Preparing for the season

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

daveynewman
500 Club

Preparing for the season

Unread postby daveynewman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:11 am

I know there is no way to eliminate scent 100%. Just curious on what alot of you guys do to prepare for the best scent elimination process for your gear. Or products that you choose that you believe work. My dad is a baking soda freak lol after showering he actually takes a sock full of baking soda and taps it's all over his skin. Ecspecially arm pits, hands and his whole face.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dewey

Re: Preparing for the season

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:37 am

burkhart wrote:Wind checker play thermals and wind in face. No scent elimination here

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Same here.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:58 am

I buy activated carbon powder to put in my storage bags for my hunting cloths and boots. Not sure if it makes a difference but I know it will absorb any order. The powder is fairly cheap. Also can use it in your basement to take away mil dew odor. I also try to shower before every hunt if possible. I don't buy the scent loc clothing or scent killer sprays. Just try to play the wind.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:42 am

Just a helpful tip to avoid another war - do some searches on scent control and you will find out the battle trenches are drawn hard and deep on the Beast for the issue of scent reduction. The very vocal majority believes nothing can be done to reduce your scent and a few guys think some modest improvements in certain situations can be had with an extremely intensive effort but we are pretty silent nowadays after getting slapped up a few times :lol:

Suffice to say play the wind is about as good of advise as you can get because nothing short of a giant plastic bubble will keep you from being smelled by a deer standing 30 yards away down wind. The hunting industry is loaded with scent control gimmicks.

If you really want to try and reduce your scent footprint forget about all those glossy magazine ads, just focus on fundamentals. Stay squeaky clean, don't smoke, watch what you eat and drink, no synthetic scents etc. Then maybe, just maybe, your scent footprint will then be slightly smaller. That doesn't mean you can hunt a spot with any other wind though.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:05 pm

I have believed in scent control for yrs. But guys on here have gotten me questioning it. I'll give you my regimen.
1.Wash all clothes in odorless detergent after running an empty load.
2. Put clothes directly into a plastic container which stays outside. Clothes are either on my body, in box or washer, or airing.
3. After each hunt the bottom couple layers are hung inside out to remove any scent on them. I also spray them with scent killer spray. ( the spray does remove odors, I experimented on my old basketball shoes).
4. I shower and brush teeth, etc. before going to woods. Hunting clothes never go inside my truck.
5. I also believe diet, excersize, health plays a role. Obviously the amount of odor matters. I would not recommend doing yard work all day, drinking a few beers and then hit the woods... Come on you smell terrible. There is a point that it matters, but whether you can improve anything after a certain point I'm not sure.
My dog can smell a deer from 60yrds away watched her wind one( nose to air, and take off after it). She can also track one that is not bleeding much at all... Healthy skin could help you constantly slough off dead skin cells which leaves a a scent trail. So you don't want real dry skin. Which to many showers and cold weather can cause.

This yr I'll just use good hygiene, and see what happens. I do not play the wind in the conventional since. Hope the wind is just off enough. Most my setups are with the buck approaching me nose to wind.. I believe this will get bucks to you sooner in daylight.. They feel more comfortable..

Practicing scent control can become a real drag... Cover scent is garbage..

And that's all I got to say about that..

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:14 am

And... here we go. :roll: lol. :mrgreen:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:13 pm

The title for this says preparing for the season. Winning the battle comes down to hard work and dedication no doubt.
The scent issue can be at the top of the list or the bottom and YOU decide where, right?

I love the direction and advice here for showing me that LOTS of other prep work is time well spent. Stand silencing, scouting year round, thermal influence, etc are my focus and at the end of the day I am confident THOSE things are getting me closer to a big kill. And when I think of scent control MAYBE helping, it goes down lower on my list. This is my thought process and not meant to push either side of scent control issue.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”