Public land Stand and pack weight

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Public land Stand and pack weight

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:53 pm

When hunting remote, I have my treestand & sticks on my back... My bow inj my hand. As far as gear, I have:

a tiny flashlight
a small flat compass
a small cord for pulling my bow up
and a milkweed pod

All of which fit into a pocket... Everything else is back at the truck.

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:42 pm

No pack here. Lone wolf Stand and 4-5 sticks. I will usually have some type of clothing like a jacket or bibs bungied to my stand. And sometimes I will put a bottle of water in the clothing for after the walk in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:22 am

I need to ditch my 4lb backpack. I have found it helpful to put items inside my coat. Water bottles etc

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 am

How do you guys do it that wear all your clothes walking in? If I did that I would have to go so slow it would take several hours for me to get to some of my deep spots 1-2 miles in - but I sweat more than most I guess. My typical approach is I want to get to the general area very quickly then cover the last approach very slow - not the whole distance very slow.

I just about always carry my outer layer of clothes in and dress at a good spot right before I get to the stand. That's mainly what I use my pack for - just about everything else other than rattling antlers if I am taking them fit in my pockets. If its cold or windy I am wearing two layers and carrying in a third, medium temps I wear one layer and carry a second.

My pack with my clothes and small gear probably weights around 15 lbs average. Tack on some more for a lightweight treestand and sticks or my tree saddle. It sure is nice when I have a ground based set up way back in and don't need to carry all that.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:15 am

JoeRE wrote:How do you guys do it that wear all your clothes walking in? If I did that I would have to go so slow it would take several hours for me to get to some of my deep spots 1-2 miles in - but I sweat more than most I guess. My typical approach is I want to get to the general area very quickly then cover the last approach very slow - not the whole distance very slow.

Extra clothes get strapped to the stand, I still get hot and have to slow down and even strip down once in a while to cool off. You guys do have me curious what I'm packing on the way in, ut use to be a ton but I have slimmed down my gear significantly.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:56 am

JoeRE wrote:How do you guys do it that wear all your clothes walking in? If I did that I would have to go so slow it would take several hours for me to get to some of my deep spots 1-2 miles in - but I sweat more than most I guess. My typical approach is I want to get to the general area very quickly then cover the last approach very slow - not the whole distance very slow.

I just about always carry my outer layer of clothes in and dress at a good spot right before I get to the stand. That's mainly what I use my pack for - just about everything else other than rattling antlers if I am taking them fit in my pockets. If its cold or windy I am wearing two layers and carrying in a third, medium temps I wear one layer and carry a second.

My pack with my clothes and small gear probably weights around 15 lbs average. Tack on some more for a lightweight treestand and sticks or my tree saddle. It sure is nice when I have a ground based set up way back in and don't need to carry all that.

Exactly what I do.... You don't walk I in 2 miles down here is Texas fully clothed or u would be a dripping mess. I actually have change locations marked on my entry trails usually 100-150 yards from my tree.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:40 am

I walk in with a merino base layer on all hunts early or late season. I'm going to be ringing wet with sweat whether I walk 100 yds or 2 miles down here. I also find no point in changing a couple hundred yds out or at the tree because after the climb I'll be wet again. I find the merino does a good job of wicking & drying. It also doesn't stink like synthetics. My top layer is strapped to my stand - early season a mesh leaf suit & later a fleece jacket & pants.

Some hunts require a light saddle suede jacket & pants to protect my merino from briars or when I access thru a chockle bur field. I'll also strap that to the stand until needed.

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:05 am

Dewey wrote:I carry my stand, sticks, safety harness and a smaller Badlands fanny pack for smaller items like my rangefinder and gps. Total weight including my bow is somewhere around 30 lbs.

I cut way back over the years and don't carry stuff in I rarely use. Last few years I even started leaving my knife, gutting gloves and other retrieval stuff back at the truck. If I put one down I pack up my stand, take everything back to the truck and grab my field dressing and retrieval gear that is pre-packed in a separate backpack always ready to go. No sense carrying if I don't use every day.

This is what I do also Dewey.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:08 pm

I strap mine to my stand as well until I'm ready to put them on. But it's not super cold here so the clothes are not alot.

Only gear I keep in my vest is a pocket knife, water bottle and little milkweed container... when I used a pack I always had stuff that I considered necessary or were small and minimal but after it all totalled up with the bag it was prolly 10 lbs so scrapping the pack forced me to do away with that stuff. I like it way better also

Make It Happen
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:07 pm

After this I might drop my 4th stick and add the single stirrup again to cut the weight

parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:20 am

dan wrote:No pack for me... All day, 1/2 day, no matter. I don't need a useless bag of stuff I don't need.

Amen to this. I take a snack in my pocket and a water in my other pocket and that is it.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:28 am

parkersdad wrote:
dan wrote:No pack for me... All day, 1/2 day, no matter. I don't need a useless bag of stuff I don't need.

Amen to this. I take a snack in my pocket and a water in my other pocket and that is it.

A pack doesn't necessarily mean you are carrying worthless crap. Everything in my pack gets used on each hunt. I personally hate carrying bulky items in my pockets. For me it's easier to grab a single small pack than load up my pockets.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:41 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
A pack doesn't necessarily mean you are carrying worthless crap. Everything in my pack gets used on each hunt. I personally hate carrying bulky items in my pockets. For me it's easier to grab a single small pack than load up my pockets.

X2 especially on all day hunts. I dont need toilet paper and a sandwich in my pocket while I am setting up a tree stand.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
OZARKHUNTER88

Unread postby OZARKHUNTER88 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:49 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
parkersdad wrote:

That's how I feel too. Might not be good for fashion but my fanny pack works well and straps right to the tree.
mhill

Unread postby mhill » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:17 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
parkersdad wrote:

I agree, When items are in pockets they have a bigger risk of getting lost, falling out of the pocket or being misplaced when you change your clothes system a small pack keeps people much more organized, once in the tree take out what you need and keep the rest in your pack til you need it. Much easier to stay organized.
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”