First Post from a New Public Land Hunter

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edge

First Post from a New Public Land Hunter

Unread postby Edge » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:39 am

Hello everyone! My name is Frank and this is my first post since I joined the Beast last week. I live in SE Michigan and grew up hunting on 20 private acres that my family owns. Due to the fact that my family and the neighbors surrounding our property cannot grasp the concept of proper deer/herd management, I have become fed up with the lack of mature bucks and I am determined to go elsewhere in order to hopefully improve my opportunities. As a result, the last two years I have been attempting to scout and hunt public land.

Since discovering this forum I have tried to internalize the absolute massive amount of amazing insight and knowledge you all have shared on various threads (my work productivity has absolutely plummeted). I just ordered Dan's Hill Country and Marsh DVDs and am anxiously waiting on their arrival. In the meantime, I have been trying to apply some of what I have learned here to scouting various properties I intend to hunt this upcoming fall. This particular property (I'm sure some of you from MI are familiar with it) is one that I scouted in the spring before learning some of the scouting tactics you guys use. I found that in the pines throughout the property on both sides of the river hold multiple doe groups. After reading previous posts, I marked in red where I think there may be buck bedding and I marked in blue where I thought may be good stand locations depending on the wind/thermal conditions. I know I'm pretty green when it comes to effectively locating areas with high probability of buck bedding but how far off am I here? I appreciate any and all feedback and look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you! Thanks again!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: First Post from a New Public Land Hunter

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:50 am

Welcome to the BEAST! 8-)

Your spots don't look to far off, but you need to go in and do some foot scouting to confirm.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:13 am

Welcome and enjoy!!
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:51 am

Welcome! Good first post. Keep putting in the effort and it will pay off!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:58 am

Welcome to the BEAST! 8-) another SE Michigander here!

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:29 am

Welcome to the Beast !! yep I know that property. Lots of good public in that area.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:39 am

Howdy Frank, welcome to the BEAST! :dance:
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:18 pm

FSIII, I can tell you are going to be a quick study. Your picks for buck bedding are amazingly accurate! IMHO.

I hunt terrain similar to yours in Northern Wisconsin, and will offer my take on your area.

pictures dleted

If you walk the yellow lines, I believe you will find mature buck bedding. I base this on personal experience. You have twenty year old slashings, (thick, nasty cover) to the west of these lines, ending right at the elevation drop off... the perfect scenario for bedding based on elevation and thermals (and vision). You have the river 150-200 yards to the east...easy for the buck to bale out if he senses danger. I don't know how thick the pines are, so they might bed a little lower than the yellow lines if the pine are real thick at ground level.

I think your pick SW of the word Cass, is too close to the fire trail and will probably have human intrusion (grouse hunters), but is worth checking on foot. Often times the fire trails on the maps are not navigable on foot. My experience with trails near good buck bedding (in the big woods), is that humans RARELY venture off the trail, so the bucks sometimes will bed within 30 yards of the trail because they never have to worry about a human suddenly veering off the trail. It is quite amazing really!
Last edited by KLEMZ on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Welcome to the Beast.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:32 pm

You may want to edit your maps so they dont give up so much info on ur spot... although there are not that many Michigan members on here, Hunting Beast comes up frequently on Michigan Sportsmans Forums and gets a ton of lurkers from over there.. just to be safe n guard your hard work.

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:48 pm

Welcome, also from se Michigan

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:59 pm

oldrank wrote:You may want to edit your maps so they dont give up so much info on ur spot... although there are not that many Michigan members on here, Hunting Beast comes up frequently on Michigan Sportsmans Forums and gets a ton of lurkers from over there.. just to be safe n guard your hard work.

I agree! It took me about five minutes to find your area and analyze it via various websites. I purposefully zoomed in closer so as not to give any more geographical info than you did with your original post. Don't worry, I live in Wisconsin! Actually, You could have a moderator delete my post or your post, if you feel any conflict there.

Frankly, I would delete the pictures once you have the info you are looking for. It would suck to have someone else horning in on your time in the woods.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:23 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
oldrank wrote:You may want to edit your maps so they dont give up so much info on ur spot... although there are not that many Michigan members on here, Hunting Beast comes up frequently on Michigan Sportsmans Forums and gets a ton of lurkers from over there.. just to be safe n guard your hard work.

I agree! It took me about five minutes to find your area and analyze it via various websites. I purposefully zoomed in closer so as not to give any more geographical info than you did with your original post. Don't worry, I live in Wisconsin! Actually, You could have a moderator delete my post or your post, if you feel any conflict there.

Frankly, I would delete the pictures once you have the info you are looking for. It would suck to have someone else horning in on your time in the woods.

Good advice here, to be honest I knew the exact spot as soon as I seen it. Have floated that part of the river numerous times fishing. And like oldrank said..alot of clowns troll this website from MSF.

I don't hunt over that way personally but I do know this... A co-worker of mine lives a quarter mile from that spot and has killed numerous P&Y bucks out of that game area over the past 20+ years of hunting it. On the other hand...he complains every year of all the pressure it gets and thieves he runs into out there. He says his success comes every year mainly from the fact that he's a strict bed hunter and because his property butts up to this section he has had 20+ years of focusing on it and scouting as much as possible

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:25 pm

Welcome to the Beast!
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Welcome

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement