Hardcore Backpacking

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Hardcore Backpacking

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Me and some buddies are planning some DIY public land hunts and I am preparing a gear list by reading others success & failures. So if you know of any good sources please post any links here.

So far I've read Cam's book "Backcountry Bowhunting" which was a great read but not really relevant for South Eastern hunting for whitetail, but nonetheless they're related. I've also seen a lot of bowhunter15's stuff on YouTube which has been extremely helpful, if you're reading this thank you and keep up the good work brother!

Hopefully we can compile an archive here for the public land warriors, which seems to be the majority of the guys on here.

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Hardcore Backpacking

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:09 pm

How many days are you planning on staying in the bush?
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:48 am

Probably a quick Friday through Sunday trip- or possible a Thursday night to Monday morning if possible. It's hard to say this early since we haven't planned anything set in stone yet.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:29 pm

Twenty Up wrote:Probably a quick Friday through Sunday trip- or possible a Thursday night to Monday morning if possible. It's hard to say this early since we haven't planned anything set in stone yet.

What kind of terrain are you planning on hunting and how deep in are you going to pack in? That will dictate a lot of your gear as well.

For instance if you are hunting deep in hills that's one thing but in flatter land, especially if there are some trails, I would use a cart to transport gear in and any deer out. That is easier than lugging everything around on your back and and then you can take a stand and sticks and that sort of thing all in on one trip more easily.

I have only backpacked out west, and the gear you need for even a 4 day hunt is probably going to weight in at 45+ pounds. Add a stand, sticks, and your bow and other whitetail hunting stuff you might be carrying like grunt call, rattling antlers, bow hanger, pull up rope, limb saw and you probably tacked on another 25+ which can be packed in a little ways if you are in really good shape but not up and down many hills. You can go the elk hunter route and leave everything but your bow and maybe your grunt call but then you have to be committed to hunt from the ground the whole time - which isn't ideal but also isn't the end of the world.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:22 pm

JoeRE wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Probably a quick Friday through Sunday trip- or possible a Thursday night to Monday morning if possible. It's hard to say this early since we haven't planned anything set in stone yet.

What kind of terrain are you planning on hunting and how deep in are you going to pack in? That will dictate a lot of your gear as well.

For instance if you are hunting deep in hills that's one thing but in flatter land, especially if there are some trails, I would use a cart to transport gear in and any deer out. That is easier than lugging everything around on your back and and then you can take a stand and sticks and that sort of thing all in on one trip more easily.

I have only backpacked out west, and the gear you need for even a 4 day hunt is probably going to weight in at 45+ pounds. Add a stand, sticks, and your bow and other whitetail hunting stuff you might be carrying like grunt call, rattling antlers, bow hanger, pull up rope, limb saw and you probably tacked on another 25+ which can be packed in a little ways if you are in really good shape but not up and down many hills. You can go the elk hunter route and leave everything but your bow and maybe your grunt call but then you have to be committed to hunt from the ground the whole time - which isn't ideal but also isn't the end of the world.

I'm open to anything but my buddies are opting for flatter terrain (this is GA so it is relatively flat). We're planning on a 2-4 mile hike in, depending upon the tract. We will be packing in our climbers & hang ons as well.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:43 pm

I've done a fair amount of 2-3 bivy hunts. If I'm dressed warm enough to sit and I can stay dry, I have no problem sleeping in the woods. A lightweight bivy is only a pound. Add some ready to eat dense foods and water and you are ready to go.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Load up on mosquito coils for in camp. Make sure you know how to refill thermacell cartridges and bring a can of butane. I'd bring a mesh hammock, bug net, and tarp for sleeping if the weather permits. Very packable, cheap, and fairly light.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:49 pm

Florida wrote:Load up on mosquito coils for in camp. Make sure you know how to refill thermacell cartridges and bring a can of butane. I'd bring a mesh hammock, bug net, and tarp for sleeping if the weather permits. Very packable, cheap, and fairly light.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I have one word to say to that.. AMEN! No easier way to ruin a hunt than a mess of chiggers, skeeters and ticks tearin' you up.. I would start off drinking apple cider vinegar 7 days before the hunt to keep the ticks & chiggers off me (crazy but it works) then load up my thermacell, maybe even bring a second too :lol:
Mosquito net is a good idea but I am opting for a roof over my head since I do not trust Georgia weather.

tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:13 pm

What part of GA are y'all headed toward?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:47 am

tmarbut wrote:What part of GA are y'all headed toward?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

We're considering the Chattahoochee National Forest for it's size and ability to legally camp anywhere. A few smaller local WMA's as well but not in a backpacking style

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”