longbow with quiver of 3 arrows: 2lb 6oz

Total: 26lb 3oz. Just "stand and pack weight" for an apples-to-apples with everyone else = 15lb 13oz. Interestingly though, I was really surprised when I arrived at that final number. It doesn't feel that heavy, or anywhere close. I think it's because the turkey vest has nice padding all over, and the gear weight is distributed all around my torso rather than hanging a couple inches away from my back when strapped to the back of a normal stand. If only I were to give up filming I could cut my total weight by 30%!

All day hunting setup with the following swaps:

Assault stand: 11 pounds
2 full length sticks: 7lb
Food and 5 Hour Energies: 8oz
Water: 1lb
Extra Clothes: 5 pounds

Total: 42.5 pounds (+ 3lb for compound bow). This setup not only feels heavier because it is heavier, but it is perceivably heavier because the weight of the extra clothes on top of my stand and sticks isn't tight to my back, it's centered a few inches out. Plus heavy boots are at the end of your legs (long levers). But during an all day rut hunt like that, it's worth carrying the weight for the all day comfort and colder weather once set up.

I never see too many people talk about clothing weight, bow weight, or boot weight. I realize this thread is titled "Stand and pack" weight, but I have noticed that those three items make a big difference in perceived weight as well as actual weight.

I dont talk about the boots bow and clothes because most of that i wear and displace on my body compared to my pack and stand they are concentrated on my back and cause fatigue. When you combine a pack and stand on your shoulders the weight can add up quick. If you could carry them separately you could walk anywhere with both and not feel fatigued at all. My pack gets heavier as the season progresses as most peoples. I will transfer from a fanny pack in the early season to a full size pack in the later season this way i can pack my heavier clothes in and pack a full lunch. The big difference in my set up is the pack weight my fanny pack doesnt weigh much and my pack weighs 4 lbs without anything in it.
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:03 am

90% of the time im packing in my windwalker and 3 sticks with a rock aider, If im gonna sit all day I bungee extra clothes to my stand and fit everything else in my pocket
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:59 pm

My Alpha, Hunt Comfort Seat, 4 sticks, and Molle Shoulder straps weigh in at 26lbs. I bit heavy, but it doesn't bother me too much. I could probably cut 2-3 lbs without the hunt comfort and Molle Straps.
mhill

Unread postby mhill » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:27 am

chasemukluk wrote:My Alpha, Hunt Comfort Seat, 4 sticks, and Molle Shoulder straps weigh in at 26lbs. I bit heavy, but it doesn't bother me too much. I could probably cut 2-3 lbs without the hunt comfort and Molle Straps.

The hunt comfort and the molle straps make it so easy to pack in and to sit more than a few hours the few pounds are completely worth it IMO.
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:26 am

When I total up stand, sticks, small fanny pack, bottle of water & bow I'm at 40lbs. Little heavier than I would have thought but it's not too bad.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:54 am

My stand & sticks weight around 14.5lbs but my camera gear weights close to 20... so I'm looking at roughly 38lbs everything included. The hardest part isn't the weight but trying to evenly distribute it across my body, so my back isn't sore from the pack hanging off the back of the stand. So I've been wearing the backpack in front of me (reversed) and my stand on my back with bow in hand :D Whatever works I guess, looks goofy though
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”