Wind markers

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

daveynewman
500 Club

Wind markers

Unread postby daveynewman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:46 pm

Ok so alot of us hunt public land and use trail cameras. What do you guys use when you have a camera up and you get a pic of the deer but in the background you have a wind marker ? I'm looking for some ideas. I want to be able to pick it out in the pics but also make sure it's not extremely bright colors or noticeable to other hunters that might come across it and get curious and then spot the trail Camera and then booooooom stolen or broken camera.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Wind markers

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:57 am

Interesting idea. I cannot think of anything off the top of my head that would be visible to a trail camera many feet away yet not attract attention from someone passing by, or a wily old buck for that matter.

I always have just used historic wind data from wunderground or weatherspark but obviously wind and thermals vary depending on specific locations. I try to figure some of that out while visiting a specific spot (hanging or picking up the cam) but a marker visible in a photo like you describe would give a lot more info with a variety of conditions. I am curious if anyone else has an idea of how to pull that off as well.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:58 am

Yarn in a neutral color? Not sure how visible that would be to the camera, though. Like Joe stated, I typically cross-reference historical data of weather to determine why a buck walked past my camera at that specific time. Especially, the day light pics! What was the wind direction, moon position, did a cold front come thru, did a doe pass the cam first, etc...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:15 am

:think: I think for stealth purposes historic data would be the best option. If your wind marker alerts deer or other hunters you would be defeating the purpose. I like the idea though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:06 am

How would guys approach this. Say I pull a card and the pic says April 17th at 3:17 pm. What steps would you guys take ?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:27 am

daveynewman wrote:How would guys approach this. Say I pull a card and the pic says April 17th at 3:17 pm. What steps would you guys take ?

Try this:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”